posted by davidt on Thursday April 15 2004, @10:00AM
Torr writes:

Looks like you can see the final version of the YATQ cover art at
Sanctuary - Morrissey news.
(Update: 04/16 15:15 GMT: Larger image at Amazon, link also from Torr.)

Also from Torr, "audio coming to official site 'this week'" and the video 'very soon' according to Sanctuary.
Bryan writes:

As per Webuser dated 15-28 April

Available Mon 26th April for Free

www.video-c.co.uk

Hard to Believe, but it's been seven long years since we last heard from Morrissey. The ex-smiths front man, now based in Los Angeles has been without a record deal since 1997's Maladjusted. But if the anthemic rock of Irish Blood English Heart is anything to go by, time away has not blunted his ascerbic wit. This is taken from his forthcoming album You are the Quarry, out 17th May.
From Spin publicity, a scan of the May 2004 cover. The issue technically hits newsstands on April 27th but will likely hit the streets sometime next week.

Click to enlarge

John, England writes:

This review put on Channel 4 (UK) Teletext earlier today. I've just transcribed it from the telly so apologies for any typos!

Sexual ambiguity, America’s role as a superpower, a hymn to Camden, fatally flawed gangsters called Hector, a song called All The Lazy Dykes…
Morrissey’s back, then… After falling out of fashion in the Britpop years, the return of Morrissey for his first album since 1997 couldn’t be better timed. But is You Are The Quarry a new Meat is Murder? Or another Maladjusted?
We present our guide to an album that should cement a triumphant comeback…
Stefan writes:

After Sold Out dates in the US and Manchester it is unlikely that Morrissey will add a major tour this summer, apart from the festivals he will play / conduct / headline.

But the following news - though vague - from Sanctuary came just in:

"Die derzeitige Situation läßt vermuten, daß es jetzt im Frühsommer kein Deutschland Konzert geben wird, aber daß der Meister im OKTOBER auf ausgedehnte Europatournee gehen wird"

translation [S.K.] "The current situation leads to the presumption, that there will be no concert in Germany in early summer, but that the Master will do an extensive European Tour in OCTOBER").
Speedway writes:

Just read this in the Manchester Evening News:

Smith's Frontman in Frame if Manchester is Re-branded

Welcome to Manchester Morrissey Airport. it may seem like a flight of fancy, but the idea of a new name for the city's airport could yet take off.

The morose singer-songwriter of 1980s group The Smiths is just one - and perhaps more unlikely of a long list of Great Mancunians who could lend a little kudos and glamour to the two runways and three terminals.

Liverpool's Speke Airport named itself after John Lennon and saw its profile suddenly raised internationally and its passenger numbers rise dramatically.

Bosses at manchester Airport are keeping an eye on developments and admitted a name change could not be ruled out.

At the end of the article the paper asks who do you think the airport should be named after and invites suggestions to be sent to www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news
half a torchbearer writes:

Indie songstress Rose Polenzani reminisces over an old Morrissey concert on the front page of her website. As if that weren't enough, there is also a small self-portrait in the upper lefthand corner of the mailing list page that is clearly another "bona-fide" nod to Morrissey himself.
---
Excerpt:

At one point he sang a Bach Prelude and asked the audience to sing the 'Ave Maria' over it - I had barely paused to gasp "the whole Ave Maria!?!" when I started singing it, and I realized I still know the whole thing. Then I remembered that I had gone to a Morrissey concert once where the 'Ave Maria' was the outro music, and it had floated over the maudlin crowd as we shuffled and funnelled out of the theater. I read into everything then, and I figured the 'Ave' must have been specifically chosen by Moz himself (now I don't feel sure whose choice it was, but it gave me the idea of planning the house music, which I do every once in a while). Of course I went and bought a copy of it, and I listened to it every day for a month at least. I think I may have sung it for a high school voice recital as well.

Dan MacIntosh writes:

I found this on Billboard.com (link). It seems that The Killers are big Smith/Morrissey fans.

"Vocalist Brandon Flowers tells Billboard.com the presence of the ex-Smiths singer is especially tantalizing. "We were iffy about it before, but now we're kind of push[ing] for it," he says. "That was my main deal when I was younger... I just listened to a lot of Morrissey. [I] got into [David] Bowie and the Beatles and stuff later.""
[site sponsor]

mute witness writes:

The World Will Listen - A Morrissey Tribute Night
Saturday 8th May
'Twieoo' Ghent (Belgium)
10 PM

DJ Alf will be spinning Morrissey/Smiths tunes with tracks from 'You are the Quarry' & all your favourite Britpop and Moz-related bands.

check www.theworldwilllisten.tk for more details (where to stay, carpool forum etc.).
Today's News | April 16 | April 14  >

[ home | terms of service ]