Exiled from England into America

A

Anonymous

Is Morrissey essentially exiled from the UK?

I get the idea that Morrissey refused to pay Joyce his quarter-share of the profits made by the band. Do you think its likely hes going to come and live in the UK again and pay the royalities wanted by the high court?

What information does anyone have about the court hearing and his UK passport, just curious as it probally affected him and his music quite a lot.

Is Morrissey essentially exiled from the UK?

I get the idea that Morrissey refused to pay Joyce his quarter-share of the profits made by the band. Do you think its likely hes going to come and live in the UK again and pay the royalities wanted by the high court?

What information does anyone have about the court hearing and his UK passport, just curious as it probally affected him and his music quite a lot.

He has paid as far as I'm aware and he still has a house in England that he lives in when he's here.

No, he isn't in Exile.
That was over 20 years ago. That's done and dusted now.
Even during his "Los Angeles years", late 90s/ early 2000 he was mostly in the UK, or at least in the UK a hell of a lot
It suited him to have that image at the time, as it was a good selling point. This very British guy, who always went on about England, suddenly living in LA
Then we have the fact he went there to avoid paying Joyce and then you have the tax issue.
Also, it makes the US fans feel like you are closer to them "M he is one of us" kind of blag. So there were a fecking a number of reasons he went there.
Don't get me wrong, he likes Los Angeles and maybe now his mum has gone he may move over, who knows? I think he got that court case out of his system, as soon as he paid Joyce and he finished writing about it . Sure if you mention it to him, you will regret it, and have to stand there nodding as talks about it for 3 hours. Mostly, I think he worked through it though but that what the feck do I know.

He used to have places to live in Italy and Switzerland, too, didn't he? ("places to live", i. e. flats or hotel rooms, not necessarily entire houses belonging to him)

He used to have places to live in Italy and Switzerland, too, didn't he? ("places to live", i. e. flats or hotel rooms, not necessarily entire houses belonging to him)
I've seen fans say this before but never really seen proof. I remember when I was looking into a story Dermot O'Leary told on his radio show about how on his honeymoon he ran into Morrissey, I found that it was in September 2012 at a hotel in Rome. Morrissey wasn't on tour then, but I wasn't sure if he was on just holiday or living there.

Interesting, thanks! I never ran into him when I lived near there!

what the feck do I know.
You know quite alot, thanks! I thought he was only allowed to visit... When he was interviewed on jonathan ross in 2004, it seemed like he was only let into the country to feature on a talk show on probation and then had to whisk himself out as fast as he could.

You know the whole thing about Morrissey and the court case makes me laugh, because he represented himself in court (he did didn't he?), refused , and I can just imagine the judge completely loosing his patience and will to live whilst Morrissey gave him the lip ' well your honor'. I think the judge did loose it in the end and called Moz 'devious, truculent and unreliable', in which Morrissey called him 'the pride of the pipsqueakery'.

Its like reading something out of Dickens lost novel, would make a good film scene in his bio pic.

Interesting, thanks! I never ran into him when I lived near there!
Thinking about it though, it seems a bit unlikely as his 'first' home. For one thing, I remember there were annual quotas on how many properties could be sold to foreigners each year so it was quite difficult to buy a home, and for another thing resident stars such as Tina Turner had to pay taxes on their worldwide income to Switzerland. I usually found that the ex-pats I met there were very happy to have left thoughts of British political problems behind them. Given that this was just a couple of years before Morrissey's UKIP statement at the BBC and his For Britain association, I can't see why he would have cared about British politics. (And I'm not sure Damon could have lived with him unless he was a dependant relative or independently wealthy!)

I've seen fans say this before but never really seen proof. I remember when I was looking into a story Dermot O'Leary told on his radio show about how on his honeymoon he ran into Morrissey, I found that it was in September 2012 at a hotel in Rome. Morrissey wasn't on tour then, but I wasn't sure if he was on just holiday or living there.
Morrissey wrote solething about his years in Rome in Autobiography. My recollection is that he basically lived in a hotel for most o 2005, recorded ROTT while living in Rome. He then considered buying a house in Rome with his friend Gelato but I think these plans fell through. Strange as it may be, it is not unusual for Morrissey to live in a hotel for months in a row.

Back
Top Bottom