posted by davidt on Friday June 22 2007, @10:00AM
Forget Blair: Morrissey's the man to heal Middle East - The Independent / Pandora
By Oliver Duff
Published: 22 June 2007

* Might we finally have found an envoy to soothe the troublesome types in Iran?

Excerpt:

The singer Morrissey last year contended that Bush and Blair's invasion of Iraq was "worse than terrorism... the action of egotistical monsters". Now, he reveals, he hopes to play a concert in Iran later this year.

The former Smiths frontman commented: "There are some great touring offers: New Zealand, South Africa, my beloved Scandinavia, Israel and Iran. I would love to sing in Tehran."

His spokesman, the improbably-monikered Mr Merck Mercuriadis, tells Pandora that Morrissey is "currently reviewing offers we've had - one of them is from Iran".

He added: "We're talking to the Foreign Office about travel guidelines."

It is unclear what kind of fanbase Morrissey believes exists in the Persian Gulf. Damien Hirst has led a "Britart diplomatic mission" to Iran but a pop concert would be far more problematic.

"It is likely that dancing would not be allowed," one Iranian tells me. (Dancing? Have you been to a Morrissey gig?) "And all of his song lyrics would need to be heavily vetted before he's granted permission. It would be very strictly controlled. Maybe he doesn't realise that because I can't see them being very promising conditions for a Western artist."

Mercuriadis comments: "I'm not aware of any censorship or anything like that but we're still at an early stage in planning. I'll let you know when it's confirmed."
Tom Stroud writes:
UK trade magazine Music Week has this story tonight on its (subscriber only) website, confirming the Warners angle in the recent Q and As. As they point out it would reunite Morrissey with his back catalogue at the same label and may well speed up remasters, box sets, unneccessary compilations etc etc.

Morrissey in talks with Warner Bros
21 June 2007 - 17:19:00

A Warners Bros spokesperson has confirmed the music company is in discussions with Morrissey to release the singer's next solo album.

Morrissey's last solo album, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, was released on Sanctuary imprint Attack. The album was the singer's second for the label, following his 2004 comeback album You Are The Quarry, which bought both critical and commercial success for the former Smiths frontman.

The singer told fansite True-to-you.net, "I presently have the option to tour for the remainder of 2007, or start a new album. I don't have a deal, but I have an offer from Warner Brothers."

A deal with Warner would be notable for bringing him back to the label which currently owns the Smiths backcatalogue.
dbowie writes:
Just listened to BBC radio 2 (Thursday 21st June) The Ken Bruce show (link to stream). He had Nicky Wire from the Manic Street Preachers on discussing "the tracks of my years." Had the Smiths song "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" as one of his favourite tracks. He said some lovely things about Morrissey:

"Morrissey had that gift of making you feel less alone or being an outsider, and he still does that to this day, fair play to the boy, he's never stopped and is as good as ever. He's got such a vital brain. We all make mistakes, and we all say stupid things. It's just a sign that he's always thinking and his brain never stops."

You need to fast forward the show 2 hours and 10 minutes into it to get to the interview.
moz paris writes:
Yesterday (20/06), Art Brut was playing live at Le Trabendo in Paris and finished "Emily Kane" singing over and over "There is a light that never goes out".
langworthy writes:
Embracing Many Mediums to Focus on the Message New York Times

"Linder" -exhibition of drawings, photomontages, and video at the P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center, 22-25 Jackson Avenue, at 46th Avenue, Long Island City, Queens through Sept. 24

Art review of the show with a very brief Morrissey mention.

registration required
secret writes:
Those of you who are able to watch German MTV might be interested: There will be an interview with Johnny Marr by Markus Kavka on 27 June (23 p.m) on MTV Rockzone.

See announcement here
Today's News | June 23 | June 21  >

[ home | terms of service ]