I.D. Snaps of 'just m'

Re: ID snaps

Historically and educationally one of the best photo sessions Morrissey has ever done. So gorgeous and telling, every one.

Some more colour contact sheets from this guy:

main.php

main.php

When that YouTube clip hit the Frink last summer I posted these memories of 'cowboymod' ~

" I thinks I remember this guy. Back in about 2004 he posted alot of these shots on his website, and the story behind them, which was basically that Moz was recording 'Quarry' at Hook End near Reading and 'his people' (wouldn't you just love to have 'people'?) called up this guy out of the blue (Yellow Pages?) and arranged for Morrissey to come in to his studio in Oxford. This was in the autumn of 2003. He was never told what they were to be used for or when they would be used. But this guy put up a couple of dozen shots after 'Quarry' had been out awhile, and he seemed genuinely stoked about shooting Moz, couldn't believe how legend he was, etcetera. At the time he got alot of traffic and comments about how great the shots were and eventually he got a bit carried away with himself and announced plans to cobble together a kind of book or box or something of all the shots from the session. To purchase. For money.
And then Morrissey's 'people' speed-dialled cowboymod and....you can guess the rest!
Photographer guy then posts a thing on his site about how, like, uncool and not mod this is and Moz isn't so legend anymore. I think he even had to take the photos down from his site. But I guess Morrissey's people don't mind Youtube. :confused:
This guy smelled fishy to me then and he smells fishy now. Never trust a man in a cowboy hat. Especially if he's a hairdresser. In Oxford. :crazy: "

main.php

So now here we are in 2010 and 'JB Salter' :)rolleyes:) is pinning up contact sheets in a gallery in SW1 and calling them "ART".
Once a chancer, always a chancer...

Thank you Joe & goinghome. These are just fab!

I wonder which one he chose for his passport. ;)

Last edited:
Oh, gawd... not Cowboymod. Those are the worst pictures of Moz ever taken. "Okay, just sit here and look awkward for the camera!" That guy was an asshole to me when he asked me to take those pics off Motor Cycle Au Pair Boy too.

"A few years later, at one of his gigs, James handed a bag full of passport sized Morrissey images to a young homeless girl who was sitting outside the theatre. One punter purchased loads of the photographs and got Morrissey to sign one of them. Morrissey came out to the front of the theatre, found the girl, signed one of the pictures for her and thanked her for showing so much initiative."

Class.

Could anyone tell me if this is an exhibition that is going on? I must go down there but will I see these photos? I'm on the Cadogan site and all I can see is art rather than photos. Help!

Has anyone been down there yet?

hey,
to all of you that like the pictures, to all that don't,
& to anyone interested.
it was not a difficult shoot, no extra lighting or anything.
just him, me & 4 cameras fully loaded.
he was a really really great person to meet.
ok, so i've joined up, & will happily answer any questions you may have on my photographs of morrissey.
i have never tried to exploit these images, just wanted his audience to see them.
as i understand it, he very rarely smiles in a picture?
i don't know? anyway,
the story is funny, & not quite as described by joe frady.
the pictures are available to view at 82 cadogan lane sw1.
there is a special night on the 7th october 2010
where i shall be doing a Q&A.
you can go to cowboymod.com, but i see that on here, are a large collection of the pictures.
all pictures are copyrighted to me.
there are not any injunctions against them,
morrissey himself has even signed a few of them.
as for comments by mr frady, well,
i was there, he wasn't.
billybu, that's a great story, totally true, she made £125 that night.
all the best
cowboymod

Wow. :eek: Thanks for joining!

I was going to ask why you flipped the camera in the opposite direction for that one photo on the test sheet, but sometimes those things just happen. So no question really. :p Beautiful shoot.

Actually now I see based on the film code that you turned the camera over and continued shooting the rest of the roll, just the test sheet lined up that way which in my opinion is quite nice as a set of photos.

Last edited:
Cowboymod,

How would people who are unable to get to the Cadogan Gallery buy? From your site? It says prices vary based upon size; which sizes are available? Are you signing the prints? Sorry if I missed any info on your site, but I'm multi-tasking. :o

hey,
glad you love the pictures,
i was very lucky to do the shoot with him
i don't know how or why i flipped the camera, just one of those things?
i love the one of him leaving,
if you look at his shadow, you can see it's his profile.
love it.
contact me directly for any info on getting hold of a print or questions.
i won't be on here very often.
[email protected]
all the best

Was he telling a story? Were you just asking about his day? :o Don't go...

(I guess I did have a question, I get shy in the beginning and try to make it all technical.)

we were just chatting, nothing particular,
about me not being a "fan" places to eat in LA, weller, police mugshots,
stuff like that.

Cheers for the pm mr.cowboymod.
So just correct my memory, I'm getting old. I seem to remember an old site of yours, now disappeared, where you stated you were going to collect all these passport photos together in a book/box and sell them. Was that not the case? And wasn't the only reason you didn't do that because someone legal told you you couldn't? How is that not exploiting the photos, which are basically just simple passport photos?
I realise it's just my opinion, but I'm afraid I'm with Comtesse on this one. Taking snaps of an artist does not make those snaps Art.
But best of luck anyway.

you are not wrong,
but not accurate.
either way,
it's good to talk, & for people to have opinions.
i hope you have enjoyed the photos.
be well

Tags
photos
Back
Top Bottom