Last night at The Smyths / book launch

Here are my pictures from a brilliant night. Had the pleasure of seeing the Smyths twice in a week thanks to seeing them at the Night and Day the previous Sunday - they were absolutely amazing both times. I'll also echo Steph's thanks to Phill for frankly going above and beyond the call of duty in driving us down there and back. Top bloke.

Anyway, here are the pictures!!

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0259.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0261.jpg

Might be Polina. Hope you all had a great time, especially Gemma ;-) x

Deano, we did....
would have even been better had you been there too:(

Jukebox Jury

Ps we are top o' the league, say we are top o' the league:)

Phil,

if the book is called "Morrissey's (wherever") why on earth were Rourke and Joyce there when legally, they had nothing to do with anything?

Phil,

if the book is called "Morrissey's (wherever") why on earth were Rourke and Joyce there when legally, they had nothing to do with anything?

Liam
I suggest you go and look up the name of the new book. Then work out what song the name of the book was taken from. Then work out who played bass and drums on the said song. And then work out the answer to your own question.:cool:

Plus, over 100 other people there that night also legally had nothing to do with anything, but you are not questioning their appearance are you??
Are Mike & Andy only allowed to go places where they (according to you) have a legitimate claim to be there - or places that meet with your approval?

You are making yourself look silly now Liam.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Oh give me a f***ing break. At the end of the day who gives a f*** about Joyce. He does nothing these days but hang around Morrissey/Smiths events and djs not particularly any better than anyone else could. At least Morrissey still lives his self made heritage and still works as an artist instead of trying to latch onto very low level connections with the past. How many past artists do you really see doing the same? They generally move on or have some dignity and don't try to pretend they care when they did their upmost to destroy a great legacy. And please, the shorts and t shirt! Style and class!

People would give you much more credit if you had bowed out of the band when it split like any other band but no, someone had to dishonour that heritage.

And Andy Rourke seems to have spent a considerable time throughout Morrissey's US tour following him and dj-ing at venues post show in the same city. What the f***? Is that all you can muster. I personally if I had had a problem with Morrissey would certainly not have lowered myself to following him around dj-ing at after shows.

Doesn't it go to prove that the true artists in the band were the ones who are still being viable artists ie Morrissey and Marr. If they were so good on their own and the Smiths would not have happened without them then don't you think they would be doing something a little bit more creative? Where's your art, let's see it. Prove yourselves.

Oh give me a f***ing break. At the end of the day who gives a f*** about Joyce. He does nothing these days but hang around Morrissey/Smiths events and djs not particularly any better than anyone else could. At least Morrissey still lives his self made heritage and still works as an artist instead of trying to latch onto very low level connections with the past. How many past artists do you really see doing the same? They generally move on or have some dignity and don't try to pretend they care when they did their upmost to destroy a great legacy. And please, the shorts and t shirt! Style and class!

People would give you much more credit if you had bowed out of the band when it split like any other band but no, someone had to dishonour that heritage.

And Andy Rourke seems to have spent a considerable time throughout Morrissey's US tour following him and dj-ing at venues post show in the same city. What the f***? Is that all you can muster. I personally if I had had a problem with Morrissey would certainly not have lowered myself to following him around dj-ing at after shows.

Doesn't it go to prove that the true artists in the band were the ones who are still being viable artists ie Morrissey and Marr. If they were so good on their own and the Smiths would not have happened without them then don't you think they would be doing something a little bit more creative? Where's your art, let's see it. Prove yourselves.

Post of the century.

it's not that hard to understand, Mike & Andy actually played in a band called The Smiths, I being a Smiths fan do want to hear about their time in the band that changed my life & I for one are glad they do come to such events rather than just disappear, so well done Mike & Andy for being so accessible (oh & Johnny too when he's about).

love

Grim

Liam
I suggest you go and look up the name of the new book. Then work out what song the name of the book was taken from. Then work out who played bass and drums on the said song. And then work out the answer to your own question.:cool:

Plus, over 100 other people there that night also legally had nothing to do with anything, but you are not questioning their appearance are you??
Are Mike & Andy only allowed to go places where they (according to you) have a legitimate claim to be there - or places that meet with your approval?

You are making yourself look silly now Liam.

Jukebox Jury

Before I start on that, i should point out I have nothing against the shorts and t shirt look. In fact, knowing the heat in some of these small places, probably wise choice.

Anyway, as wots his face said, Joyce and Rourke have spent the last 19 years living off the legacy that Morrissey and Marr provided them with, tacking onto anything Morrissey/Smiths related annd refusing to do anything new artistically.

Your devotion to all things Morrissey/Smiths related is extremely impressive, but for once Phil surely this was the night YOU took the spotlight, as it was your research and writings which caused those 100+ people to at least partly be there. But oh no, Joyce and Rourke couldnt possibly let someone else have the spotlight could they?

Your point about who played Drums and Bass (or The Bass Guitar if we want to be technical about it) is irrelevant. You got the title from "Panic" and the contents of the book are based on Morrisseys lyrics. Although I havent read the book, i daresay there isnt a single reference point anywhere in it that says something along the lines off "And Mike Joyce was inspired to do the drums to (insert song here) by this (insert place/object/event here).

So when you do the sequel, based on the lyrics to Quarry and Ringleader, can we reasonably expect every event to be attended by Gary Day, Deano and Matt Walker?

You said the same about my Phil Collins post!!! MAKE YOUR MIND UP BOY!

Anything that contains reference to the great Phillip Collins cannot be classified as merely a post more of a biblical entry.

Just returned to good old Germany from my London Trip!

Thanks to Simone, I entered the gig, too!
Unfortunately very late (about 9pm) as I cant find the right location with the Street address.

Anyway a funny day, I think youll never get any closer to a Smiths concert nowadays.

As I cant afford it, I bought the Panic Book in the morning at Waterstone, to recorgnized later that I spend 3 Pound to much :mad: But it was worth the money as a nice story was happened. First I asked a guy from Waterstone in the music-book department about the book, he just started singing "Panic" and a glimmer in his eyes shows his memories :rolleyes: then he went to the Travel-Book (!!!) department and gave me the book. On the cashdesk the girl also started singing "Panic" as I payed the book with a feeling to wake up good old times at Waterstone :D

Before I start on that, i should point out I have nothing against the shorts and t shirt look. In fact, knowing the heat in some of these small places, probably wise choice.

Anyway, as wots his face said, Joyce and Rourke have spent the last 19 years living off the legacy that Morrissey and Marr provided them with, tacking onto anything Morrissey/Smiths related annd refusing to do anything new artistically.

Your devotion to all things Morrissey/Smiths related is extremely impressive, but for once Phil surely this was the night YOU took the spotlight, as it was your research and writings which caused those 100+ people to at least partly be there. But oh no, Joyce and Rourke couldnt possibly let someone else have the spotlight could they?

Your point about who played Drums and Bass (or The Bass Guitar if we want to be technical about it) is irrelevant. You got the title from "Panic" and the contents of the book are based on Morrisseys lyrics. Although I havent read the book, i daresay there isnt a single reference point anywhere in it that says something along the lines off "And Mike Joyce was inspired to do the drums to (insert song here) by this (insert place/object/event here).

So when you do the sequel, based on the lyrics to Quarry and Ringleader, can we reasonably expect every event to be attended by Gary Day, Deano and Matt Walker?

*Sigh*
OK, Mike and Andy's PR agent happens to be a friend of mine. They all happened to be in London that very day. At 7pm she calls me saying they have finished for the day and put it to the pair they might like to attend the launch and they said they would be up for it if me and the band was happy for that to happen. BUT they wanted to view the gig from backstage not walk through the main door and cause a scene and also distracting the attention away from the band. No problem and rear door entrance they took and watched the gig practically anonymously. In the dark few noticed. The event was not about me being in the spotlight but the book being in the spotlight. I actually watched the gig from the back of the room just watching everyone enjoy themselves. After the gig both stayed backstage with the band. A few people got backstage too and eventually Mike came out at the bar. Their presence - as it was not advertised prior - neither affected sales positively or negatively. Had it been announced they were attending Im sure the venue would have been full. They simply and genuinely wanted to be there. And I was more than happy for that to happen, for some if not many, it made the night even better.

And for future books, Gary, Deano, Alain etc etc are more than welcome to attend if they wish too. And even if I did not invite them (I dont have contact details for them), they can attend as members of the public. I had intended to email Boz and ask him if he wanted to attend if he was in the area as he lives locally but never got round to it sadly.:(

Jukebox Jury

First I asked a guy from Waterstone in the music-book department about the book, he just started singing "Panic" and a glimmer in his eyes shows his memories :rolleyes: then he went to the Travel-Book (!!!) department and gave me the book.

Thanks
Yes, there are two Waterstones in Manchester city centre and the one in the Arndale sells the book in the travel section, St Ann's Sq in the music section:confused:

Jukebox Jury

Thanks
Yes, there are two Waterstones in Manchester city centre and the one in the Arndale sells the book in the travel section, St Ann's Sq in the music section:confused:

Jukebox Jury

I was in St Ann's the other day, and it wasn't there.

You do realise that you don't actually make any money when you buy copies of your own book, don't you Phil? ;)

Back
Top Bottom