Main
Mon, Feb 22 1999
More Henry Rollins

Thanks to Sarah Dine for the following:

Henry Rollins was a guest video programmer on Australia's late night video program, Rage.

One of his choices was, funnily enough, "November Spawned a Monster". Here is his explanation as to why he made the choice:

"The reason I picked Morrissey'd be because, in my opinion, Morrissey just embodies every horrible trait that a human can possibly possess. I mean, he's British, he didn't have to work very hard. And they have a handicap anyway, I mean, you notice all the great musicians who were English Moved. Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward -- the members of Black Sabbath; one of the world's greatest bands, even though they were British -- they (baffled head shake) moved to America. Which is great.

"Umm... I just love this video because it catches our hero Morrissey lounging about in this hilarious shirt and just, whenever I see, I see the video of (puncey accents) November Spawned a Monstah I'm always here with a twinge of regret that it was not I who got to direct this video because in the last scene Morrissey'd just, would be doused with gasoline and set on fire too. And then we'd just get some, er, a wild sound mike up and just the sound of his hair and the polyester shirt burning into his skin and his last cries on earth and what we could do is we'd take that and put a house beat behind it and put it on a 12" and sell it to all these emaciated, you know, kids with bad teeth who don't have enough Vitamin C who never get outside, and it's like: Morrissey, cheer up, it's not that bad.

"When you've got as much money as that guy does, you know, I'd be happy. David Lee Roth said 'Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a boat big enough to sail right next to it.' So I think the guy should cheer up.

"So, I think we should play this video today to show everybody the traits they shouldn't cultivate. Look at Morrissey and just be, just jump up and down in joy that you are not him. That's why.

"And I know that this might be a little cruel, that I might have, you know, bashed our beautiful friends over there in Britain and, you know, I really don't care. I really, I really don't care.

"Personally, I wouldn't want to burn him up. I'd like to tie him to a chair and tease him till he pees his pants and promises never to do it again."

Henry Rollins, Rage 10yr special. 1997.

Comments / Notes (73)
"Please Please Please..." on Never Been Kissed soundtrack

From Naehairont, news at JAMtv:

There isn't much in the way of new material on the soundtrack to Never Been Kissed. In fact, "Girl Called Happiness" by teen heartthrob Jeremy Jordan is absolutely it. But the album -- and the film for that matter -- isn't without its star power. The romance-comedy, set for release April 9, features Drew Barrymore and David Arquette, but also about forty or so recognizable songs sprinkled throughout the film, almost twice as many as are heard in typical teen chick-flicks. Previously-released songs included in the film and soundtrack will include John Lennon's "Watching the Wheels," the Cardigans' "Erase and Rewind," the Smiths' "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" and the Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby." Other artists expected to appear on the album include R.E.M., Semisonic, Blind Melon and Swirl 360, among others.

Comments / Notes (1)
"How Soon Is Now?" in Cruel Intentions trailer

Several people e-mailed that the Love Spit Love version of "How Soon Is Now?" is being used in the trailer for the movie Cruel Intentions. I thought it had been mentioned before but I think I just lost track.

Comments / Notes (5)
"Suedehead" on new 80's compilation (Germany)

From Stefan Krix:

For the first time a song by Morrissey has been chosen to appear on the German 80s Compilation-Series 'Pop&Wave' (Sony).

The Series (always 2-CD) started in 1992 and to my view they pay attention to quality and chart success.

Meanwhile they've reached Vol.8, which was released this month and it includes "Suedehead".

Back in 1992, they released a single spin-off called 'Rock&Wave', which included "Panic" by The Smiths.

Comments / Notes (1)
Morrissey video on 120 Minutes (really)

Thanks to Luke Bagwell, first to let me know MTV actually played a Morrissey video 120 Minutes yesterday. Also, from Jen:

...It was "The Last of the Famous International Playboys." Funny thing is, I've been e-mailing 120 Min messages about how upset I was when they didn't play a Moz vid two weeks ago, as was promised. Each time I mailed them I asked for the "Last of..." vid to be played and my wish was granted (or so I'd like to think)!

Comments / Notes (9)

* return to Morrissey-solo