posted by davidt on Friday March 14 2008, @01:00PM
Link posted by Jukebox Jury posted in the forums (original post):

Holding Court with Morrissey - MEN

MANC icon Morrissey has annointed the city's new rock 'n' roll legends-in-the-making, The Courteeners.

Smiths legend Moz turned up at the Middleton band's Camden Barfly gig at the weekend - and then headed to their dressing room afterwards to heap praise on the lads.

My mole tells me: "Morrissey stayed for the whole of the gig then went backstage to chat with the band, and to tell them how fantastic he thought they were."

And it's definitely a mutual love affair. The band even name-checked Morrissey in their single, What Took You So Long.

Meanwhile, I hear the band are planning to head home for a spectacular launch of their eagerly-awaited debut album, St Jude.

They'll perform a free midnight gig at HMV on Market Street on Sunday, April 6 and then remain in store to meet fans and sign copies of the album.

---
ChasingMoz writes:
From NME.com

Sparks announce new album tracklisting

Duo gear up for 21-night residency with new record

Sparks have announced the track listing for their new album.

'Exotic Creatures Of The Deep' is out on May 19.

The tracklisting is:

'Intro'
'Good Morning'
'Strange Animal'
'I Can’t Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song'
'Let The Monkey Drive'
'Intro Reprise'
'I've Never Been High'
'(She Got Me) Pregnant'
'Lighten Up, Morrissey'
'This Is The Renaissance'
'The Director Never Yelled Cut'
'Photoshop'
'Likeable'

Meanwhile Sparks will play 21 gigs in London, playing a different album each night between May 16 – June 13.
Thetexasbloke (William Davis) writes:
Morrissey's 'Suedehead' is on the new 61 track NME collection of classic songs of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The CD collection is called 'NME CLASSICS: 61 classic tracks from the history of NME.' The first cd is a collection of songs from the 70's, the second the 80's, and the third cd the 90's. There are no Smiths songs on the CD and for some reason 'Suedehead' is the first track on the 90's cd. Still, it looks like a good collection of songs. Other bands in the collection are New Order, Cure, REM, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead, and many more. The CD set can be ordered on the NME web site.
Marco writes:
There's a rumour going about Morrissey coming to Brazil in a blog that usually is right about shows.
According to the blog a Morrissey show was offered to a big gig production enterprise in Brasil. Accordind to the blog the Ringleader tour was sold to DC Argentina. This is the same enterprise that broght Morrissey in 2000 and 2004 in Chile and Argentina. But what makes it suspicious is saying that this show would be part of the Ringleader Tour...
http://wwww.popload.com.br
Jukebox Jury writes:
One of the leading landmarks of ''Morrissey's Manchester'', the mosaic on the side of Afflecks Palace on Tib Street, has been removed along with all the other mosaics on the side of the building.
They were there Saturday afternoon, but no idea why they have been taken down.
Morrissey features at the front of the mosaic with Bez from Happy Mondays to the right, and moving upwards is Tony Wilson, Liam Gallagher and Barney from New Order / Joy Division. Top left is Ian Curtis, then downwards is Noel Gallagher, Frederich Engels (co wrote the Communist Manifesto with Karl Marx after living in Manchester and Salford). Behind Morrissey in the middle is former Manchester City, united and Scotland footballer Denis Law.

---
Update: 03/16 07:16 GMT:
Jukebox Jury writes:
This piece was in Saturday's Manchester Evening News, it explains why the mosaics have been taken down but not what is going to become of them.

New plans for Afflecks
Today's News | March 15 | March 13  >

[ home | terms of service ]