Main
Robbie Williams / Morrissey comparison?
Posted on Tue, Sep 21 1999 at 9:16 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
I don't see it. From anon:

In the German 'lifestyle' magazine PETRA is a portrait of Robbie Williams. The author compares him on some parts with Morrissey. Here's what he says (my translation - hope it is ok):

Robbie is from Manchester, also from this city is Morrissey. Next to Robbie he is the world's second most known popstar in the 90s, but unlike Morrissey, Robbie doesn't have to think much to say something clever.

As he (Robbie) left Take That this was a tragic catastrophe as it was in 1987 when Moz left The Smiths.

In the morning Robbie firstly is happy about getting older (btw, like Morrissey does, too).

So far parts of the portrait - not important, but interesting anyway.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

I don't see any similarities between Robbie and Morrissey except maybe some blue eyes and brown hair. Their music is completely different and a comparison is ridiculous. Big deal that they are both from Manchester. Prince is from St. Paul and so is Paul Westerberg, but should we compare those two?

Delvin Richards
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:20:09 (PDT) | #1

The German "Petra" is actually a women magazine about fashion, lifestyle, etc. and should not be taken as a serious and reliable source for anything concerning music, film, books, or whatever. Of course this article mentioning Morrissey is pathetic.

Mat <%00>
%00 - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:48:45 (PDT) | #2

Do Robbie really think before he says something?

BO
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:53:01 (PDT) | #3

Robbie has six letters and so does Steven.

Williams starts with a "W". Upside down it makes an "M" as in Morrissey.

The Smiths sang "Asleep". Everyone wished Take that would be put to sleep.

Williams shot a video on July 25th 1998. Morrissey shot a video on July 25th 1988. Exactly 10 years apart.

Coincidence?

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:02:05 (PDT) | #4

Both from Manchester??

Er no ! Robbie is from Burslem in the Potteries I believe. He certainly supports Port Vale football team.

The two areas aren't exactly hundreds of miles apart geographically but they are entirely separate entities in terms of identity, accent and outlook.

Other than that, the two are identical in every other respect. Mmm!

Jeff <[email protected]>
%00 - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:07:21 (PDT) | #5

who the hell is robbie williams?

an ignorant american
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:17:29 (PDT) | #6

Morrissey has two eyes; Robbie has two eyes
Morrissey has two ears; Robbie has two ears
Morrissey is a man; Robbie is a man
Morrissey has a nose; Robbie has a nose
Coincidence?????

Philip Drummond
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:31:29 (PDT) | #7

We know that Robbie's first ever-solo single was George Michael's Freedom and was released in 1996. We also know that George Michael has always secretly wanted Morrissey. We also know that his debut solo album, has the word September in it and Morrissey has the word November in one of his songs - the similarities are amazing!

Samantha Baker <[email protected]>
Skokie, IL - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 12:01:33 (PDT) | #8

What Website Am I on? George Michael being compared to Morrissey - this is sick! George Michael is so I am in high school in the 80's and like to watch a gay man wiggle his ass in tight jeans - Samantha! Why don't you go back to New Trier High School. I mean I am sorry but George Michael is so commercial - well prior to the bathroom scene anyway!

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 12:29:38 (PDT) | #9

Chill Joycee... there is no reason for fear, Geroge is busy with himself.

anon
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 12:39:51 (PDT) | #10

Thank you anon for that highly insightful opinion of yours. I will be waiting with bated breath for your next post.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 12:50:27 (PDT) | #11

Noooooooo! die lard boy die! Blobbie hates Moz thank gawd, he said something like "I wrote a really depressing song but it was crap, I hate Morrissey" - yay! Incidentally I utterly detest that cun* Robbie Williams, can you tell?

John <[email protected]>
Scotland, UK - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 13:32:05 (PDT) | #12

Didn't Johnny Marr Leave The Smiths???????

Ken
Long Island - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 14:01:50 (PDT) | #13

What an idiot...Robbie Williams is hardly as clever as morrissey and his lyrics are truly rediculous...Millenium...what a creative name for a song now-a-days, eh?

Corey <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 15:01:02 (PDT) | #14

Robbie Williams is a bloody wanker. Morrissey is a brilliant lad, and shouldn't even be placed in the same level as Robbie "Take That is CRAP" Williams. It's ridiculous.

Light that never goes out <[email protected]>
Los Angeles - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 15:24:46 (PDT) | #15

Unlike clever Morrissey, the famous Robbie doesn't think much.

Javier
Los Angeles - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 15:33:16 (PDT) | #16

How can anyone compare The Smiths with Take That?????? blarght.

Fernanda
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 15:42:15 (PDT) | #17

Two years ago I read in a George Michael fanzine that George deeply admired Morrissey and the Smiths, and he made a shocking comment that said "if I were going to be an openly gay man, Morrissey would be the object of my desire." I could not believe this, but then again, it WAS IN A GEORGE MICHAEL FANCLUB MAGAZINE! There was no motive for the publishers to lie, since it wasn't a tabloid. In light of Michael's openly gay stance, we can assume that he, well....

This is true <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 16:19:57 (PDT) | #18

I can't decide which is more shocking, Morrissey and Robbie Williams being compared to each other, or someone stating that they read George Michael fanzines.

Frankie Shankly(not Franc or Frank) <[email protected]>
Southern California - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 17:01:46 (PDT) | #19

I read an article that compared Robbie Williams to to Morrissey. It said "compared to Morrissey, Robbie Williams is sh*te".

Caligula
Scotland - Home of only 1 date! - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 17:57:40 (PDT) | #20

The person who wrote this article is obviously an idiot. I like George Michael. He's pretty and he has a nice voice. Funky tunes. What more do you want from a pop star? They can't all be like Morrissey.

capitalist pig
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 20:25:56 (PDT) | #21

The writer of that article desperately wished to write an article on Morrissey. In the next article on George Michael he would probably write about the link between George's arrest in LA and Morrissey's move to LA. And there you have his second article on Moz.

Moz Tard
Dijon - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:00:42 (PDT) | #22

even if that is true about George Michael liking Morrissey we already know Morrissey hates George Michael.

- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 04:02:50 (PDT) | #23

totally doubtful that Morrissey hates George. Realistic that Robbie makes Moz gag but doubtful that George conjures up any such feelings.

Jeannie Capen <[email protected]>
Missississippi - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 06:50:39 (PDT) | #24

Insightful comments from everyone. Joyce some advice for you,
just relax, this site is for entertainment purposes only your infatuation with Geore is evident maybe some day you two will be one.

Vicar in a TuTu
Madrid Spain - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 06:59:17 (PDT) | #25

robbie williams is great. as for his lyrics, though they may not be of the caliber of much of morrissey's work, they're far more interesting than anything morrissey has written in many years.

morrissey would be lucky to write anything nearly as catchy and enjoyable as robbie's songs. robbie doesn't take himself so seriously, and has a sense of irony. morrissey has no such charms. morrissey has no real charms at all anymore, now that i think about it.

robbie, however, has charm in ample supply, and is the most charismatic popstar i have seen. perhaps he's not a genius, but neither are the majority of you who are bashing him, probably without ever giving his records a chance.

all of you who bash george michael (who i do not care for, but...) and robbie need to get more fun out of life, and stop being so arrogant. you're hung up on a bitter, washed-up, formerly brilliant artist...there is so much more to life.

sdavenport <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 07:19:20 (PDT) | #26

Why always the tone of nostalgia when people
speak of Morrissey? In every Morrissey record review there is a statement such as
"well, not as good as when...". The problem
is that this can be traced back indefinately -
they will say that Southpaw Grammar is no Vauxhall, Strangeways no Louder than Bombs. This ring of false nostalgia seems to be the best method that people who never really understood or felt what Morrissey is doing have had to discount him. (Which is perfectly fine, there are more
than enough of us to keep him well shod.)

Is he going downhill? I don't think so. I
personally think he's better now, either
simply because of his own maturity, or because
going solo has allowed him more room
to, allow the verb, Morrisey.

Tallyho

veering cliffhuxtableward
- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 07:33:58 (PDT) | #27

"Every Morning when I wake up
I look like my dad but without the make up"

Paul Nightingale <[email protected]>
Channel Islands - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 08:52:09 (PDT) | #28

What an utter load of bollocks.

Scott <[email protected]>
England for the English - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 09:18:22 (PDT) | #29

I remember reading that when George Michael did MTV Unplugged he wore a dark suit and said he felt like Morrissey.

The Girl Racer <[email protected]>
Chicago - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 10:04:29 (PDT) | #30

Take That is that much better with out the likes of Robbie, I wish he would stay in his own sand box and stop trying to drag lovely people into his. Morrissey needs no help from this freak!

Cat Corolla
- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:53:46 (PDT) | #31

Robbie Williams sux. His "Millenium" single is a ripoff of a Mansun song called "The Chad Who Loved Me". The string section in each song is identical.

And George Micheal may have some good pop songwriting skills, but has a song catalogue entirely forgettable next to Moz's.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:55:46 (PDT) | #32

AHHHHH Thats who Robbie Williams is. He's the clown who sings Millenium? Actually that song has a cool sound but no way does he compare to Morrissey!!! Isn't he like a British Back Street Boy? "This man said its gruesome that someone so handsome should caaaaaaaarrreee."

Warren
Chespaw - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:50:38 (PDT) | #33

Warren, da! Take That is Britian's Backstreet Boys however they were around years, years ago.

Viva Britania!
- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 13:11:08 (PDT) | #34

veering cliffhuxtableward...I totally agree. I think that sometimes people find it very easy to critique something when they are speaking that way. Oh, well.

On another note why do you(the person who wrote about Morrissey having no charm) come to this site if Moz is so washed up and all? Don't come back at me and try to start an argument or something...I am just curious. He must be enticing you on some level.

I think some of Morrissey's most beautiful work has been in the last few years.

- Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 17:50:38 (PDT) | #35

What is up with Corey? Are you a huge dork, or what?

William Wallace
Scotland - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 06:52:40 (PDT) | #36

I think we need some new topics David. It is getting ugly in here.

Manou
San Jose, CA - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 07:15:12 (PDT) | #37

jeff, the strings are sampled from a james bond theme...which robbie acknowledges. so, if mansuns sounds just like that, and hasn't acknowledged it, they it's mansun who have ripped someone off. either way, robbie didn't rip off mansun.
so...bad argument on your part.

and to corey, were you trying to imply that because i think morrissey's work sucks now, that i never understood his work? sorry pal, you're off base there, and have established an illogical cause-effect relationship... i understood his work "then" and i think i still understand where he's coming from VERY WELL now...i also happen to think his more recent work is poor, rather compared to his own previous stuff or to the work of others.

i don't like to hold myself back with illusions...

and to everyone who went on about take that, robbie's work has nothing in common with anything take that ever did. those of you who tried to insult robbie by name-dropping take that only proved my point that you are bashing robbie without really knowing anything about his work.

i've said it before, i wish people would develop their critical thinking skills before they try to sound so very smug...

- Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 07:15:34 (PDT) | #38

What is up with sdavenport? Are you a huge dork,too? People, relax it is a web site devoted to love peace and happiness!

William Wallace <[email protected]>
Scotland - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 07:20:56 (PDT) | #39

I am sticking with my opinion on WE NEED SOME NEW TOPICS - Jeez before people really start slinging mud!

Manou
San Jose, CA - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 07:33:41 (PDT) | #40

The GirlRacer,
You mentioned that our funk pop lavatory fiend George Michael 'felt' like Morrissey. Well, he felt like him, but did he manage to get him ?
..........Oh, I see what you mean now.

Miserable Liar
England - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 12:35:05 (PDT) | #41

Sir William Wallace (FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMM)
Your asking if Corey is a dork, this is obviously
your first day on the site or you would know the answer. OUT

Warren
Chespaw - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 13:10:03 (PDT) | #42

I am sorry maybe it is me - but isn't it Thursday - Why don't we have any new topics?

Rhett
Altanta, GA - Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 13:35:12 (PDT) | #43

Warren...I love you. How could I not love somebody so idiotic. Yer just so darn cute*gag*

soldado <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 15:22:29 (PDT) | #44

Well, when was Morrissey's best period? How
about 1993? If my hunch is correct (follow me
here), in 1993 you were saying that Morrissey
really peaked in 1990. And, here's the key,
in 1990 you were lamenting the decline of the
once great Morrissey...

veering cliffhuxtableward
- Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 23:29:20 (PDT) | #45

Hey guys!
What about me? I thought we were talking about me?

Robbie Williams
England - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 00:29:25 (PDT) | #46

who is the f is robbie williams?

who is robbie williams
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 07:09:18 (PDT) | #47

yeah william, i'm a huge dork. just like robbie.

and as for you, veering cliffhuxtableward, you're still so incredibly clueless, it's ALMOST funny.
too bad you're not nearly as perceptive as you seem to think you are.

and guys, if you don't like the topics, stop reading the posts. i could talk about robbie for ages...

www.robbiewilliams.com

- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 07:09:49 (PDT) | #48

Well sdavenport - if you can talk about Robbie for ages - why don't you instead of talking about everyone else. I think in reality you don't even know who robbie williams is.

Rhett
Altanta, GA - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 08:02:56 (PDT) | #49

Thank you thank you thank you Dr.Huxtable and Cory! Totally agree with the both of you. We havenīt seen the best of Morrissey yet!

BTW, who the @#!!! cares about MANSUN! Has anything more dull crawled out of those creepy islands in the past . . .pfft. . .MILLENNIUM!

Oh love of mine, would you condescend to help me cause Iīm stupid and blind?

"Back for Good" by Take That is a pretty song.

Loretta Scars(Lastnightidreamtofbobgeldofinplatforms)
Deadham, Mass. - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 14:43:28 (PDT) | #50

I'm at morrissey-solo.com, right? I think this page linked me to some Robbie Williams site or maybe this is where we talk about every other solo artist from the UK except Morrissey. mmm?

Michael
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 18:05:53 (PDT) | #51

sdavenport,

My Bad. If Robbie did indeed loop a James Bond sample instead of rip Mansun off, then he is far worse the "musician" for it. With that musical ethic, he's probably on the new Puff Daddy album.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 07:30:21 (PDT) | #52

jeff honey, please try to make sense...

- Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 15:23:34 (PDT) | #53

Sdavenport -

Moz has no sense of irony? He has no charms? And you say you understand the man?

As for Mr. Williams, I can't say I've ever heard his music, so I won't say anything on that subject. I will say George Michael is okay for what he is. If he fancies Morrissey, so much the better!

There must be more to your life than coming to a site about a "bitter, washed-up, formerly brilliant artist". You seem to be the one not enjoying yourself very much.

Bertrand
- Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 23:42:00 (PDT) | #54

Anyone who makes a song out of a looped string section is unethical. Pick up a guitar, play a piano and write a song. That's how all the greats have done it. And then you can worry about samples and loops.
Otherwise you'll end up creating music with no ethical boundaries, like Puff Daddy who has the shameless gaul to rap over old songs and sell them as new songs.
If you want to hear some ambitious songwriting along with great sampling, check out Cibo Matto's latest album "Stereotype A".

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 08:55:48 (PDT) | #55

Who's Robie Williams? The son of Robin Williams?

This Charming Man <[email protected]>
- Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 18:55:47 (PDT) | #56

i don't think so!!!! Robbie wishes!

international playboy
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:45:20 (PDT) | #57

Morrissey is scads better than that little puss Robbie Williams. NO OTHER artist's verve will ever compare to that of Steven's. Morrissey is a brilliant poet. Robbie is a focking popstar washup wanker. "Millenium" sucks.Take THAT, HOOKERS!!
Moz-- "bring me home and have me." See you Oct. 6 at the Arlington!!

juicy mozboobz
santa maria, california - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 17:52:12 (PDT) | #58

Robbie Williams .... Morrissey? No comparison, who is Robbie Williams, an ugly, non-stylin', cocky for no reason, MTV performing, unimaginative, cleverless twit, who the hell is this guy? We all know who Morrissey is, the best male performer and most intelligent man to strut outside of Manchester. Period. Robbie Williams, ya stink!

Ryan Kennedy <[email protected]>
SC - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:26:24 (PDT) | #59

Of course there's no comparison between those two..I'd like to point this out...before mentioning Mansun as reference for the song "Millenium" you should listen to Soft Cell's "You only live twice"...way before Mansun...therefore, Marc Almond is also as good lyricist as Moz, more versatile...As for George Michael: brilliant, he comes to my 2nd choice as best male vocalist, he's doing everything on his albums...clever man...

stephen brisebois <[email protected]>
Montreal - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:50:18 (PDT) | #60

robbie williams?, compared to Morrissey?, please..., is like comparing Britney Spears and Annie Lennox (I'm not tallking about the body)

F*ck Robbie

rodrigo <[email protected]>
- Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 08:43:30 (PDT) | #61

* return to Morrissey-solo