posted by davidt on Wednesday December 17 2008, @08:30PM
Vu sends the info from the Girlie Action press release:

Morrissey's "Years of Refusal" To Be Released In The US On Attack/Lost Highway, "Tour of Refusal" World Tour Announced

Morrissey will release "Years of Refusal" in the US February 17, 2009 on Attack/Lost Highway. "Years of Refusal" will be Morrissey's first studio album since 2006's UK #1 "Ringleader of the Tormentors". In February, Morrissey will begin the US leg of his world tour that includes rare intimate club dates.

The late Jerry Finn, who previously worked on 2004's critical and commercial smash "You Are the Quarry", produced "Years of Refusal" which is the last album he worked on. The single "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris", which Morrissey debuted during his sold out 2007 world tour, will precede the album. Long time band members Boz Boorer, Jesse Tobias, Matt Walker, and Solomon Walker play on the album, which also features a contribution from Jeff Beck on the track "Black Cloud".

Morrissey is often recognized as the most important British musician of his generation. The New York Times recently stated, "Morrissey isn't just any singer: he has become one of the defining rock stars of the past few decades by virtue of his grand voice, his grander songs, and his charming habit of playing with melodrama". His influence is felt worldwide through the countless artists that cite him as their primary inspiration. "Years of Refusal" is a masterful work that finds Morrissey and the band at their best with a muscular sound and the inimitable voice and lyrics of a legend.

Fans can pre-order "Years of Refusal" and get the opportunity to buy tickets through Ticketmaster 24 hours before they go on sale to the general public. On sale for select dates begins this Friday December 19.
---
An anonymous person writes:
New Record deal !

Morrissey Inks U.S. Deal, Plots Spring Tour - Billboard.com

December 17, 2008 06:13 PM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Morrissey has inked a U.S. deal with Lost Highway for the release of his new album, "Years of Refusal," Billboard can reveal. Due Feb. 17, the project will be issued in conjunction with the former Smiths frontman's own Attack imprint.

Lost Highway is an intriguing destination for Morrissey, as it is most commonly associated with roots- and country-leaning acts such as Ryan Adams, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and Lucinda Williams. The label is also the U.S. home for Van Morrison and Elvis Costello.

"Refusal" will be supported by an extensive North American tour, including shows in three different New York venues (Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, Carnegie Hall).
---
Henrik Lundstrom sends the link:

Morrissey Reveals U.S. Release Details, Tour - Pitchfork

After much drama, Morrissey has settled on a U.S. label. Lost Highway, the primarily Americana label known for artists such as Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, Johnny Cash, and Willie Nelson, will release Morrissey's forthcoming album Years of Refusal in conjunction with Morrissey's own Attack imprint on February 17, 2009 in the United States. (It's out February 16 via Decca/Polydor in the UK.)
---
See articles for full US tour dates.

An anonymous person sends previous tour dates not previously posted:

02-28 Boca Raton, FL - Mizner Park
03-14 Washington, DC - Warner Theater
03-16 Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theater
03-21 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
03-22 Philadelphia, PA - Academy of Music
03-25 New York, NY - Webster Hall
03-26 New York, NY - Carnegie Hall
03-28 Mashantucket, CT - Foxwoods
03-29 Boston, MA - House of Blues
03-31 Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theater
04-01 Columbus, OH - Palace Theater
04-03 Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom
04-04 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom
04-06 Minneapolis, MN - State Theater
04-07 Kansas City, MO - Midland Theater
04-10 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
04-11 Houston, TX - Jesse H Jones Hall
04-12 Austin, TX - Bass Concert Hall
04-14 El Paso, TX - Chavez Theater
04-15 Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
---
Kewpie also sends the link (via Morrissey reddit):

Morrissey artist page on the Lost Highway site
posted by davidt on Wednesday December 17 2008, @01:00PM
An anonymous person sends the link:

The Smiths Singles Box - Rhino.co.uk

Rhino UK are proud to present “Singles Box”: a clamshell card box containing the first ten UK-issued singles in their original picture sleeves. What makes this particularly special is the two singles which are exclusive to this box set: These unique inclusions are the projected fourth single - “Still Ill” (which was pressed only as DJ promo “A” label) but was ultimately passed over and replaced by “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” along side the Dutch release of “The Headmaster Ritual” housed in it’s black & white “cowboy” sleeve – the rarest commercially issued Smiths’ single in any territory.

The box is completed with four contemporary badges, a poster featuring the single artworks as well as an authentication certificate that contains a unique redemption code for mp3 downloads of the tracks.

An absolute must have item for Smiths‘ fans, and limited to 10,000 copies only. All singles utilise the original production masters from the period.

The front cover image of the box was personally chosen by Morrissey. It features Joel Fabiani from the 1969 TV series "Department S", starring Peter Wyndgarde, Joel Fabiani and Rosemary Nicols.

Out now and available at Virgin Megastores.

---
Guillaume Metayer writes:
You can purchase your tix here:

Morrissey - fnacspectacles.com
An anonymous person sends the link:

Johnny Marr: 'Smiths Reunion Rumours Are Tiresome' - Gigwise
It won't happen...
by Jason Gregory
Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has admitted he finds the constant speculation over whether the band will reform “tiresome”.
Tabloid reports last week claimed that the group, who split in 1987, were to embark on a series of live shows in 2009.

But the guitarist said in a statement yesterday (December 16th) that the rumours were “as usual untrue”.

In an interview with BBC 6Music, Marrr reaffirmed his statement but also admitted that he could understand the speculation “to an extent”.

"It gets a bit tiresome really, especially when you’re doing new stuff and you are working hard on new stuff that you think is great,” he said.

"I have to say, it is a very British phenomena. I’m proud of coming from here but you don’t get it anywhere else."

He added: "I can understand it to an extent but not the way it is now when it becomes the predominant news story for a week, when there’s all this other stuff going on in the world and for other bands and that.

"I’m still very proud of the band and really, really pleased that people still really care, but what are they caring about? Is it the music or the event, or the phenomena of the reunion thing?"

A reformation of the band's original line up would mark the first time singer Morrissey, Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce have performed together since their split.
Torr sends the link:

Book Notes - David Yoo ("Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before") - largehearted boy

In his own words, here is David Yoo's Book Notes essay for his novel, Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before:

“That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” – The Smiths

Despite the fact that the title of my novel is a re-phrasing/bastardizing of another Smiths song, this is the one that I listened to a dozen times as I wrote the part in the novel where Albert, having just lost Mia, gets slightly depressed and goes a little crazy.

I also gave repeated listens to the even more heartbreaking “Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me,” although I usually skip past the long instrumental intro, because it sounds like the Hell portrayed in the movie Event Horizon and I get tempted to poke my eyes out with a highlighter or something.
Today's News | December 18 | December 16  >

[ home | terms of service ]