At last - the end of the post-Vauxhall chug rock era. Congratulate yourself if ...

A

Anonymous

you really slagged off those initial new songs (People are the Same, Kids A Looker etc).
There were two schools of thought round here.
One that you should be honest about Morrissey's new material - if it was rubbish, say so.
Two, that Morrissey is a genius, everything he does is amazing, and we should praise it to the rafters.

I was in the first camp. I didn't want the next album to be mediocre - I wanted it to be brilliant. I therefore took every opportunity I could to criticise those horrible songs, especially the truly bloody appalling People Are The Same Everywhere.
But others were ludicrously critical of this stance - remember Smiler? Dear lord.

Thankfully, the message hit home. Most of the fans thought the new songs were rubbish. Boz found out, or Jesse found out, or the new record company found out or someone found out.
And they finally ditched the crap, chug-rock default setting.

So well done to everyone who criticised Morrissey's poor quality music of the last however many years. It seems we are to be rewarded with a massively superior album, musically at least.
Sometimes it's better to be honest than sycophantic. Let's hope one day Smiler realises that too.

I still would've liked to have heard a fully produced studio version of "Action Is My Middle Name". The other songs can rot where they lie.

I still would've liked to have heard a fully produced studio version of "Action Is My Middle Name". The other songs can rot where they lie.

I agree with the first part, for sure!

Back
Top Bottom