Ludus

I think Night and Day has the original vinyl records. You may be able to get her to scan them if she has them.

I haven't seen her on here in a long time though.

Yeah, I haven't come around that often as before...

I'm afraid I don't have any of the original records/cassettes apart from "My Cherry Is In Sherry"... all the scans of record covers came from Soulseek or various websites.

Also "Acknowledgement" from the LTM compilation "Auteur Labels:New Hormones 1977-82":

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9O51DUX
That's actually from Devine & Sterling 2001 CD "Requiem" ("Clint Eastwood, Clare Offreduccio and me") http://www.ltmrecordings.com/luduscat.html

DEVINE & STERLING REQUIEM (LAND 14) £7
LTM have a limited number of CD copies of the 2001 collaboration between Ian Devine and Linder Sterling, titled Clint Eastwood, Claire Offreduccio and Me. This largely electronic Requiem comprises seven tracks: Enquiry, Recognition, Judgement, Invitation, Admission, Acknowledgement, Grace. These are 21 haunting minutes that any Ludus and Linder completist should not miss.

Reviews: "Working with gritty layered guitars over which Linder triggers sound samples... the piece recalls the shifting soundscapes of Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting. While many of the CD's themes - in particular, the parallels Linder makes between the bandlands of Spagetti Western and north Manchester, and the enduring interest in female divinity - are picked up in other Linderland works, this stands alone as a commendable experiment that can only broaden definitions of performance" (The Wire, 05/2001)

downlink link for the entire album:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4q3oby

wow, thanks for the correct info on this and the link to the devine & sterling cd... i've been looking for that for ages!:D

It may also be on that compilation, but I have no idea why, since it was not recorded 1977-1982 but 20 years later (and technically, not even under the name Ludus). :confused:

This is absolutely brilliant, anthony! Thank you for sharing with us!! :D
Wow, just listen to those sounds -- Ludus really taps into the mind :guitar:

This is absolutely brilliant, anthony! Thank you for sharing with us!! :D
Wow, just listen to those sounds -- Ludus really taps into the mind :guitar:

thank you :o, but the real thanks goes to iain and linder for okaying this and rob for putting it back out here for us!

and everyone, please add quick stab to yr myspace friends and send rob a quick thank you for being kind enough to do this! :D :D :D

even bigger news on the LUDUS front... the possibility of the vaults opening???

a facebook message to me from rob/quickstab:

<i>You might like to know that Linder has said to Ian:
"We sound so otherworldly, like a new civilisation beaming into Bury.
Your guitar sounds FANTASTIC. I've downloaded it for further listening - let's get more out!"

It is possible that, because of *YOU* , some more previously unheard recordings (or even some *NEW* Ludus material!) may emerge!!</i>

wow!!!

http://nonotnyet.blogspot.com/

i have in my sweaty palm a tape of what might be the gallery
gig they are referring to ... or at the very least one 2 or 3
weeks earlier

Ludus interview, NME 5th September 1981

MILITANT WORDS IN A ROCK AND ROLL VACUUM

Another routine interview concluded, I said thank you to Ludus. I popped the recorder in a pocket and looked for the bar. There's not much else to do in a dark mid-week mid-Manchester discotheque.
But Ludus had other ideas. "Aren't you going to ask us our message for the world, then?" said Ian Devine, the group's guitarist. "Don't you want to talk about Politics?"
He wasn't smiling, but it took me a moment to see he was serious. I said that I don't usually raise politics in interviews any more, that it proved too unpopular. And while Linder Ludus sat back in shadow, the other two Luduses leaned forward, suddenly alert.
Well Ludus are a militant group, they said. Ian Devine explained "Everything we do is a reflection of what we feel about things generally. You say most people shy away from talking about it...well, hopefully the day will come when your paper's just full of people saying 'Look, we find it indecent to be talking about rock and roll in a vacuum'. Hopefully, the music papers will be full of bands saying 'We do give a toss about the world, and we are gonna do our bit, do our damnedest to change things, however small that attempt may be.' "
Tough talk from a group often dismissed as effete, artsy doodlers. Dids, aka Graham Dowdell, who's the drummer, took up the theme: "Rock's always taken a covert fascist stance really, in the way that it's always been male dominated and hero-dominated. And it's time to get away from that, time for rock musicians to look outside the stereotyped sexual relationships.
Linder's lyrics say very specific things about women's position in the world, and the music hopefully states similar things in more general terms. When we don't comply with traditional musical forms, that's a manifestation of a refusal to comply with the forms of a society that's been dished down to us...Rock isn't supposed to be put on a pedestal as 'Art' and seperated from life."
Okay. Ludus, it's fairly clear, don't approach the fun world of popular music-making in quite the same way as the majority of their contemporaries. And the three years of the group's exsistence have seen them grow more, not less, distanced from it.
Once a highly-promising new oufit who played early dates supporting Magazine, they've since split and splintered and come back in different shapes, and drifted steadily away from the mainstream of commercial potential and critical acceptance. Once upon a time, NME described them as "bewitching, elaborate and precarious". By the time of their most recent review, a former admirer saw them as "precious but worthless".
I used to rate them an awful lot. Nowadays, although I can admire their uncompromising stance, their musical output seems more erratic: flashes of magic and puddles of boredom.
Line-up wise, the one constant element since formation has been the singing of Linder, a sort of ethereal jazz. Her remarkable graphics, including drawings and montage (she was responsible for early Buzzcocks and Magazine cover work also) are another integral feature of Ludus product.This was taken to its highest stage yet with the release of 'Pickpocket', a cassette/booklet package on Manchester's New Hormones label, designed by her, compromising a six-track tape and magazine of Linder's words amd pictures by a friend, Birrer. The tape follows two vinyl releases ('The Visit' EP and a single 'My Cherry Is In Sherry'/'Anatomy is Not Destiny' and precedes a new 45 'Mother's Hour'/'Patient'.
As former musicians "drifted away", Ludus came to rest on a nucleus of Linder, Ian Devine and Graham Dowdell. As yet, no one's been slotted in as a permanent bass-player, though "live auditions" continue. And now they find themselves with a backlog of unrecorded material, to be committed to a LP (or perhaps a double 12") "when New Hormones can afford it". What can be certain is that the finished result will be intensely individual, owing little to anything else around.
For one thing, the group lay stress on improvisation, a tactic that's hardly calculated to endear them to a wide audience. Or is it?
"About a year ago," said Linder, "we were doing these gigs that were totally improvised and we thought that people would really hate it, be abusive and walk out. But they didn't - and we were really surpirsed."
Whatever the reviews say, the band's infrequent live shows demostrate there's a sizeable crowd prepared to bear with Ludus' experiments. Maybe the post-punk climate has been changing in their favour?
Ian: "A year ago we were supporting UB40 at the Factory and we just got the most terrible abuses right through the set. We were playing, then we stopped, and it was 'f***-off f***-off'. And yet tonight (a show at Manchester's Gallery) the response was much nicer. So the response has changed, but that's an active thing, due to our perserverance, rather than that an external force has become more favourable."
And Ludus are ambitious: Ian Devine, particularly, shows no fondness for cult appeal. He's fed up with them being "the oldest up-and-coming group"..."The Visit sold 3500 really quickly, and the next single sold 1000, which is really poxy - any band can get rid of 1000 singles. And our single was an attempt to be more accessible."
Lack of wider accaptance, they claim, is due to factors like limited press exposure and no funds to advertise with, rather than to their music.
"I don't think it's inaccessable," says Graham reasonably. "It's hopefully rich and interesting, but I don't think it's difficult to enjoy, or difficult to listen to. We try to make parts of it danceable." (Looking around the disco, it's not easy to imagine the sounds of, say, Ludus' 'Mutilate' inducing night fever on any large scale. Anyhow...)
Ian devine gets impatient: "This thing about inaccessability. Some bands break through really quickly: they form, three months later they're immensely popular. You get other bands who take two or three years to come through, and that's what we're gonna do. We'll do it eventually, we'll break through. We'll sell 10,000 records instead of 1000. It's just a matter of time."
Graham:"But we wouldn't be interested in diluting the music to do that. It's vital that the popularity is on our terms"
And that, I take it, means the songs remaining as committed as ever? Linder agrees, especially in the area that's loosely called feminism:"I can't help but deal with those things, because I'm a woman and I'm writing the lyrics. That's how I see the world; and I'm treated in a certain way because I happen to be female. It concerns me."
And your music? Linder:"It would be easy - because we're technically able - we could easily do a jazzy set or Latin American. It would be easy for us to think, let's become fashionable and develop a very slick, easy sound. But we're not interested.

By Paul Du Noyer, NME Sept 5 1981

wow... i'd love to hear that. any chance of doing a nice digital rip of it soon???

its the gallery, manchester 22/7/1981
its not the complete gig from memory
but how many ludus bootlegs do you
actually see these days??
i'll see what i can do ...

i was going to digitize this but given the avalanche of silence i got in response
i'm not sure i'll bother

i was going to digitize this but given the avalanche of silence i got in response
i'm not sure i'll bother

please do! i've had over three dozen downloads of the ludus stuff on my blog, so someone out there besides me would lurve to hear this! i didn't reply promptly as i just started a new job and i've been rather occupied... ^_^

LINDER ~
"Your Actions Are My Dreams"

091031%20Linder%20on%20beach%204%20(C)%20Tate%20St%20Ives%20Photo%20(C)%20Steve%20Tanner.jpg

091031%20Linder%20on%20beach%202%20(C)%20Tate%20St%20Ives%20Photo%20(C)%20Steve%20Tanner.jpg

beautiful

Back
Top Bottom