Do You Believe In God?

Do You Believe In God?

• Yes

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
Fine how are you? I hope you don't get struck by lighting. I like you. :p

Good.... I like you too.... Why would i get struck by lightning?

Thank you. That's interesting. I am not sure what they mean by "personal God". Although I believe in God I am highly suspicious of those that claim they have a personal relationship with God.
You came up with some statistics you believe in though and I respect that.

I googled and got other results but that is to be expected, too. I don't know if LiveScience is a respected site or not. It's just one of the first things that comes up when I googled "scientists belief in god".

In separate work at the University of Chicago, released in June, 76 percent of doctors said they believed in God and 59 percent believe in some sort of afterlife.

"Now we must examine the nature of these differences," Ecklund said today. "Many scientists see themselves as having a spirituality not attached to a particular religious tradition. Some scientists who don't believe in God see themselves as very spiritual people. They have a way outside of themselves that they use to understand the meaning of life."

That statement is confusing to me. I don't see how you could be spiritual or believe in a meaning of life without believing in God. I guess my definition is vague and pliable enough to work for me, but would be very difficult to pin down and get a group of people to agree with.

Thank you. That's interesting. I am not sure what they mean by "personal God". Although I believe in God I am highly suspicious of those that claim they have a personal relationship with God.
You came up with some statistics you believe in though and I respect that.

I googled and got other results but that is to be expected, too. I don't know if LiveScience is a respected site or not. It's just one of the first things that comes up when I googled "scientists belief in god".

In separate work at the University of Chicago, released in June, 76 percent of doctors said they believed in God and 59 percent believe in some sort of afterlife.

"Now we must examine the nature of these differences," Ecklund said today. "Many scientists see themselves as having a spirituality not attached to a particular religious tradition. Some scientists who don't believe in God see themselves as very spiritual people. They have a way outside of themselves that they use to understand the meaning of life."

That statement is confusing to me. I don't see how you could be spiritual or believe in a meaning of life without believing in God. I guess my definition is vague and pliable enough to work for me, but would be very difficult to pin down and get a group of people to agree with.

Well it seems somewhat strange at first glance for the simple fact that they include 'political scientists' who aren't scientists in the sense that people understand the term. The people to look for are those who actually work in the field, so biologists, physicists etc. who appear to have quite low belief levels.

I could be wrong but Buddhists are 'spiritual' but don't have a god figure

I can't believe that there is one being that created the universe, i can't believe that that being could be so cruel.....For all i know that guy or guys that wrote the bible could have been one hell of a storyteller.....i watched a film regarding the whol 'God', church and religion thing, which had probably the best line in it....if you believe... "The Kingdom of God in inside you and all around you....Not in mansions made from wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and I am there. Lift a stone and you will find me...."

if there was no bad in the world, there couldn't possibly be any good either. there's gotta be a balance. w/out one you can't have the other. it's not God being "cruel" It's just the natural order of things.

if there was no bad in the world, there couldn't possibly be any good either. there's gotta be a balance. w/out one you can't have the other. it's not God being "cruel" It's just the natural order of things.

That is such a good point, but there are so many degrees of 'bad' but i am not talking human behaviour. That is no-ones fault but their own.

If there is a 'God' why does he kill? What about the tsunami or the earthquakes, the flash floods? That's cruel.

That is such a good point, but there are so many degrees of 'bad' but i am not talking human behaviour. That is no-ones fault but their own.

If there is a 'God' why does he kill? What about the tsunami or the earthquakes, the flash floods? That's cruel.

God doesnt kill. but he has to let things happen. imagine a world where there were no floods, and earthquakes or wars or tragedies of any kind. what would we humans learn about ourselves? what kind of good could we EVER do in the world? like i said, you have to take the good with the bad. I don't think God looks down( like the late "great" Jerry Falwell said) and goes "I hate gays, so I'm gonna make these crazy terrorists fly planes in the World Trade Center. that'll teach 'em!" thats just insane. I dont believe that shit.

But think of all the GOOD that happens too. people tend to focus on the negative. think about all the relief efforts that went on after Katrina, or the Tsumami a couple years ago. I'm sure alot of good came out of that.

Just like in our own individual lives. Terrible things happen to all of us, but eventually it only makes us stronger and a better person. I believe that anyway.

God doesnt kill. but he has to let things happen. imagine a world where there were no floods, and earthquakes or wars or tragedies of any kind. what would we humans learn about ourselves? what kind of good could we EVER do in the world? like i said, you have to take the good with the bad. I don't think God looks down( like the late "great" Jerry Falwell said) and goes "I hate gays, so I'm gonna make these crazy terrorists fly planes in the World Trade Center. that'll teach 'em!" thats just insane. I dont believe that shit.

But think of all the GOOD that happens too. people tend to focus on the negative. think about all the relief efforts that went on after Katrina, or the Tsumami a couple years ago. I'm sure alot of good came out of that.

Just like in our own individual lives. Terrible things happen to all of us, but eventually it only makes us stronger and a better person. I believe that anyway.

I beg to differ on that one. We, human beings, don't learn anything from War, we keep on doing it. Why? i dunno. But there are other forces at hand regarding hurricanes and tsunami's. I do have one question, why do people feel the need to name hurricanes? surely it's not to humanise them. Think of all the destruction and then think of all the people with that name, i'd hate it. Anyway, people tend to think of all the negative things that happen because normally they outnumber the good things. Do you think that God is responsible for these forces of nature?

Some people do become stronger after terrible experiences in their own lives but some go on to do more harm. I respect your beliefs.

I beg to differ on that one. We, human beings, don't learn anything from War, we keep on doing it. Why? i dunno. But there are other forces at hand regarding hurricanes and tsunami's. I do have one question, why do people feel the need to name hurricanes? surely it's not to humanise them. Think of all the destruction and then think of all the people with that name, i'd hate it. Anyway, people tend to think of all the negative things that happen because normally they outnumber the good things. Do you think that God is responsible for these forces of nature?

Some people do become stronger after terrible experiences in their own lives but some go on to do more harm. I respect your beliefs.

I just think a world where everything was perfect would be a pointless world to live in. to me, tragedy must happen and it makes sense that it must.

i do however, respect your beliefs as well. :)

I just think a world where everything was perfect would be a pointless world to live in. to me, tragedy must happen and it makes sense that it must.

i do however, respect your beliefs as well. :)

i do agree but it would be lovely to see what would happen in a happy, war free world.....i'd love to see it, a parallel universe.

Cheers hun....nice to agree on summat:D

i do agree but it would be lovely to see what would happen in a happy, war free world.....i'd love to see it, a parallel universe.

Cheers hun....nice to agree on summat:D

In a parallel universe your name would be Mum Slumm....

Yes, I do. I'm Wiccan, which is a type of Pagan, and I believe not only in a God, but a Goddess too.

Yes, I do. I'm Wiccan, which is a type of Pagan, and I believe not only in a God, but a Goddess too.

If God has a gender..then that would imply it would have sex too..

That's just silly, why not bring back Zeus, Hera, and Hercules too...

Aphrodite was pretty hot though

setpolaroid.jpg

or EVIL SNS...except he wouldn't have a goatee, because I do

i suppose i would be a tiny person with very short hair then and a complete git....if i was opposite to myself.....i am rambling, now...:o

Back
Top Bottom