Mike Joyce's 'Greatest Hits'

A

Anonymous

Now, I know it's tradition, if not a legal obligation, that we all despise Joyce Michael after the court case. But - casting your minds back - if you can - back to the Smiths days, before all that nastiness - what do you think were his greatest moments? Can you even admit to yourself that he had any?

Personally I'm quite partial to the drums on 'What She Said'.

Surely the drums on The Queen is Dead (song) are one of *the* great moments in recorded music???

The way the drums are recorded on all the Smiths albums is very "'80s", I think. The least of all on Meat is Murder. I think that's his best drumming on an album, but even there just listen to the '80s effects. I'm just listening to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.
The drums are always pushed back, too; not like on a Fall record, say, where the drums and rhythm are very much upfront. Those Beggars Fall albums haven't aged a day, whereas the drum sounds on the Smiths records hasn't fared so well.

Death Of A Disco Dancer
Vicar In A Tutu
London

The end of Rubber Ring -- fantastic!
What She Said
Death of a Disco Dancer
I Know It's Over (live)
How Soon is Now?
The Headmaster Ritual
Paint a Vulgar Picture
Sweet and Tender Hooligan (!!)
Work is a Four Letter Word

I Know It's Over (live) Rank version is stunning

also like the snare hit rhythm on Girl Afraid

It's pretty subtle, but I like all the little hi-hat hits on 'Never Had No One Ever'. It's not just a straight beat on the verses, he throws in these nice little accents and taps.

I've never really paid attention to the drums in any smiths song. Everything else-voice, guitar, bass, etc I do, but bot the drums

They never jump out at you, like a Who or Stones song.

How could I forget? Interesting Drug.

Effing rocking drumming there. Love how he reinvents that standard 1989 snare groove (think Stone Roses) by disrupting it with a bass kick on the offbeat.

imho his best work..I loved hearing the band play it live in 2007 but the feel just wasn't right..
How could I forget? Interesting Drug.

Effing rocking drumming there. Love how he reinvents that standard 1989 snare groove (think Stone Roses) by disrupting it with a bass kick on the offbeat.

Back
Top Bottom