posted by davidt on Monday March 10 2008, @11:00AM
Mad Mickey writes:
I was down the Camden Barfly on Friday night and Moz showed up about 15 minutes before the band I'd gone to see - The Courteeners - came on stage. He stayed for the whole gig and was really getting into it.

I saw one of the band at the bar afterwards and they said Moz had come down to the dressing room and he had told them that he thought they were great.

Like Moz, The Courteeners are from Manchester and are set to be massive this year. Have a listen here www.myspace.com/thecourteeners
---
Torr writes:
The Courteeners are from Manchester and they have a song which mentions Morrissey.

Morrissey goes gigging with The Courteeners – Daily Ligger - NME.com

Morrissey went to check out The Courteeners at the Camden Barfly on Friday night (March 7), and held court with the band after their show. Apparently he had travelled to London especially to see them and loved the show.
---
Fran sends the link:

Hawksley Workman Appreciates Morrissey's Fat Stomach

Friday March 07, 2008 @ 05:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

At the ripe old age of 33, Hawksley Workman is beginning to feel just a little over the hill for popular music.

"I don't want to sound old, but when the voice of American pop music is coming out of teenaged mouths, I can't help but feel very... separate from that," he says. "I think the other thing, too, everybody says that everybody made their best record when they were 24, you know what I mean? There's this sense that you're past your prime. I don't like that. That sucks."

But while it's unlikely that Canada's favourite cabaret pop stylist will ever compete with the Hannah Montanas or even the Justin Timberlakes of the world, Workman has hope for the future thanks to the likes of Bruce Cockburn, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen.

"Bruce is in his fifties, Neil's in his sixties and Cohen's in his seventies," Workman elaborates. "And I was like, 'These guys are still poignant, they're still sexy, they're still cool, they still are hip.'

"And this, for me, speaks... not because I think like an 80 year old, but it speaks to me because when pop culture is parading around the 16 year old of the moment on TV — and this is who I'm competing against, this is who I share airtime with in my business — and I think I don't have a hope. I'll never be that beautiful anymore and I'll never be all these things anymore. I'll never look as vital when the camera's rolling in front of a fancy car, or whatever. But it's nice to feel like there's relevance in moving forward."

The singer also finds comfort in watching rock stars grow older. Far from being horrified that they no longer look like their 20-something selves, he revels in the growth of a waistline and a shrinking hairline.

"Rock 'n' roll has always been a youth industry, but it's been fractured and reassembled in a more saccharine way now than it ever was, I think — which is too bad. I like seeing people age. I'm really starting to enjoy it. I like seeing Morrissey with a gut and, when he takes his shirt off, his gut's hanging out. And I'm like, 'Yeah, all right. Morrissey's got a gut!' This feels good to me. Peter Murphy's losing his hair. That feels good to me. Robert Smith is twice the size he used to be. I like all this. It feels like the permission to be human."
An anonymous person writes:
As a budding young fashion writer I am laboring to keep up with this season's new designs. I was looking over the press kit for Ms. Chloë's new clothing line at http://www.openingceremony.us/ and noticed that she is still managing to sneak little nods to Morrissey. If you look closely on pages 5 and 27, at the cute little pin-striped blazer, you can just make out a button that bears the image of what looks to be a Bona Drag era Morrissey.
Jacob Borshard writes:
Features a platypus cartoon Morrissey with bare chest.

The Smiffs T-shirt by creebobby - Zazzle.com
Shirt for legendary cartoon make believe band. The band never existed, not in our world. But they were huge on their own Platypus planet. How I miss them. Design by Jacob Borshard.

goinghome writes:
On a blogsite by one ‘Quentin S. Crisp’, a couple of video clips featuring documentary footage of voter preferences for Barak Obama and of a smart debate about the influences on voters has been uploaded, followed by a montage set to Morrissey’s lyric ‘America is not the World’.

A link is also provided to the picture of Morrissey sporting the T-shirt made for him by fan Scarlet Ibis, showing him supporting Obama (and perhaps the other way round?!).
Today's News | March 11 | March 9  >

[ home | terms of service ]