Mishmash Records: audio clip - The Smiths at University Of London May 6, '83 (August 30, 2023)

Further to the tape image - here's a clip from the unheard gig:

(Note: now a full, correct setlist for posterity).

40yrs later: things still surfacing - amazing.
Thanks to Mitch / Mishmash Records.
Regards,
FWD.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Tape & audio posts merged.
FWD.

Re: live debuts.
Looking at those pre-album '83 gigs:
Manhattan, Manchester (January 25, 1983)
Rafters, Manchester (February 21, 1983)
The Rock Garden, London (March 23, 1983)
Have no setlist information or bits only suggested by Goddard / live review - so the song debuts are possible, but not definitively so.
Regards,
FWD.

the singer is totally mad,like it.reviews in those days were nice and simple nothing too frilly or flowery.crowd were a bit quiet,probably transfixed by the gladioli flying over their heads.

May of 83 - they only had a handful of shows under their belt. That would have been all the material the band had at the time, in that setlist, sans Hand/Cradle (?). I need to consult my copy of Johnny Rogan's Smiths Visual Documentary. :D

I've always been impressed that, for The Smiths, newly written material made it to performance very quickly. For example, the Jensen version of This Charming Man was recorded three days after the song was written, which I think is amazing. The band did rehearse all the time though, like all day long, everyday.

May of 83 - they only had a handful of shows under their belt. That would have been all the material the band had at the time, in that setlist, sans Hand/Cradle (?). I need to consult my copy of Johnny Rogan's Smiths Visual Documentary. :D

I've always been impressed that, for The Smiths, newly written material made it to performance very quickly. For example, the Jensen version of This Charming Man was recorded three days after the song was written, which I think is amazing. The band did rehearse all the time though, like all day long, everyday.

That wasn't unusual for indie bands - The Fall were well known for touring lots of new material well before it got released, in some cases there are tracks from the early 80s that only exist on live bootlegs and never got a studio version.

The Dave McCullough review certainly mentions Hand That Rocks... was played via him noting lyrics:

"Those lyrics again? They must cause Rough Traders concern! "I recognised that mystical air/It means I want to eat your underwear..."; "A boy in the bush is worth three in the hand/I think I can help you get through your exams...

The refrain 'Climb Upon My Knee Sonny Boy' in another song is used as a child molesting 'come on' to a seven year old in a park. This kind of ultra-violent, ultra funny grime is just what is needed to pull rock 'n' roll out of its current sloth.
But don't get the impression that Smiths are immoral.

(Sounds - May 14, 1983).

I'd surmise that the tape isn't complete?
Something isn't right & that's annoying for Wiki purposes. Hopefully, more information will be forthcoming.
Regards,
FWD.

If the tape doesn't get leaked this story is a 2/10.
If the tape gets leaked this becomes a 10/10.

He seems to mean well, but did Dave McCullough always write fiction?

If the tape doesn't get leaked this story is a 2/10.
If the tape gets leaked this becomes a 10/10.

Nah, 10/10 would be the leak of The Smiths song A Matter Of Opinion.

‘The only known surviving recording of this song is that of a rehearsal upstairs at Joe Moss' Crazy Face Clothing Co. from around December 1982. It is in the hands of Mike Joyce and is therefore unlikely to leak on bootlegs.’

‘Complete lyrics are unknown but the following lines have been given by journalist Simon Goddard in an article to Record Collector magazine in June 2003 and in his essential books "The Songs That Saved Your Life" and "Mozipedia".’

"Oh, sit by the fire with your book
and pretend that you're active
But the very last stage of a nuclear age
is not attractive"
"God bless the boys on the factory floor"
"This is just something that happens to other people"
"When will you stand up and say what you really want to?"
(chorus)
"Oh, it's all a matter of opinion"

Having gone down several rabbit holes today - I think it is just a possibly misremembered piece that mentions The Hand That... & Jeane as if they were played?
The soundboard tape owner asserts the setlist is 'full' - so we're at a historical impasse with what to believe.
If we add the two aforementioned songs, that's 11 songs played and that might be pushing it for an early setlist perhaps?
Regards,
FWD.

Having gone down several rabbit holes today - I think it is just a possibly misremembered piece that mentions The Hand That... & Jeane as if they were played?
The soundboard tape owner asserts the setlist is 'full' - so we're at a historical impasse with what to believe.
If we add the two aforementioned songs, that's 11 songs played and that might be pushing it for an early setlist perhaps?
Regards,
FWD.
McCullough's line in his review about Miserable Lie being 'their usual last song' certainly gives the impression that he has seen them live more than once or twice before even by that early stage.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom