posted by davidt on Saturday March 01 2008, @02:00PM
Uncleskinny writes:
Link to the forum post by Jukebox Jury:

Morrissey Is In Saudi Arabia!!

forum member "lucky lisp" took the photo at Manchester Airport. There's a note that he was travelling to Saudi Arabia.

goinghome writes:
It was Uncle Skinny/Peter who set me on the trail of the current edition, released today, of Hot Press, Irish music magazine, by his mention of a rumoured review on the forums of Morrissey’s Greatest Hits album therein. I hardly dare compete with Peter’s revered scanner, but needs must!

This exuberant almost surreal ode of righteous (and gloriously riotous) appreciation take up about half of page 95, and features both the picture on the album cover, plus a merge into that of Morrissey eating ice-cream as on the single sleeve for ‘In the Future when All’s Well’, with ‘Modern Life is War’ scrawled on the wall behind him.

The headline is ‘Mozza Superior’ – Morrissey, Greatest Hits, Universal: Ten/Ten.

- Have a little respect. This is Morrissey. He’s a musical institution and I’m damned if I’m going to give him less than ten out of ten. He’s a true blue hero and you’re getting no fancy liberal revisionism from me. The freedoms we enjoy today are because of the likes of Morrissey – that golden generation who fermented indie music in a big vat of Thatcherism, post-punk and cardigans. He fought in the indie wars of the late ‘80s so that we could sit around listening to Interpol and reading Naomi Klein and going to art school and having ridiculous haircuts, all without a care in the world. Today’s indie music stars are insects dwarfed by the man’s musical vision.

Some things Morrissey did:
He designed the electric guitar.
He saved the Queen’s life and then had a cup of Earl Grey with her and the corgis.
He invented toast.
He invented ‘Englishness’.

A more disrespectful reviewer might point out that this album is skewed heavily towards his (patchy) later career, that maybe there could have been more from ‘Vauxhall And I’ (his best solo album, released around the time he discovered stem cells in the mid ‘90s) and that live albums are easy (there’s a free live CD).
But that reviewer has forgotten that if it wasn’t for Morrissey, Thatcher would still be in power and he’d have nothing to listen to except the Band Aid single. And this record features evidence of his Mozjesty’s greatness – gems like ‘First Of The Gang To Die’, Every Day Is Like Sunday’ and The More You Ignore Me’. And the two new songs (‘That’s How People Grow Up’ and ‘All You Need Is Me’) may not be classics but by the standards of some of today’s young whippersnappers they’re bloody good.
So, have a little respect.
PATRICK FREYNE -
Smiths sends the link/excerpt:

Difficult Breakups and The Smiths - Stuff White People Like

'Once breakup proceedings have been initiated, a white person is immediately thrust into the center of attention in their circle of friends. During this time, they are permitted to talk at great lengths about themselves, listen to The Smiths, and get free dinners from friends who think “they shouldn’t be alone right now.”'
El Manzo writes:
A Decca promo card to promote Morrissey's latest 'Greatest Hits', can be found in major italian record stores.
Scans:

luckgal writes:
Frieze, an arts magazine, in March copy includes a bit of 'Morrissey arcana' in the review of Devine and Griffiths CD 'Wheels to Get to Heaven'.
Don't think the review is online, but its in Borders. I can't scan it becoz I didn't buy it - nearly six pounds.
goinghome writes:
Journalist Paul Linford has a blog where he’s recently been pondering on the music that most evokes Englishness. His list, posted on 15th February, includes "William It was Really Nothing" by The Smiths.

The quintessence of Englishness
stephen wright writes:
Sound & Vision 2008

a print of the Salford Lads club photo raised £430 and the promise to recreate the original photo for a bidder with their friends £1500 at last nights music image and memorabilia auction in aid of cancer research held at The famous Abbey Road studios.
---
Update: 03/02 17:06 GMT:
stephen wright writes:
TEXT FROM THE PROGRAMMME

The story of the image

“A sweeter set of photos were never taken”
  MORRISSEY - Boxing day 1985

This image was taken with my first Nikon, as a Smiths fan and novice photographer. The film was processed in chemicals kept in old lemonade bottles in a darkroom built into my bedroom and its both warming and funny that 20 years later it’s known all over the world.

I am still so pleased that I got given this opportunity when really it was a job that should have gone to someone like Anton Corbijn, Pennie Smith or Annie Liebovitz.

It’s part of the National Portrait Collection and there’s a large print in the Manchester Art Gallery which sits in a pool of light recapturing the finest band of an era at their peak- I’ve sat on a little bench next to it peering at it and smiled a little as when I turn my head I see a Lowry further down the wall.

When I look at the photo now, I remember fondly seeing the Smiths play live –the elegance, excitement and the irony; all set to the perfect jangle of Marr’s guitar.

The image itself is strangely casual and natural - Morrissey’s smirk is a little like the Mona Lisa’s and Andy Rourke looks as if he has a small rabbit stuffed down his jeans. It was shot on a dark winter day in Salford – no make up artists or assistants, yet I’m pleased to hear people like it still. Perhaps it’s always the music of our youth that gives us the warmth of nostalgia.

These donations are in memory of my father, Colin Wright
Today's News | March 2 | February 29  >

[ home | terms of service ]