David Cameron on Morrissey

the_kaz

It's common knowledge that Cameron is a Morrissey fan, but I was just wondering what he's actually had to say about him before? These are the only references I've heard:

1) On 'The One Show'
2) When he gave Obama a collection of CDs which apparently included 'The Queen is Dead'
3) Not really a Morrissey reference as such, but when Cameron wanted to do a photo shoot outside the Salford Lad's Club

Is there anything else?

Oh, and could a kind soul also tell me how Morrissey reacted to the news that David Cameron was a big fan of his? I heard that the presenters of 'The One Show' actually asked him outright.

Thanks a lot!

Cameron once got on the guestlist at a moz concert, think it was the arena tour in december 2006, which moz was apperently appaled by, if memory serves me right

I thought on the One Show Moz didn't mention it?

I wonder what Obama thinks of TQID.

Re: David Cameron: Opinion of Morrissey

Oh I wish you hadn't used that title for the thread. It's such a horrible image. :eek:

Cameron also chose TCM as one of his Desert Island discs:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/28/1827248

"The Tory leader David Cameron chose "This Charming Man" as one of his eight "Desert Island Discs" this morning on BBC Radio 4. For some reason, Cameron introduced his choice by explaining he has nothing in common with Morrissey - 'for example, Morrissey is veggie and I (Cameron) love my meat' - before saying that Morrissey performance of this track on TOTP was iconic."

Cameron once got on the guestlist at a moz concert, think it was the arena tour in december 2006, which moz was apperently appaled by, if memory serves me right
Was Morrissey thinking...........
And people like you
Make me feel so old inside
Please die

And kind people
Do not shelter this dream
Make it real
Make the dream real
Make the dream real
Make it real
Make the dream real
Make it real

It’s a good question. The One Show team asked M about various celebrity endorsements (including Cameron) and he just replied, generally, about them all (something like “astonishing”).
AFAIK he has yet to be asked specifically about Cameron which seems an incredible journalistic oversight considering M’s political history and the sheer incongruity of having the leader of the Conservative party (quite possibly the next PM) declaring himself a fan.
Pretty much all of Cameron’s comments have been about the Smiths (favourite albums/songs etc), although he did go to see Moz on the 2006 tour. It was reported in the press that he rode his bike to the station and jumped on the train without getting a ticket!

Was Morrissey thinking...........
And people like you
Make me feel so old inside
Please die
And kind people
Do not shelter this dream
Make it real
Make the dream real
Make the dream real
Make it real
Make the dream real
Make it real

Of course not. His politics these days are nothing like they used to be.
Anti-immigration, anti-high taxes, anti-environmental taxes, anti-speed cameras. He'd probably consider Cameron something of a political soulmate.

Thanks for the replies! I find the thought of David Cameron attending a Morrissey concert incredibly humerous for some reason. But I'm really disappointed that Morrissey has never actually been specifically questioned about it. Speaking of which, I found the quote from 'The One Show':

“It’s difficult to make comment because you might hurt people’s feelings.”
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/cultur...on_no_need_to_apologise_for_loving_Morrissey/

Classic Morrissey! :p

Re: David Cameron: Opinion of Morrissey

"The Tory leader David Cameron chose "This Charming Man" as one of his eight "Desert Island Discs" this morning on BBC Radio 4. ."

Cameron wouldn't know his way through an entire Smiths song even if Michael Howard shoved his pathetic penis in his rotting prostate.
Cameron once heard 'TCM' on VH1 Classics and likes the song. Just like I don't mind Madonna's Vogue.

The guy's a joke that isn't actually funny. He is the love child of a hamster with the brain of Richard Littlejohn.

Don't understand the aggro to be quite honest. By all accounts, Cameron's been a serious Smiths fan since boyhood. Does he need a licence from people with the appropriate left-wing credentials to be allowed to?

In any case, I don't know about you people, but for my part experience has tended to teach me that people aren't neccessarily raving idiots just because their politics are remote from mine.

cheers

Don't understand the aggro to be quite honest. By all accounts, Cameron's been a serious Smiths fan since boyhood. Does he need a licence from people with the appropriate left-wing credentials to be allowed to?

In any case, I don't know about you people, but for my part experience has tended to teach me that people aren't neccessarily raving idiots just because their politics are remote from mine.

cheers

You must not live in the U.S. We have far too many raving idiots here and I'd like someone to take them off our hands tout de suite!

Love! :sweet:

Looks like David Cameron has to go pee. :D

cheers

Don't worry about it, there's still a proportion of Morrissey/Smiths fans who consider the man/the band to be THEIR PROPERTY & unless you're just like them, you're not allowed to like it.

I call those people 'nutjobs.'

Back
Top Bottom