I Am Two People

Young And Alive

The more I listen to this the more I think it should have been on YATQ. It's far better than America Is Not The World or All The Lazy Dykes which both inexplicably made their way onto the album.

Excellent, simple and true lyrics.

"It's just because I love you
I cannot bear to be around you
And if only one or the other of us
Would drop down dead"

The outro is beautiful too.

I'd love this song and Lost to be the closing tracks on an album. That would be bliss.

i think most of the quarry b sides are really really good and much better than all the lazy dykes

The more I listen to this the more I think it should have been on YATQ. It's far better than America Is Not The World or All The Lazy Dykes which both inexplicably made their way onto the album.

Excellent, simple and true lyrics.

"It's just because I love you
I cannot bear to be around you
And if only one or the other of us
Would drop down dead"

The outro is beautiful too.

I'd love this song and Lost to be the closing tracks on an album. That would be bliss.

I don't think it could have been on Quarry - it was recorded afterwards at a separate session.

Peter

i like all the lazy dykes :eek:

I do too, however I'd admit that the production is pretty dire, to the extent were it almost makes you ignore his superb singing.

This song caught onto me quite late. I think his voice is really good on this one too.
I think, that perhaps the music is not unique enough to be included on the album. It sounds to me like a really good b-side.

Which of course, it is.

Even my Alain boosterism cannot let this one pass. The best thing about this song was the second-hand use of the opening chords in I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, a far superior song. Another Finn production monstrosity. The bells at the end consign this to the "adult contemporary" hemisphere.

Skinny is right--it was recorded in July 2004 at a B-side session for Friday Mourning, No One Can Hold a Candle to You, and Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice so much too late for inclusion on YATQ. It was apparently Jesse's first job on the clock for Morrissey, just prior to the House of Blues gig in Chicago.

As an aside, feel free to throw things b/c I don't like Friday Mourning either. ;)

Cheers,

Jamie

i like all the lazy dykes :eek:

Agreed. It is musically and lyrically interesting. Morrissey's attack on convention and the institution of marriage is brilliant, "...just somebody's wife."

Once again, anytime Morrissey ventures into pop and politics his "fans" run for the hills!

it is beautiful... but many bsides should have been on albums... such a little thing/ lost/ edges/ friday mourning...
who cares as long as he plays them live occasionally? :)

Good spot on the Hero chords (you're right -- that is a superior song). I like the piano line. The bells at the end consign this to the "adult contemporary" hemisphere. Hehe...never noticed it, but I won't argue that one.

Friday Mourning is a good attempt at a cigarette-lighter-aloft-ballad, but doesn't quite make it for some reason I can't quantify. I like the slow motion yodelling at the end. The track seems more like something that would've been on Ringleader.

I'll probably get slated for this, but I've always thought Dykes could've been a Vauxhall track (or b-side). I'm not saying it's as brilliant as the songs from that period, it's not, but somehow thematically and musically it fits the world of that era.

Even my Alain boosterism cannot let this one pass. The best thing about this song was the second-hand use of the opening chords in I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, a far superior song. Another Finn production monstrosity. The bells at the end consign this to the "adult contemporary" hemisphere.

Skinny is right--it was recorded in July 2004 at a B-side session for Friday Mourning, No One Can Hold a Candle to You, and Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice so much too late for inclusion on YATQ. It was apparently Jesse's first job on the clock for Morrissey, just prior to the House of Blues gig in Chicago.

As an aside, feel free to throw things b/c I don't like Friday Mourning either. ;)

Cheers,

Jamie

Friday Mourning is a good attempt at a cigarette-lighter-aloft-ballad, but doesn't quite make it for some reason I can't quantify. I like the slow motion yodelling at the end. The track seems more like something that would've been on Ringleader.

I'll probably get slated for this, but I've always thought Dykes could've been a Vauxhall track (or b-side). I'm not saying it's as brilliant as the songs from that period, it's not, but somehow thematically and musically it fits the world of that era.

In my opinion, you quantify it right there, Leer: it's Morrissey attempting a cigarette-lighter-aloft-ballad. That's just NOT Morrissey. The musical backing feels jacked up emotionally. Like I Am Two People, there is a sense of veering dangerously close to adult contemporary. I think the "you are a loser" line feels unwieldy, too.

Dykes is an underrated song, lyrically and musically. Again, he rises above when he finds identification with a marginalized soul. The "at last your life begins" coda is stirring. And I think it was a coup to have such a serious song raise a chuckle by realizing the title is a perversion of All The Young Dudes.

Now, one wonders if this reputed new title Teresa, Teresa has any relation to the repressed woman in Dykes. Hm.

Cheers,

Jamie

Has anybody mentioned the All The Young Dudes "perversion" before? I love that song but never made the connection -- I think I need to start doing sudoku or something (it's a lot more popular abroad than in Japan).

"... the fact that both [Princess Diana and Mother Theresa] died during the same week
is a sign from some divine power that obviously wants to tell us something."
- Morrissey
Interviewed by Andres Lokko for the January 1998 issue of the Swedish magazine, POP

Edit: Never mind -- the spelling of Teresa is different. Arrrgh.

In my opinion, you quantify it right there, Leer: it's Morrissey attempting a cigarette-lighter-aloft-ballad. That's just NOT Morrissey. The musical backing feels jacked up emotionally. Like I Am Two People, there is a sense of veering dangerously close to adult contemporary. I think the "you are a loser" line feels unwieldy, too.

Dykes is an underrated song, lyrically and musically. Again, he rises above when he finds identification with a marginalized soul. The "at last your life begins" coda is stirring. And I think it was a coup to have such a serious song raise a chuckle by realizing the title is a perversion of All The Young Dudes.

Now, one wonders if this reputed new title Teresa, Teresa has any relation to the repressed woman in Dykes. Hm.

Cheers,

Jamie

Last edited:
it is beautiful... but many bsides should have been on albums... such a little thing

I like that song.

But does it really deserve to be on an album after it completely rips off Sparks', Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth? Not just the intro but even the bridge is virtually the same!

Cheers,

Jamie

I asume yer right, but friday mourning is a b-side of 'let me kiss you'..
his 4rth single from YATQ [or was Jezus first?]

it's not a great song, a typical b-side average mediocre song

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom