Main
Tue, Sep 21 1999
Dublin shows, Belfast on sale

From Graham Fletcher:

Tickets for the Dublin shows are now available on-line from the venue box office site.

From Marc Duquet:

On the TICKETMASTER IRELAND website the Nov. 25 concert in BELFAST is confirmed.

According to Aloud.com, all 3 London shows are sold out and several others are going fast.

Comments / Notes (3)
Morrissey mention at Big Country convention

From Graham:

At the Big Country convention in Egham, Surrey, England on Saturday 18th September, Big Country front man Stuart Adamson was asked to name artists who he most respected and would like to have worked with. His reply was Leonard Cohen and Morrissey. Stuart said he thought Cohen was a brilliant poet and that Morrissey had written some of the best lyrics he'd ever heard.

Comments / Notes (14)
Geeks love The Smiths (Internet Developer Magazine)

From Ken:

While browsing through the September '99 issue of Microsoft Internet Developer magazine - on page 39 under the "Sample Application" Section they mention The Smiths in the scenario they give for a Developer to write some code.

"After all, the Smiths CD that was in the car had to be replaced."

Not too much, but pretty cool to see The Smiths mentioned in a technical article.

Comments / Notes (7)
Oscar Wilde Collection - exhibition at UCLA (Sept. 22 - Jan. 2)

Beginning tomorrow and running through Jan. 2 at the UCLA Hammer Museum (10899 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90024-4201). Flier (Front, Back) from Rachel.

Exhibition info from the UCLA Hammer Museum website:

September 22, 1999 - January 2, 2000

The Oscar Wilde Collection at the Clark Library, UCLA, is one of the finest such public collections in the world. In addition to holding virtually every book by or about Wilde, the collection also includes manuscripts, proofs, letters, photographs and other art and illustrations by Wilde's contemporaries. This exhibition will include a selection of Wilde's books and other related material, including works by Charles Ricketts, Aubrey Beardsley and other illustrators. This exhibition is co-organized by the UCLA Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts and the UCLA William Andrews Clark Memorial Library.

Comments / Notes (18)
The Smiths / Morrissey party - Kontich, Belgium (Sept. 25)

From Peter Melis:

25 September, The Smiths/Morrissey party, Belgium

where: Lintfabriek, Mechelsesteenweg 199 Kontich (by Antwerp)
doors open: 21.00u. DJ: Peter

IN CONCERT: the concert of "These Charming Men" (UK) is cancelled, I'm still looking for another band, maybe: Luc De Vos (Gorki) or Denim, who wants to play some Smiths/Moz songs. I'm really sorry about this but it's not my fault, "These Charming Men" cancelled this gig one week before my party, thanks! (sorrow will come in the end)!

The party goes on, inclusive a tribute gig, for more information call: (0032)03/312.01.46 (Peter)

Comments / Notes (3)
Robbie Williams / Morrissey comparison?

I don't see it. From anon:

In the German 'lifestyle' magazine PETRA is a portrait of Robbie Williams. The author compares him on some parts with Morrissey. Here's what he says (my translation - hope it is ok):

Robbie is from Manchester, also from this city is Morrissey. Next to Robbie he is the world's second most known popstar in the 90s, but unlike Morrissey, Robbie doesn't have to think much to say something clever.

As he (Robbie) left Take That this was a tragic catastrophe as it was in 1987 when Moz left The Smiths.

In the morning Robbie firstly is happy about getting older (btw, like Morrissey does, too).

So far parts of the portrait - not important, but interesting anyway.

Comments / Notes (61)
Norwegian Smiths website

From Bjørn Ove Kjennvold:

The one and only Norwegian fan site for The Smiths- and Morrissey-lovers is up and running at "The Smiths Forever..."

For the time being, Norwegian language only. Discography, pics, biography and trade marked. Webmaster is Bjørn Ove Kjennvold.

Comments / Notes (2)

* return to Morrissey-solo