Morrissey Central "DAVID SOUL, RIP." (January 6, 2024)

DAVID SOUL, RIP.

c57e9741f27304d5a5852f7eb44c66aa2e249b92.jpg

As per Book Of Condolence thread yesterday.
FWD.

Salem's Lot absolute classic.
That absolutely terrified me when I was a kid.
After watching that show, I was a paperboy
At 12 -13 years old.
One of my deliveries, was to the local Catholic Church , that was my school and church.
I had to walk up the very long back end of the grounds, to deliver the priest his morning newspaper.
I still , to this day haven’t shit myself as much in my entire life , it was so dark
At 06.30 am
Still to this day, I can’t ever watch
Salems lot…..
it still haunts me to this living day.

Another one of those stars from your childhood that seemed to keep making surprise reappearances over the years. S&H success followed with his subsequent music hits, then arriving to continue acting here in the UK.
The thing that surprised me most was his early success as the Covered Man mystery masked singer, and the career dive when he revealed who he was. I think these career downturns and the domestic issues took their toll. But it was great to see him appear on telly plugging the latest show. He even good-humouredly joined Frank Sidebottom for some bizarre madness.

RIP
he was in little britain as well,another icon from childhood gone,rememeber the opening titles from the first ever episode of starsky and hutch,it was like nothing we had seen in the uk before.

he was in little britain as well,another icon from childhood gone,rememeber the opening titles from the first ever episode of starsky and hutch,it was like nothing we had seen in the uk before.
Was watching little britain on thats tv the other night, my word they wouldnt be allowed to make that in todays snowflake, safe space world.

I read the Salem's Lot book as a kid but don't recall the movie with David Soul - must check it out.
If you like the book there is a good making of video on Youtube about the TV version with David Soul. It was a classic of its time. Other attempts were dreadful. There was also a recent film version, whose release date was shelved during the pandemic. It has never been released. Test audience reactions must have been bad.

If you like the book there is a good making of video on Youtube about the TV version with David Soul. It was a classic of its time. Other attempts were dreadful. There was also a recent film version, whose release date was shelved during the pandemic. It has never been released. Test audience reactions must have been bad.

There is a brilliant BBC radio play which I listened to on You Tube some time back. Well worth investigating.

Salen's Lot was not scary :rolleyes:
I can't imagine Morrissey being into that or Starsky and Hutch tho, or that really bad song. What's his interest in David Soul?

I can't imagine Morrissey being into that or Starsky and Hutch tho, or that really bad song. What's his interest in David Soul?
Starksy and Hutch had a huge impact on popular culture. It was one of the first shows to show black characters in a positive way. There was even talk of Huggy Bear getting his own spin off show. For kids growing up in the grey streets of the UK, Starsky and Hutch was iconic.
Plus David Soul campaigned for animal welfare. Always kudos giving in the world of Moz.

we only had 3 channels in those days and britain was was in a right state,any sort of escapism was welcomed by everyone in those days,even M.

Was watching little britain on thats tv the other night, my word they wouldnt be allowed to make that in todays snowflake, safe space world.
they are actually making a new batch dan,think its for Thats TV,i always thought come fly with me was much funnier than little britain.

they are actually making a new batch dan,think its for Thats TV,i always thought come fly with me was much funnier than little britain.
But if they take out all the possibly offensive bits which were the funniest Gordy, whats left??
Men dressed as laydees - transphobic.
Fat fighters - fattist.
Lou and Andy - disabled- ist.
Old woman pissing herself - incontinence-ist.
Huge fat woman who ends up naked showing her massive pubic bush - huge pubic bush-ist.
Yeah but no but yeah - chav-ist.
Indian woman in fat fighters - racist.
The only one left after that is the geezer with the flute and, erm.....

But if they take out all the possibly offensive bits which were the funniest Gordy, whats left??
Fat fighters - fattist.
Huge fat woman who ends up naked showing her massive pubic bush - huge pubic bush-ist.
Re runs required of "In sickness and in Health"

Fat fighters - fattist.
Comedy moves on. Bernard Manning was replaced by the Alternative crew, who were replaced by lad culture, who were replaced by Little Britain, who were replaced by…. ummmm…. Mrs Brown’s Boys. Mrs Brown must be shitting herself, she’ll be next.
IMG_9547.jpeg

Thanks, I'll check it out! I was able to rent and watch the movie last night ($2.99 well spent). Of course, it's a bit dated but overall I enjoyed it. All the characters were well-cast. Especially loved David Soul and James Mason (and Fred Willard is perfection). Thanks all for the recommendation :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom