The Manic Street Preachers Appreciation Thread

Stitchell

blah blah blah blah...
Have noticed on here lately a bit of love for the Manics (well, Richey era anyway) and also some members with Manic-inspired usernames. This has prompted me to to go back and enjoy the band that soundtracked my awkward teen phase. I truly love this band, even though they were on to 'This Is My Truth...' before I got into them. 'Generation Terrorists', 'The Holy Bible' and Simon Price's book 'Everyting' set me on the way to discovering The Clash, The Smiths, Public Enemy and practically everything else.

Feel free to share thought, memories, fave tracks or even post you revulsion if you hate the band!

I have had a 'Generation Terrorists' revivle recently, it is a fine album. I don't own 'The Holy Bible', but I am considering investing in it. I'm afraid they lost me after that, but I do love those two albums. And Richey...what can I say

i remember getting into them when gold against the soul came out and the manics appearing on 'top of the tops' with nicky in a dress.

like the smiths when i first heard them, i didn't like them (funny when both bands released their 1st lps) then they turned into my favourite bands.

the holy bible is still one of my favourite lps.

'faster' on 'top of the pops' with james in a Balaclava, many complaints to the BBC, because of the troubles with the IRA at the time.

saw them at glastonbury an amazing aggressive perfromance.

saw one of their last shows with richey at the astoria in london.

richey disappearance took awhile to sink in... until the "everything must go" then thinking he has gone :(

have never seen them as a three piece. didn't buy the last LP or james's solo lp.

but still one my favourites.

I'll go and get 'The Holy Bible', it's cheap enough to buy, and I'll let you all know what I think.

The Manics also soundtracked my "teen angst" days...Still love them to pieces, everything up until "Know Your Enemy", which was unbelievably shit :(

The Holy Bible is - along with the Smiths debut - my favourite album ever. Not a weak moment on it, and "She Is Suffering" is a truly great slice of mordant rock.

Does anyone have any good quality copies of some of the rare b-sides (Patrick Bateman; Never Want Again; Us Against You; Love Torn Us Under) they could post? Pleeeeease.

I would love Patrick Bateman if possible!

'The Holy Bible' is indeed a modern classic. I've got a feeling its their worst selling album too. IMHO a near lyrically perfect album and their most diverse sound-wise. 'Faster' is a f***ing classic song, 'Yes' and '4st 7lb' sonme of the most powerful songs of modern times.

It can be picked up cheap in shops, go forth and buy

I really, really like them and The Holy Bible is magnificent... Now, though, they are just pathetic. I mean, they're musically better than ever, but they're fat, healthy, middle-aged rockstars and yet they still scream situationist slogans. They're the next Rolling Stones in terms of aging but failing to accept it.

Their politics worked far better when richey was articulating it and (somewhat in the spirit of Mirbeau) expressing it poetically through physical pain and mental illness. It's sounds so f***ing cliché, I know, but he made people like me embrace music that can only be described as, erm, crap heavy metal. Let's just say they meant a lot to me for about a year and then I did the most horrible thing one can do in this world - grow up.

i was looking at the programme for the holy bible tour today, i knew i still had it.

also this t shirt which has written on the back:
I am hypocrite whore-stud slut c***-cock artifical piece of 20th century motherf***ing shit.

i remember asking the man behind the counter "have you one with the lest swearing on it, as my mum won't like it" i did this with my tongue in my cheek.. he was amused too!

LOL!!! I can remember running out to but the most offensive tsirt I could find to annoy my mum. It said 'Live hard, die young, leave a goodlooking corpse'

Aghhh...I hate to be a whinger, but the file of "Love Torn Us Under" seems to be corrupt...Have converted it from .m4u to .mp3 but there's nothing there :(

i was looking at the programme for the holy bible tour today, i knew i still had it.

also this t shirt which has written on the back:
I am hypocrite whore-stud slut c***-cock artifical piece of 20th century motherf***ing shit.

i remember asking the man behind the counter "have you one with the lest swearing on it, as my mum won't like it" i did this with my tongue in my cheek.. he was amused too!

saw a t-shirt a few years back with "who's responsible? you f***ing are" on the front - really want that one :(

seen the manics live 6 times (and james solo twice) and they are incredable live. the best one was at cambridge corn exchange in 2005 - will never forget when james started archives of pain by himself on this beautiful white flying V guitar, palyed the first verve alone on stage and the lights went up to reveal sean back behind the drums and nicky standing on top of speaker stack ready to launch into the rest of the song. :D

saw a t-shirt a few years back with "who's responsible? you f***ing are" on the front - really want that one :(

seen the manics live 6 times (and james solo twice) and they are incredable live. the best one was at cambridge corn exchange in 2005 - will never forget when james started archives of pain by himself on this beautiful white flying V guitar, palyed the first verve alone on stage and the lights went up to reveal sean back behind the drums and nicky standing on top of speaker stack ready to launch into the rest of the song. :D

I always fancied that t shirt but i read somewhere it was a special crew only one, and rather difficult to get hold of.
Archives of pain was great on the last tour. My favorite manics moment was during the Cardiff 2005 Lifeblood gig when Nicky snatched the mic off James, abandoned all pretence at playing the bass and bellowed out Motown Junk, then started hurling himself off the speaker stacks.
Heres a reupload of Love Torn Us Under. If anyone wants any more let me know, will do my best to oblige.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0N5YU4M

Thanks for all of these...I'd forgotten just how awesome Patrick Bateman was! Could never understand for the life of me why they left it off Lipstick Traces in favour of shite like Valley Boy :(

If anyone has any good quality Manic bootlegs, please post! Soundboard ones would be best, but also any of the three forum gigs from Xmas 94 (last Richey gigs) would be great.

Anyhow, we can guess that most peoples favourite Manics album is either Generation or Holy Bible, but what are your top Manics tracks? I'll plump for She Is Suffering, Comfort Comes and Removables.

i remember that t shirt. i had this t shirt which disappeared!!!! it was the cover for "faster" single with the lyrics on the back. bought it at glastonbury.

manic rose, you make me want to see them again.

hey everybody is Life blood worth getting as i'm going through a manic phrase again because of this thread. went to the supermarket listening to the Holy BIble today.

Back
Top Bottom