Boy Happy sold 6370, ROTT now at 140,614

Johan de Witt

From Music Week:

"Morrissey racks up his 45th Top 40 hit in all, his 29th solo and his fourth from current album Ringleader Of The Tormentors, as I Just Want To See The Boy Happy debuts at number 16 on sales of 6,370. It’s scheduled to be the last single from Ringleader Of The Tormentors, which is therefore unlikely to improve much on its current cume of 140,614 sales, a tally which increased by only 603 last week. It’s a step back from his 2004 triumph You Are The Quarry, which has so far sold 369,329 copies."

Thanks for posting this. Amazing that his solo Top 40 hits outnumber his Smiths singles by a factor of about 2 to 1.

Then again, the single sold 6,370 copies. Seems like a dreadfully low number. Single sales have changed so much over the years. I wonder what the sales numbers for "This Charming Man" or "Panic" were. I have no idea, but I'm just guessing that sales of all four ROTT singles probably add up to the sales of one Smiths Top 20 placing, or maybe two. So the 29 vs. 16 comparison isn't totally fair.

Not that Morrissey is to blame. Just curious about it.

From Music Week:

"Morrissey racks up his 45th Top 40 hit in all, his 29th solo and his fourth from current album Ringleader Of The Tormentors, as I Just Want To See The Boy Happy debuts at number 16 on sales of 6,370. It’s scheduled to be the last single from Ringleader Of The Tormentors, which is therefore unlikely to improve much on its current cume of 140,614 sales, a tally which increased by only 603 last week. It’s a step back from his 2004 triumph You Are The Quarry, which has so far sold 369,329 copies."

Interesting stuff Johan. Where do you get these from? A Music Week website? Any idea how the other albums did? I know Vauxhall went Gold (100,000) and Viva Hate did well but I think the others sold less than 50,000.

Quarry was nose-diving out of the charts, like all other Moz studio albums, within weeks of its release until First of the Gang went flying up the airplay charts and rescued the album from chart oblivion (i.e. the usual 3 or 4 week lifespan of a Morrissey album). Just goes to show, you can do arena tours, get voted a national icon, appear on TV shows etc but none of it makes the slightest difference unless people are hearing (and liking) your singles on the radio.

All Moz needs is two brilliant, zingy, upbeat, sing-along songs and he'll be able to sell shedloads of albums. Sadly, altho ROTT was a pretty good and fairly interesting album, it simply didn't have a single one of these songs.

Oh well, maybe next time!

Maurice

Quarry's sales were not rescued by First of the Gang. That single nudged the album back up into the charts for a couple of weeks. But most of Quarry's sales were in the first month. He sold nearly 100,000 in the first week! They were also helped by Sanctuary re-releasing it with b-sides.

The simple fact is there was a lot more hype around Morrissey in 2004. That didn't exist this year, if anything I've noticed a backlash against him. Particularly among people who see themselves as serious about music, you know the type, the ones that are always following the latest fashion. He's just not fashionable anymore.

It didn't help matters that Morrissey decided to go AWOL in the first week of ROTT's release. OK, he was having voice problems, but that wouldn't have stopped him doing the odd media interview.

The lesson is the first week of release always sets the pace. If you don't make your presence felt then people quickly lose interest and no amount of old-fashioned tours will make any difference. No one in the media cares if you are playing gigs in Halifax or Truro.

It somehow relieves me that we have him for ourselves, in a way. Imagine how horrible it would be if everybody had bought ROTT. But on the other side, I always want him to be the biggest, so it's hard to really be happy about it whatever happens...

The simple fact is there was a lot more hype around Morrissey in 2004. That didn't exist this year

Exactly. It was the YATQ hype and the fact that he was everywhere that made it so easy to be a new fan back then

But had I not known about ROTT, and been constantly on the lookout for news about release dates etc, it would have completely passed me by, as it obviously did most people. His record company have been shocking about promoting this album and its singles.

Last edited:
Quarry's sales were not rescued by First of the Gang. That single nudged the album back up into the charts for a couple of weeks. But most of Quarry's sales were in the first month. He sold nearly 100,000 in the first week! They were also helped by Sanctuary re-releasing it with b-sides.

The simple fact is there was a lot more hype around Morrissey in 2004. That didn't exist this year, if anything I've noticed a backlash against him. Particularly among people who see themselves as serious about music, you know the type, the ones that are always following the latest fashion. He's just not fashionable anymore.

It didn't help matters that Morrissey decided to go AWOL in the first week of ROTT's release. OK, he was having voice problems, but that wouldn't have stopped him doing the odd media interview.

The lesson is the first week of release always sets the pace. If you don't make your presence felt then people quickly lose interest and no amount of old-fashioned tours will make any difference. No one in the media cares if you are playing gigs in Halifax or Truro.

Sorry, but you are wrong about this! I am a little bit obsessed with chart positions, record sales and radio airplay (although I'm not proud of the fact!).

Quarry sold around 80,000 in the first week; ROTT sold a similar amount (70,000). Quarry went tumbling down the charts week after week reaching the low 60s by about week 6. Then FOTG started picking up major air-play (for a Moz single) and, for the first time in Moz history, (other than possibly Viva Hate) the album started to climb.

It climbed slowly over about 4 or 5 weeks as airplay picked up and actually made it back to the top 20 of the album chart which is an amazing feat for a Moz album. As FOTG passed and the airplay tailed off, the album sank back down the chart and was out of the top 75 after about 15-20 weeks.

The subsequent release of Let Me Kiss You and Jesus did nothing to revive the album and bring it back into the chart (top 75). These singles hardly picked up any airplay compared with First of the Gang. Sanctuary releasing a platinum version also failed to bring it back into the chart.

You are right about the greater hype in 2004 but ROTT and Quarry were only 10,000 sales apart after one week; after 20 weeks they were 200,000 sales apart so the importance of week one is not that great.
Hype can guarantee high inital sales but won't get people buying albums months after their release (see how the Arctic Monkeys album hasn't been in the charts for months). Songs need to be played on the radio for albums to have longevity and draw in the casual listener.

Another example; Quarry came out just after the first Keane album.
Unlike Keane, Moz was all over the music press but Keane's songs got tons more radio airplay. Quarry sold under 400,000; Keane sold over 2 million.

Airplay is what you need. The people who decide, in their weekly meetings, what will get played on their radio stations are pretty much the most powerful people in the music industry...

It somehow relieves me that we have him for ourselves, in a way. Imagine how horrible it would be if everybody had bought ROTT. But on the other side, I always want him to be the biggest, so it's hard to really be happy about it whatever happens...

:confused:
It's not horrible ROTT got number 1 of the album chart in UK.

:confused:
It's not horrible ROTT got number 1 of the album chart in UK.

Yeah I was pleased as punch!

#3 for You Have Killed Me wasn't bad, either :)

Thanks for posting this. Amazing that his solo Top 40 hits outnumber his Smiths singles by a factor of about 2 to 1.

Then again, the single sold 6,370 copies. Seems like a dreadfully low number. Single sales have changed so much over the years. I wonder what the sales numbers for "This Charming Man" or "Panic" were. I have no idea, but I'm just guessing that sales of all four ROTT singles probably add up to the sales of one Smiths Top 20 placing, or maybe two. So the 29 vs. 16 comparison isn't totally fair.

Not that Morrissey is to blame. Just curious about it.

(I've been trying to post this for over an hour, but got ejected from the site and only just managed to get back on.... anyway, it seems that the debate has moved on a bit, but no one has questioned the figures mentioned I don't think...)

I wonder if that figure, 6,370, includes the vinyl versions and downloads, or if it just relates to CDs.
It's always been virtually impossible to find out exactly how many copies of any album or single have sold because many smaller retailers don't fill out chart return figures, either because they aren't asked or they can't be bothered, so their sales aren't counted by chart compilers, who focus mainly on the larger record/CD outlets, such as HMV, Virgin and such like, and god knows if the internet sales are recorded accurately. I don't know about anyone else, but I went in about ten shops in Manchester looking for the latest single in all formats, and only around half of them had the CD version, in very small quantities, and no-one had the vinyl.
Record companies tend to base 'sales' figures on how many "units" have been shipped out to retailers, but they will play politics when asked about actual sales and never give a true figure.
So I would be sceptical about any actual figure that is quoted, although anything between 6 and 10 thousand sounds about right, given how rare intelligence, combined with good taste, is nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom