-tour
-marketplace
Links
-Shoplifters Union
About

Poll: Favorite Smiths album
Posted on Mon, Sep 13 1999 at 9:26 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
I'm not including the compilations because I don't feel like it, alright?? Poll suggested by Emily:

Favorite Smiths album:
The Smiths
Meat Is Murder
The Queen Is Dead
"Strangeways, Here We Come"

Results | Past Polls

* add comments to this item here or on the discussion board

Comments / Notes

A VERY NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE DECISION TO MAKE. BUT SENTIMENT DICTATES "THE QUEEN IS DEAD"

MARK
DUB IN SAN FRANCISCO - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 09:56:40 (PDT) | #1

in spite of the narrow scope of this "poll", I cast my vote for "Hatful of Hollow"

thirsty fists
San Francisco - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:06:08 (PDT) | #2

Well, we all know Morrissey and Marr would be casting votes for Strangeways. They did supply the sandwiches...

maladjusted <[email protected]>
Kingston, Ontario - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:11:43 (PDT) | #3

This was probably the hardest poll question I've ever answered. After about 10 minutes I decided Meat is Murder.

Girl Racer <[email protected]>
Chicago - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:11:45 (PDT) | #4

"Hatful of Hollow" isn't really a compilation. Its such an accomplished and important record that it should be included in any list of Smiths albums.
"Rank" should also be there!

Consumer Monkey <[email protected]>
Manchester - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:15:32 (PDT) | #5

Rank!

Frankie Hejduk
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:44:48 (PDT) | #6

"Strangeways" will always be my favorite Smiths foray..because it was the last, and also because there is an undercurrent of finality. I have very bittersweet memories of this one, listening to it in my car on rainy days, feeling sad and somehow in the midst of magic..

Kali <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:47:33 (PDT) | #7

Meat is Murder!!!

This is cleary the best Smiths effort.
Moz and the boys were still an Indie band and without help from a Major Record Label or promotions, it still entered #1 on release.

It also contains the very under-rated tracks:
"Well I Wonder" &
"What She Said"

Too Bad Moz's recent material doesn't reflect his melodies & lyrics shown on Meat is Murder.

Ken
Long Island - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 11:05:54 (PDT) | #8

Just like "thirsty fists": Hatful of Hollow.

Fabio Pagano <[email protected]>
Italy - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 11:13:53 (PDT) | #9

does anyone agree that the first album is a piece of utter garbage when put next to the rest?

John in NJ <[email protected]>
Trenton, NJ - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 11:36:59 (PDT) | #10

I prefer the White album

Bubba
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 11:40:05 (PDT) | #11

Definitely The Queen is Dead...the best Smith's songs are on this album...A masterpiece, just like Vauxhall & I...long live the Queen (sic)...

steve brisebois <[email protected]>
Montreal - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 11:40:23 (PDT) | #12

I can not decide...

Javier
Los Angeles - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 12:06:43 (PDT) | #13

Hey guys! I picked Strangeways. Why wasn't
Louder than Bombs a choice?? I can't understand
why everyone always picks the Queen is Dead. Its
my least fav by The Smiths. Any East Coast Info. Watch out for Hurricane Floyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warren
Chespaw - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 12:29:06 (PDT) | #14

I don't agree that the first album is lousy compared to the rest. I think they are all fantastic! But I have to throw my hat in with the "Rank" fans as that is just a "make my spine tingle" great album. My fav track..."I know its over". Morrissey's voice is absolutely heavenly, so many transitions while keeping his voice so smooth! I play it over and over, never get sick of it. I'm laying here wide to receive any criticism you care to give...

Steve <[email protected]>
San Francisco(or there abouts...) - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 12:35:23 (PDT) | #15

It may have been just a Christmas present for Smiths fans, but Hatful of Hollow, I think, ranks as the best album.

montyclift <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 12:45:25 (PDT) | #16

Steve,
I agree with you 100%!!! I'm lying here totally
wide to receive You. Go Moz Go GO GO..... Attention all Wide Receivers...............Come in wide receivers

Garrett Cronin
Clearwater FLORIDA - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:03:11 (PDT) | #17

The album that I first bought (and played constantly) was The World Won't Listen. For ages I used to tell everyone (who was still listening) that it was the best. Now I realise it's Hatful of Hollow. But neither count. Oh well. The Queen is Dead it is then.

Duncan H <[email protected]>
Bath, England - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:14:12 (PDT) | #18

without a doubt meat is murder!!the whole album sums up my feelings toward love and life.not to say the other aren't as good ,they're all masterpieces.it was a tough decision.

unluvuble <[email protected]>
los angeles - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:18:24 (PDT) | #19

I really wish you could have voted for more than one! I voted for "The Queen Is Dead" but I like "The Smiths" equally as much with "Meat Is Murder" a VERY close second. If "Hatful Of Hollow," "Rank," or "Louder Than Bombs" were on the list, I wouldn't have voted for them anyway. But they're definitely very good...as is "Strangeways."

It's sizzling blood and the unholy stench of MURDER...

Tara <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:25:45 (PDT) | #20

I can't see why more people didn't pick the first album. It has all of the classics(What Difference, Reel Around.., Still Ill, This Charming Man). Plus the best lyrics:

"She wants it now, she will not wait. But she's too rough and I'm too del-i-cate"

"The sun shines out of our behinds"

"Two lumps please, your the bees knees but so am I"

The rest are hard to stomach through the whole albums, especially Meat!

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:27:33 (PDT) | #21

"hatful of hollow" is the best pop album ever made. i listened to every day for two years while in college in '85/'86. although they remained an awesome band for the rest of their days, it was all downhill from there.

johnny <[email protected]>
new england - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:28:53 (PDT) | #22

Johnny (#22), what a contradiction! My best-ever is also Hatful, but TQID is tops on this list, followed *very* closely by their debut LP (for anyone who cares).

Lifeguard Commenting
The Wrong Coast - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:40:02 (PDT) | #23

david getting testy?hmm... yes, yes, I like, I like, bring on the attitude david. this nice guy bit has run its course. I say

blip armstrong
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:47:26 (PDT) | #24

Surely Hatful of Hollow must be included...if not, then 'Meat' by a short head. 'Nowhere Fast' was the first track I heard by The Smiths. I still laugh out loud at the lyrics.

Springheeled Jim <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:47:39 (PDT) | #25

Very hard indeed!!!! I picked The Queen is Dead, but not because "it's a masterpiece" like everybody says, as a matter of fact I think Strangeways is a better album ... but hey: The Queen is Dead features I know it's Over .. so that's my choice!!!!

Neil H. Enet <[email protected]>
Caracas, VENEZUELA - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 13:59:39 (PDT) | #26

Yup. Hatful of Hollow!

Phubbbs
Indiana, USA - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:00:01 (PDT) | #27

I am still waiting...

Ed Cristiano
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:05:50 (PDT) | #28

i picked strangeways...but i don't know why. it depends on the mood of each moment, i suppose. i think thet the first is perhaps the better, but it is badly produced, and meat is murder is my less favourite, while hatful is totally awesome.

juan soler <[email protected]>
A Coruņa (Espaņa) - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:10:29 (PDT) | #29

Ed I told you to take a guess!!! Follow instruction honey.....Thank you

Julie Adikes
Boston - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:13:08 (PDT) | #30

My vote is Meat is murder but I am waiting patiently to find out more. My patience actually is running thin and 20 minutes is turning into a very quick 4 minutes, maybe 3!!!

Pat Clark
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:21:29 (PDT) | #31

Dear Patrick Clark ahhh the name fits you well.
Pat you can fool some of the people all the time,
all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time. Guess or die wondering.................

Mr. Urbane
Grand Rapids - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:48:50 (PDT) | #32

The Queen Is Dead, is my favorite. As for wondering and guessing - I prefer to do neither, a real man just tells it like it is. Do tell.

Kyle Vosen
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 14:55:35 (PDT) | #33

Strangeways will always be my fav. It was the first Smiths record I ever bought. Though "What difference..." was the first song I ever heard, I picked Strangeways when I went to the
Liquorice(sp?)Pizza Records(remember those??). I asked the clerk what Smiths record was the best, and he said he liked Strangeways since it was their latest...Much to my dismay, they had broken up a few months prior. I wish I can thank him and the girl that tricked me into listening to the Smiths...wherever you two are, I thank you.
-rob

RobM <[email protected]>
Sandi Grrringo - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 15:12:11 (PDT) | #34

I find myself playing LOUDER THAN BOMBS
more than any other cd I own

Mark
Boston - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 15:22:19 (PDT) | #35

Every Smiths (and Morrissey) album is my favorite. I can't choose one.

Nina Simone <[email protected]>
Santiago de Chile - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 15:49:45 (PDT) | #36

did anyone notice the great professional footballer (soccer, to the uneducated) frankie hedjuk voted for rank (coment #6)?

look to los angeles <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 16:40:51 (PDT) | #37

The world won't listen

Tito
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 16:43:46 (PDT) | #38

I just have to smile when I think of any song by the Smiths. Its all become so classic. The greatest music, mood and men to grace this gods earth. The Smiths, chill my bones, warm my heart. I wont pick a favorite. not now, not ever, I love you all

Smiths or Else.. or else nothing <Smiths . music to live for >
Smiths . The greatest sound know to man - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 17:48:55 (PDT) | #39

"The Smiths" had the most interesting lyrical content. Plus, Morrissey was screaming to be heard for the first time. Therefore, this seems an obvious choice.

Copeland <[email protected]>
Buffalo, NY - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 18:06:58 (PDT) | #40

why are so many people naming "Hatful of Holllow" as their favorite? while individually the songs are exceptional how can a compilation of b-sides and re-releases be considered an "album"? there is no continuity of style or sound and therefore it is only correct that it should not be considered in this poll.

MARK
DUB IN SAN FRANCISCO - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 18:45:24 (PDT) | #41

I'm a Relic & actually bought This Charming Man 12" EP (w/ Accept Yourself & Wonderful Woman)when it came out in '82, so my heart goes to the very first album. The proof that talent, not gizmos, make a band. A toast to The Smiths: The most important band of the last 2 decades.

Fence
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 19:06:28 (PDT) | #42

I agree that they're all brilliant, but Meat won my vote for creating such a consistent mood all the way through. It always has to be listened to in its entirety. It was also my first introduction to the Smiths and I always remember how the lyrics and music just blew me away.

homaque
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 19:56:45 (PDT) | #43

hatful of hallow

mozchick
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 21:20:29 (PDT) | #44

STRANGEWAYS -- no band could ever record an album like that anymore. Very urgent.

Richard Fulham
Manhattan USA - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 21:42:16 (PDT) | #45

Hatful Of Hollow is my all-time favorite Smiths record! What it means - don't feel like that? Louder than bomb is a collection of non-album tracks.

Ian <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 21:57:15 (PDT) | #46

The Queen is Dead is is the highlight of The Smiths' brilliant albums. It's not only their best , but THE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME.

EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Paul <pkwheller>
Melbourne, Australia - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 21:57:37 (PDT) | #47

What difference does it make?
Any album, any single,
any b-side is my favorite.
Long live the Lyrical King!!!

gerry <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 22:07:59 (PDT) | #48

take me out tonight.... THE QUEEN IS DEAD without a doubt. countdown to morrissey tours begins...

EDDIE <[email protected]>
city of angels - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 23:58:29 (PDT) | #49

although i picked 'queen is dead' (because it is my all time fave) i don't see how the 'singles/b-sides' albums (louder than bombs, world won't listen, hatful) can't be considered as legitimate albums. true, they consist of b-sides and singles...true, they are somewhat 'maladjusted' in their arrangement...and true, they're very similar...but that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't albums.

if anything, those three albums do something albums of most other bands do not do: they make available singles/b-sides and live material that is otherwise hard to obtain (outside buying the vinyls, bootlegs, or getting them on cd-r...)

and besides that, some of the best smiths songs are on those albums (ie: 'handsome devil', 'stretch out and wait', 'ask', 'please please please let me get what i want', 'accept yourself' etc.), and aren't available on the other lp's

state of emergency
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:12:07 (PDT) | #50

Nice idea for a poll! now I know what to buy next

Suede fan
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:18:15 (PDT) | #51

I voted "The queen is dead"! It was my favourite record in the 80s and I still love it. However, the choice between such amazing records is really difficult.

Michael <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:17:00 (PDT) | #52

Picking your favorite is so futile. Something any Smiths fan shouldn't even think about.

Violent Beeatch
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:35:15 (PDT) | #53

i voted "the smiths".because something was started.
however,i cried when i listened "i know it s over"
at first.
the song is very beautiful.

tadateru.uyama <[email protected]>
tokyo japan - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:51:59 (PDT) | #54

It seems to me....
That partically everyones' wilde about Morrissey!

Storee <[email protected]>
Screen name gives it away~ - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:59:37 (PDT) | #55

All of the above have been a favorite at some point. Too tough to pick one. We shouldnt pick one.

Bob
San Diego - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 05:05:06 (PDT) | #56

John in NJ: you're absoultely positively right. The Smiths (the album, not the group) is pretty crappy compared to the other masterpieces. Take our hero's voice for example; the improvement from Hand In Glove to I Know It's Over must be one of the greatest in pop history. And then of course, Strangeways is the real work of perfection.

sheridan whiteside <[email protected]>
gothenburg, sweden - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 06:48:07 (PDT) | #57

Suede fan (they are great) but what is your link? I am confused as to where it leads.? I was re-directed to another free mail page...

Star-Child
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:39:54 (PDT) | #58

Oh, Sheridan, don't come to the house tonight! I find the urgency of Morrissey's voice on the first album undeniably appealing. "Reel Around the Fountain," for example, or the end of "Still Ill." I agree that The Queen is Dead marked the apex of Moz's singing, but there is still nothing better than listening to, say, Sandie Shaw's cover of "Jeanne" and hearing 25 year-old Mozzer whoop and moan in the background....

Mateo
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:48:40 (PDT) | #59

I change my plea to.....Anything but the Queen is Dead. I clicked on Frankie H (#6) email address
and it takes me to the Colorado Rapids Homepage??
I thought when He left the Tampa Bay Mutiny he went to go play in Germania???? Viva MLS.

Mike Alstott
Tampa Florida - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:19:13 (PDT) | #60

RANK- whether someone wants to say this is a comp, or not, this is truly my favorite nonetheless.

Lisa <[email protected]>
CT - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:32:27 (PDT) | #61

AND OH MY LORD, THE FIRST ALBUM IS THE FURTHEST THING FROM CRAP, IT IS WHAT LAUNCHED THEIR NEWBORN CAREERS...YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE...

Lisa <[email protected]>
CT - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:39:22 (PDT) | #62

This question is SHEER MADNESS!! it's like asking
me to chose between my mom and my dad.
like asking whether i would rather lose an eye
or a testicle. i refuse to participate in the
whole mad endeavour (although The Smiths is the
first and best, it being the most poignantly Moz
and the most rhythmically Marr)

Max

Max <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:42:11 (PDT) | #63

Call me a prude but I think I'd rather lose a testicle than an eye.

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:54:57 (PDT) | #64

Okay.. I think some people are taking this question a little too seriously "Like having to pick between my mother and father..." I wonder sometimes... Also, I really think Hatful of Hollow should have made it as one of the choices.. especially with the large number of people on here who like the record so much. As for saying it doesn't hold "continuity" or the sound is too different throughout it.. is rather ridiculous.. as the songs were not all written so far apart, and second they were all PICKED to be put on the record. That, in my mind, is enough to suggest some thought was involved in the layout. Anyhow, I voted Meat is Murder simply cause HFH wasn't listed, and MisM is the first record I ever bought, so it has sentimental reflection for me. But when I suggest a Smiths record to someone interested, I always tell them Hatful of Hollow. It was made for a general audience I think. Whereas the other records, MisM or the debut album, are more intimate records. Ah well...
EA

EAlvin
Philadelphia, PA USA - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:02:58 (PDT) | #65

AAAAHHHH!!!! picking a favorite smiths album is like picking a favorite vital organ....they're all crucial to your survival! all the same i chose "the smiths", i guess i just listen to it more.

Amy <[email protected]>
Utah - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:20:23 (PDT) | #66

SOOOOOOOOO HARD
BUT I HAD TO GO FOR THE SMITHS
AS IT IS THE MOST PURE SMITHS LP

GHD
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:29:18 (PDT) | #67

Whilst my personal favourite is `Meat is murder'. I feel that the Smiths albums suit different moods. For instance, staring from a window, hazy minded, on a rain drenched day `hatful of hollow' is unbeatable.
Many of the songs on the diverse `Meat is murder' have direct references to death, but in a positive-negative way that the individual must naturally feel, to really understand. A totally flawless album, and if we are all honest there have been very few that deserve such praise.

Steven

Steven <[email protected]>
Liverpool, England - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 17:03:39 (PDT) | #68

MEAT IS MURDER

Frankie Shankly(not Franc or Frank) <[email protected]>
Southern California - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 19:56:58 (PDT) | #69

I chose The Queen is Dead and whoever it was who spoke ill of it should be taken out back and summarily beaten. I admit, I would have chosen Louder than Bombs if I could have--how can the lyrics "Amid concrete and clay and general decay nature will still find a way" not propel any album to the top of any list anywhere?

Boy afraid <[email protected]>
Greenville SC - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 22:31:01 (PDT) | #70

Undoubtedly MEAT IS MURDER!!! They all have rocked my world, but this one touches the profoundly personal for me, a religious experience really. This album prophesied that the meek shall indeed inherit the earth. A crack on the head in just what you get... divine!!!

Whatshesaid... <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 14:26:12 (PDT) | #71

A year ago I would have said "The Queen Is Dead",
but "Rusholme Ruffians" hasn't left my head
for the past 9 months!

Peter <[email protected]>
Providence, RI - Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 17:49:57 (PDT) | #72

Well after listening to them all in chronologial order, and "objectively" (yea right), well fu** i still don't know. i mean for a first album you'd have to have major problems to deny the brilliance of "The Smiths". for a lot of groups, the second album is regarded as crappier, but not the salford lads, i don't think they got a *lot* better than 'meat', but maintained that brilliance. ok well i guess i can't even vote for any *one* album. the thing with including albums like 'louder', and 'hatful' is that they had unique unreleased (on LP) songs, and so can't be regarded strictly as "compilations", i mean they are inasmuch as some other albums that happened to have singles on them... i don't quite get the logic there. anyway i guess strangeways...

keefer <[email protected]>
Vancouver - Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 20:29:23 (PDT) | #73

give me the emotional outpouring of "the smiths," the lyrical quality of "meat is murder," the sophisticated refinement of "the queen is dead," and the musical stylings of "strangeways"... and you quite possibly have the world's first perfect album!

look to los angeles <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 01:26:44 (PDT) | #74

Strange are the ways Russia is walking now, we haven't got a Queen either, you know.

Alexey <[email protected]>
Murmansk, Russia - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 03:09:34 (PDT) | #75

Strangeways only gets the vote because, although The Queen Is Dead has some of The Smith's most powerful songs, it hangs together better as an album.

Matthew
Albany, NY - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 09:43:00 (PDT) | #76

I love them all. "Strangeways" was my choice. But why decide at all?

Tor Aage <[email protected]>
Norway - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 13:46:36 (PDT) | #77

This is a very difficult decision, but I would have to say that THE SMITHS had to be the best one . Only because the lyrics are VERY VERY touching. on the other hand I think that TQID had the best music.

I'm still not understanding the whole ''louder than bombs" thing. I mean there's 24 songs on the cd and i'ts not considered an album. I mean they recorded all those songs and I don't think they were all singles and b-sides. "ask", "shakespears sister" were singles but what album were those songs suppose to promote????? The songs that were singles ended up on "THE SINGLES" collection cd. Even though they may never really had set out to make LTB an official "album" I think technically it is. Hollow is a good compilation. I think the most under rated cd would be meat is murder. Even though it wasn't according to the poll. What Smiths fan would not like "RANK"?????? We'll never hear The Smiths perform again so it's great that you can just pop that cd in at any time. "Stangeways" took some time for me to get into. I don't really know why either????

boy racer
Midland, pa - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 22:07:56 (PDT) | #78

Rank is very good, the last three songs have enough energy to make my faces muscles smile wherever I am, when I think of thier sound. Still ill is one of the greatest songs. Moz choking the words, spiting pleading desperately and coughing them out- " IIIIII dont know!!!" AH and the music behind him. Its incredible they are so unknown today. And its a good thing too. It makes it so much more personal and private.
Ehhhh

Rank you
- Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 09:56:28 (PDT) | #79

Bought Hatfull of Hollow in 1983 and have been a fan ever since. Queen is Dead is fantastic, first live show I saw, but the Peel Session versions of What Difference.. and others, make Hatful the best.
See you at the show next month...

Luis Gonzalez
Tempe, AZ - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 10:27:40 (PDT) | #80

who out of all of you decides whether or not something is a compilation so it doesn't count? There is nothing more irritating than people who voice their opinion's and others who have to throw around their trivial knowledge to downplay them, like they have one up on everyone else.
These questions are not complex, but simple opinionated forums, let people say whateer they want and stop trying to correct everything all of the time...This is supposed to be fun, you act like teachers correcting tests!

pashernateluv <[email protected]>
RI - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 13:45:51 (PDT) | #81

"world won't listen" damn fine, not here. "queen is dead" surprises me as the winner...figured "meat is murder" or "the smiths" would be in the top spot...perhaps depends on age of respondees...thus, I am old

cgates
- Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 00:28:15 (PDT) | #82

WOW!! I'm shocked that the first LP is ranked so low...it's a shame. That album by far is thee greatest Smiths album of all--sure TQID is a fantastic record and all, but nothing they ever releases after that brilliant first LP reached the level of pure beauty that came out of that first LP. Now, don't get me wrong--I loved "Meat Is Murder" when it came out and I loved "TQID", but I was a little indifferent towards "Strangeways." The lyrical content and quality of the debut was never really reached ever again. The honesty and passion of "Hand That Rock the Cradle," "Suffer Little Children," "Reel Around the Fountain,"(any of you out there remember those Los Angeles shows @ the Palladium in '85 & the Universal shows in '86? Damn!! Now that was passion and glory...),"Pretty Girls...", and "Miserable Lie" to name a few... let's not mention the music. What beautiful melodies came out of Johnny's guitar...BEAUTIFUL!! It was thee perfect record in every possible way... one of thee greatest LP of the 80's... ahhhhh the memories...

george o.
- Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 09:46:01 (PDT) | #83

I'm surprised 'Strangeways' (my choice), was so popular, I figured the first two albums would do better.

TQID has some great songs but SHWC flows as an album- with a theme of finality hovering over it.

Plus, my life's in those lyrics more than any other album by any band.

Moz and Marr have both said it's their favorite in the last few years, so there you go.

Rowdy Yeats <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 13:16:59 (PDT) | #84

This was a though one. Although i'm a Smiths/Morrissey fan since 1996 (i'm sorry) i must say that all the albums are of a very high standard. My favorite is however "Strangeways .... with "Meat is Murder" very close on the 2nd place and all the other ones "The Queen is dead", "The Smiths", "Louder than Bombs", "Rank", "The Final Gig" etc...etc... very nearby.

Wim Hoornweg <[email protected]>
Emmen, The Netherlands - Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 14:56:41 (PDT) | #85

"This Night Has Opened My Eyes" is the most stirring piece of music every written and find itself well placed on Meat is Murder with the other masterpieces.

Jason <[email protected]>
North Eastern United States - Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 15:14:58 (PDT) | #86

There IS a very clear definition of what makes a compilation, and what makes an album. An album is a set of songs recorded in one session (or a series of sessions over a limited time). A compilation is a retrospective of songs recorded in different sessions over a period of time. Mostly, it's a matter of intent. A band may take a year to record an album, or it may record a number of singles over a year and then release it as a compilation. The difference, again, is intent.

And yes, ALL of the songs on LTB were A or B sides. Look at the liner notes: it says recorded in England over something like a two-year period. Those stand-alone singles that didn't "promote" an album (like "Sheila") are there because the Smiths considered themselves a SINGLES band. That was (and is) Morrissey's preferred medium, born of his love for 60's pop. The notion that all singles must support an album didn't truly come into being until the 1970's.

And yes, Hatful of Hollow IS a perfect record, perhaps more so than any of the albums. But to argue that it IS an album is pure ignorance. It's best to consult a dictionary before sounding like a petulant fool.

Matt
- Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 17:48:09 (PDT) | #87

One thing that jumps out at me, and is a testament to the genius that is The Smiths is this; Even my least favourite album of the choices listed is one that I cherish. "Strangeways" is an album that, while I enjoy it, always manages to leave me wondering to myself "Who in the world did the arrangement?"
"Meat Is Murder" is 46:37 minutes of brilliance, and is Skip/Fast-Forward proof. In a word, all of the featured tracks are timeless. There is no finer Smiths album than "Meat...", and I'm hard pressed to think of a better album by any band, ever. My faith in this album is still devout.

Stalwart Lover <[email protected]>
Illinois - Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 18:02:10 (PDT) | #88

I still think 'Hatfull' is my favorite album...
shame it wasn't included in this poll.. the results would be very different, I guess.
Some of the songs that are on 'The Smiths' sound much better on 'Hatfull', but that, of course, is a matter of taste...
Now you forced me to choose 'The Queen'! And i will never forgive you for that!

SmotherMe
- Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 18:09:59 (PDT) | #89

Hello again...the choise between this beautiful albuns was frankly difficult...but the queen is dead is the album that i love more ... but the more important is that all of you love The Smiths/morrissey like i do...

Daniel <Sousa>
Portugal - leiria - Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 12:06:57 (PDT) | #90

Forget those who say it's belittling to pick the "best" album from the Smiths. The fact is, they're all great, but not equally like some say. The Queen is Dead is my absolute, favorite "studio" album. I Know It's Over just adds so much to that album along with There Is A Light... As far as the other ones go, I never, ever get tired of Louder Than Bombs. The tracks london, you just haven't earned it yet baby, stretch out and wait, unloveable and asleep just makes it impossible to put Louder Than Bombs behind in the discography.

Paul, from Maryland
- Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 19:06:55 (PDT) | #91

the queen is dead, just for i know it's over
my true favorite is RANK

kid flash <[email protected]>
windsor,ontario,canada - Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 13:10:51 (PDT) | #92

No question all of the Smiths works are brilliant. But "The Queen is Dead" must be looked upon as the most innovative and classic. Pure genius!

Dan M.
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 07:51:58 (PDT) | #

the world wont listen!!!

handsome devil <[email protected]>
- Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 22:40:36 (PST) | #

My vote for the best Smiths album would have to be "The Queen Is Dead". On top of a thousand reasons would be the lyric from the title song...
"So I broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner, she said, I know you and you cannot sing. I said, that's nothing, you should hear me play pian(ner)". PURE GENIUS!!!

John <[email protected]>
Camden, North London, England - Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 20:11:57 (PST) | #

* return to Morrissey-solo