Lifeguard On Duty & Happy Lovers United on upcoming bootleg LP

Why should a bootlegger put several released or leaked outtakes togehter with those 2 highly interesting songs?
This could only mean he is in possesion of all (or at least some) the known outtakes of the EMI years (like Stephane or good old Mr. Reynolds) or it is indeed a fake.
My only mistake is, I’m hoping.

Last edited:
I have so much to learn. I didn't even know they existed. I would love to hear all of those songs! I am so thankful for the knowledgeable Moz fans here.

I'm holding out hope...

overdue.png

Joey likes this.

Hmmm.... and nobody even mentions KIT!. I wonder who has a version of Morrissey singing that???.
Now that would be something worth having! :-D

In that case, the only thing that really needs asking is: are they worth the potential excitement of actually getting to hear them?

I love them both. I think they're among the best unreleased songs now that "Honey You Know Where To Find Me" and "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" have been released.

Both are mid-tempo songs. I particularly love "Lifeguard On Duty", it has a Smiths feel to it and a great singalong chorus. As for "Happy Lovers United", when Morrissey sings "Cause she is so kind and he is so clever" it reminds me of another song, I think "Ouija Board..." when Morrissey sings "she has now gone from this unhappy planet".

Perhaps now that Morrissey is out of a record contract he might accept EMI offers to re-release his back catalogue with bonus material. These songs would surely make it on expanded editions of "Viva Hate" or "Bona Drag". My dream would be for EMI to do with Morrissey what they did with the Radiohead back catalogue: each album a 2cd+DVD boxset. CD1 = regular album, remastered, cd2 = all b-sides and radio sessions etc, DVD = all videos and some tv appearances from the era. Inside the boxset are also cards showing the artwork from the album's single.

Stephane

Stephane-

Why would you not share these great songs if you have them? It seems odd to me that you would tell people you have the songs, but refuse to share.

-Lucas

Because Stephane is a man of principle and by sharing them he would betray his source, to whom, I'm guessing, promises were made.

Peter

Because Stephane is a man of principle and by sharing them he would betray his source, to whom, I'm guessing, promises were made.

Peter

I guess it's "so near, yet so far" syndrome really. A fan has them in their possession, says they're brilliant and yet for one reason or another isn't uploading them to share.

I completely see both sides of the argument. I've pretty much given up hope of ever hearing them.

Having been in Stephane's position myself before I chose not to do anything with it.

Perhaps now that Morrissey is out of a record contract he might accept EMI offers to re-release his back catalogue with bonus material. These songs would surely make it on expanded editions of "Viva Hate" or "Bona Drag". My dream would be for EMI to do with Morrissey what they did with the Radiohead back catalogue: each album a 2cd+DVD boxset. CD1 = regular album, remastered, cd2 = all b-sides and radio sessions etc, DVD = all videos and some tv appearances from the era. Inside the boxset are also cards showing the artwork from the album's single.

Stephane

I'm with you on this one... let's start a campaign...

Dave

I guess it's "so near, yet so far" syndrome really. A fan has them in their possession, says they're brilliant and yet for one reason or another isn't uploading them to share.

I completely see both sides of the argument. I've pretty much given up hope of ever hearing them.

Having been in Stephane's position myself before I chose not to do anything with it.

What was it you couldn't share or reveal?

Peter

Peter

Ah. That makes sense. Maybe one day those songs will surface.

-Lucas

P.S. I think you were the one who posted "How to play I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" on youtube. Thank you for teaching me one of my first songs on guitar. :guitar:

Last edited:
What was it you couldn't share or reveal?

Peter

I got a few promo-CDs around the Greatest Hits/YoR time, was tempted to let them out anonymously but didn't. Also some behind-the-scenes rushes from a TV show he filmed around 2006 (the show went out, but this is unedited stuff) - I'll drop it one day, but feel it's still a bit too soon and wouldn't want to affect anyone elses career.

I love them both. I think they're among the best unreleased songs now that "Honey You Know Where To Find Me" and "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" have been released.

Stephane

Which, in my opinion, isn't saying much. They weren't released for a reason people...

Back
Top Bottom