posted by davidt on Sunday April 25 2004, @08:00PM
Stan writes:

Today's Sunday Times (UK) includes their CD-ROM 'The Month' which previews six tracks from You Are The Quarry, plus a short review.

The tracks are;

1. Irish Blood, English Heart
2. I Have Forgiven Jesus (clip)
3. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores (clip)
4. The First Of The Gang To Die (clip)
5. Let Me Kiss You (clip)
6. I Like You (clip)

Each track plays for 30 seconds.

The review, by Mark Edwards, reads;

'Years without a record deal haven't dented Morrissey's ego; there's a song on here called I Have Forgiven Jesus, though Jesus has so far declined to state his position on Morrissey. And years spent in sunny California haven't dented Morrissey's love for the old country, as we discover in the epic 1960's pop of Come Back To Camden, "where taxi drivers never stop talking". It has become routine to compare new Morrissey records unfavourably with his earlier classics, but only the most reactionary Smiths' fan would quibble with the likes of The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores, in which Morrissey appears to be indulging in a diatribe against modern culture before dropping his shoulder and swerving neatly into a love song. Equally brilliant is How Could Anybody Possibly Know I Feel, which includes the line "Even I, as sick as I am, would never be with you." surely the definitive Morrissey lyric."

The CD also contains a number of promo photos which seem to be the same shoot as the IBEH sleeve.

I'd give you my opinions of the tracks but that's not really for the news section. However, I will say that The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores is FAR slower that the live recordings. Everything sounds wonderful.

---
nonesoever writes:

Six 30 second clips are featured on the CD, as Bluenose wrote here.

Download links (above) thanks to Girl Unafraid.
Morrisseyfan2002 writes:

I just found out through 1iota.com events that Morrissey will be performing on Pepsi Smash May 25th along with Alanis Morissette and 3 other acts.
---
Excerpt:

Be a part of PEPSI SMASH 2004! We are looking for 800 fans to be a part of history.

SMASH will feature five acts per episode. Four of the acts will be hit artists with instant name recognition and the fifth artist will be an act just about to break to a mass audience.

5/25/2004 PERFORMERS:

ALANIS MORRISETTE ---- MAROON 5 ---- JOSS STONE

MORRISSEY ---- TBD
Scan posted by Benton on the discussion board.

Quiffs 'n ' riffs

MORRISSEY - You Are The Quarry (Attack)
3 out of 5 stars

Rhodri Marsden asks what the great bard can say to him about his life
---
John, England also writes:

The Observer have given YATQ 3/5 and given it third place in the best albums of the month list.

Generally, it's pretty positive about the music but complains about the lyrics a fair amount. Here are a few quotes:
-'America' is an anthemic opening.

-throughout the record he returns to choruses structured for stadiums, built for bellowing along to, recalling the kind of fervour that There is a Light inspired nearly 20 years ago

-it's sometimes overbearing so it's two of the unassuming tunes that end up standing out from the pack: Camden which waltzes gently into key changes that could melt the hearts of the goths in the Electric Ballroom, and I'm Not Sorry, a stunningly laid-back two-chorder with a tasteful flute outro that makes you wonder whether the pomp and circumstance (elsewhere) is really necessary.

The final paragraph says...
-Well Moz, until you start addressing the pitfalls of endowment mortgages, you're saying nothing to me about my life. But I'm still perfectly happy to sing along.
Manchester Neil writes:

As reported on youarethequarry.net, the Irish Blood, English Heart video will be shown on Popworld on C4 on Sunday at 9.30a.m. This is the first showing on British terrestrial television. The news item states that the video is directed by Roman Coppolla- anyone know any other videos he's directed???
---
russ.vicki writes:

IBEH finally aired on British TV on the awful Popworld TV show. My family and I sat through almost an hour of pathetic suggestive trash before they aired the Moz. They aired it as a World exclusive which was a joke, when they finally showed it they showed half of it! If anyone else put themselves through the torture of this programme only to be let down i suggest they complain to channel 4 as i have this is NOT good enough the man deserves respect not half a vid.
---
DanielGaunt writes:

The first airing of the "Irish Blood, English Heart" video was shown on C4’s Popword amid an array of piss taking from the two presenters of the show. Sarcastic quotes like “Morrissey, what a laugh” and “Morrissey…hmmmm” spring to mind. The video was shown but cut to a small almost unnoticeable screen for the last 30 seconds or so as the credits were rolled at the side instead.
sid_sideburn:

From sources at Sanctuary Records I received these two new press photos, which I believe have not been published before:

Medium size (800x1202, 135K), Large size (1352x2032, 550K)

Medium size (800x1202, 93K), Large size (1352x2032, 435K)

Update: 04/26 15:09 GMT: Curt Woyte writes:

NME confirms Lazarus' earlier story on the DVD re-issue of Hulmerist and Malady. Link: http://www.nme.com/news/108304.htm
---
lazarus writes:

...i'm a record store manager & i get upcoming releases lists from BERTUS, which is the major dutch importer for the benelux. in the latest list, i've seen morrissey's humerist & malady lingers on DVD

this means those are gonna be released (at least) over europe soon
no fake
Today's News | April 26 | April 24  >

[ home | terms of service ]