What's the funniest comment you've got about Morrissey?

Kewpie

Subscriber
Around April 1985 when I was listening to Meat Is Murder, my father said :what's this? Are you listening to Buddhist chant in English?:rolleyes:

It's very common reaction of some Japanese who don't understand English/pop music(he also slagged off Elvis...).

Tell us your experiences of the funniest comment/reaction about Morrissey!:D

Kewpie said:
"A gay Kermit The Frog"! I love your brother's comment! LOL.
"Whose this f***ing old guy?" :D

At Rockim park 2006, from a friend of a girl I went to the festival with this year :D. She had only heard of Mozz a few times, the last time being in a magasine where she saw a picture of him which must have been during his Smiths days, and presumed it was a recent one.

So having seen that, and having myself probably bored her to tears raving about him, when the Mozz of 2006 came on after much delay, slightly more aged and tattered than she picture she saw in her mag, she came out with that beaut, perfectly timed.

That said I should have seen it coming when she said to me before "But why does he have that old man on the front of his new album?", I thought she was being ironic and laughed.

Must have been quite a shock for her if you think about it!

Last edited:
a couple years ago I called up an ex-coworker in NYC asking if he could recommend a broker for me to call to try to get a ticket for one of the sold out Morrissey shows at the Apollo (he always scores tickets to various events for clients.)

He said “Morrissey?? Why are you going to see him? Isn’t he some big gay icon?”

I ended up scoring a ticket from some dude on craigslist, incidentally.

SRA said:
"Whose this f***ing old guy?" :D
:p haha poor girl!

Apart from the "who the f*** was that" comments at Rock im Park the funniest/most shocking thing I've heard was during a lunchtime conversation with my mum.
Me: "I'm going to a concert when I'm in Dublin."
Mum: "Oh, nice. Who are you going to see?"
Me: "Morrissey."
Mum: "Isn't this the Canadian girl who sang 'Ironic'?"
Me: :eek: *spits out food in shock* "Umm, no."

My favourite Moz related comments are:

Me: Have you ever heard 'You Be Illin'?
Dan: Let me guess, a Mozza song?

Jose from SATH:
How many Smiths fans does it take to change a light bulb?
None! There's a Light That Never Goes Out

Mum: Why do you like Morrissey though? He's old!
Me: What are you talking about? You like How Soon Is Now!
Mum: Morrissey didn't do that, that was out when I was young.
Me: Yes, he did. Morrissey is the lead singer of that band and they released it when he was young, which by your own reckoning makes you old!

Last edited:
Kewpie said:
Around April 1985 when I was listening to Meat Is Murder, my father said :what's this? Are you listening to Buddhist chant in English?:rolleyes:

It's very common reaction of some Japanese who don't understand English/pop music(he also slagged off Elvis...).

Tell us your experiences of the funniest comment/reaction about Morrissey!:D

My mom hid my black Moz "Viva Hate" t-shirt. I thought I lost it so I kept asking her if she had seen it. After days of questioning her, she snapped "I dont know why you need that t-shirt, its so negative, I hate that shirt!"

It was then that I knew that whether Mom liked it or not, she was a Moz fan!

I recently sang "You have killed me" at karaoke (sorry folks) and half way through I noticed this guy dancing wildy to it. When I finished he gave the biggest clap in the pub, came up to me and said "always nice to meet a fellow disciple".

Not really that funny, but for some reason it made me laugh.

++++++ said:
When I first played a selection of Moz/Smiths songs for my brother (including Bigmouth, Suedehead, Jack the Ripper, and a few others I can't remember), he said that he hated it and that Morrissey sounded like a gay Kermit The Frog. But now he's just as addicted to Morrissey as I am. Quite amusing.

I got the same comment! A friend of mine said he sounded like Kermit the Frog.

On a related note, I used to sleep with a Kermit doll as a child. Coincidence?

I had a Kermit doll, too! And I loved him, he had arms with velcro tape on that you could put together to make him embrace anything. NOW we finally know where all this comes from!

I also admit to owning a kermit the frog with velcro arms as a child. Its all coming together so seemingly! :eek: I need my kermit doll!

Should I consider taking a Kermit doll to the concert in Rome on Sunday? (famous last words...)

ellekari said:
Should I consider taking a Kermit doll to the concert in Rome on Sunday? (famous last words...)

My friend actually gave me a doll of Burt because Morrissey looked like him.:)

Thanks everyone sharing your stories and hope some more to come.:D

Eww!! I hate the damn frog.........I aIways Ioved Gonzo and Fozzy, not the frog. SpeciaIIy Ioved Gonzo in Muppet Babies :o

I played "Sorrow Will Come In The End" to one of my friends who doesn't have a clue who Moz is. He heard the line "I praise the day that brings you pain" and said - "What a mad bastard!". He also said something about Moz sounding like he was in a very happy mood :rolleyes:

I can't remember where i heard it, but "i'm so depressed i'm not sure whether i was born or sung into existance by Morrissey"

I was wearing a tour shirt from the '91 tour which has a still from the "November Spawned A Monster" video (I think). The guy at the mini-mart asked if it was Vanilla Ice (who was very popular at the time).

I always remember a comment my father made gawd knows how many years ago: "Well no wonder he's miserable, he's got a twig up his bum." Flowers in the back pocket/twig up the bum; same difference, I suppose. :D

Back
Top Bottom