posted by davidt on Sunday April 11 2004, @10:00AM
Steven Pottle writes:

just wanted to say that the new issue of I D magazine is out, with Morrissey interview and the most beautiful black and white photographs...
---
This interview is listed in the previously mentioned press release.
Natalie writes:

The first date of Lollapalooza ( July 14 at Seattle's White River Amphitheatre) has been confirmed in this MTV News article:
Lollapalooza's Farrell Explains His Taste For String Cheese - Apr. 9, 2004
Vivienne, the Venus de Mile End writes:

The lovely American actress Julia Stiles appeared on tonight's edition of Jonathan Ross, a late-night chat show on British telly which Moz himself is scheduled to appear on next month.

At the end of her interview she asked if Jonathan's in-studio gay vocal quartet, Four Poofs and A Piano, would take a request. She asked for Bigmouth Strikes Again, but the flummoxed foursome launched falteringly into This Charming Man.

Jonathan asked her if she was a big Smiths fan and she was very enthusiastic. She said she loved Morrissey and seemed especially excited when Jonathan revealed he would be appearing on the show next month to both chat and perform a couple of songs. Julia asked if she could come back and be in the audience, and Wozzer suggested that Stiles pull a sickie from her West End stage show, David Mamet's Oleanna, which she is currently here in London for.

So if I am successful in securing my tickets for that evening then Moz will have at least two appreciative females there in the audience.

---
Tinderstruck also writes:

Julia Stiles was being interviewed on the Jonathan Ross show (UK BBC 1) tonight (Friday 9th April). I was pleasantly surprised when at the end of the interview she requested a Smiths song from the "4 puffs and a piano", suggesting "Bigmouth Strikes Again". They played a little of "This Charming Man" before Jonathan mentioned that Morrissey himself would be on the show in a few weeks (as mentioned on here!) Julia mentioned she was a huge fan and Jonathan said something like "that's very good". Her co-star in "Mona Lisa Smile" Kirsten Dunst was once photographed wearing a Smiths tshirt wasn't she?
---
Kirsten Dunst photo is in this article: Kirsten Dunst in Smiths shirt (Les Inrockuptibles photo) - June 13, 2002. Morrissey to appear on the Jonathan Ross show May 14, according to the press release.
Vivienne, the Venus de Mile End writes:

Yet another track-by-track preview of the album has appeared in the latest issue of Word magazine in the UK (Issue 15, May 2004 - scan from GreatGael).

It was written by Andy Earl and here is the transcript:
LoafingOaf writes:

As mentioned in the Guardian, Morrissey has gotten the NY Dolls to reunite for Meltdown. The Boston Globe has further details today.

Singer David Johansen will be joined by guitarist Sylvain Sylvain, bassist Arhtur Kane, and, replacing Johnny Thunders, Guns N; Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin. The reunion might continue after Meltdown.

Excerpt from the Boston Globe:

New York Dolls reunite at Morrissey's request - 4/9/2004

In a season of unlikely musical reunions, add another seemingly inexplicable entry to the list: Those punk pioneers the New York Dolls have made plans to reconvene.

The group, which in the early- to mid-1970s combined glam looks with proto-punk attack, has accepted an invitation to perform in June at London's "Meltdown" festival after an invitation from the event's artistic director for this year, legendary British singer Morrissey.

"He called and said that he was the president of his local New York Dolls fan club as a kid," said Darren Hill of Ten Pin Management, who, in his role as singer David Johansen's manager, brought the band's surviving members together.
Stan Cooke writes:

There is a picture of Fred Durst in todays edition (Apr. 10, 2004) of The Sun sporting a Hatful of Hollow T-Shirt to the Premiere of Kill Bill Volume 2.

Hardly the type of bloke you would expect or particularly want to be associated with The Smiths, it shows once again that the stock of Morrissey et al is higher than than it's been for years.

I wonder now if the many throngs of teenage delinquents in every town sporting their Limp Bizkit hoodies will follow their idols lead and stick a gladioli or two in their back pockets in an attempt to be cool...

---
Update: 04/11 19:47 GMT by D: Image posted by Guy LeFluer on the discussion board (link). The original image is from the Apr. 9 front page of Productshop NYC (excerpt):

Being a Smiths fan will never mean the same thing to me now that Fred Durst had to go and where one of their shirts to the premiere of Kill Bill: Volume 2. This is almost as bad as his Kurt Cobain tattoo. Doesn't he know he's just being disrepectful? Hasn't his momma ever taught him some manners? Leave good bands alone and go where a Flickerstick t-shirt or something. Ugh. What an asshole. My entire day is shot now. I can't think straight........

Torr writes:

Early Adopter Alternative Rock - Amazon.com
These are the newest and coolest products our customers of Alternative Rock are buying. This list, updated daily, is based entirely on purchase patterns.

You Are The Quarry (Gatefold w/ DVD)
Price: $21.98 Not yet released
Cut Down to My Knees writes:

From 'San Francisco Bay Guardian'

SAINT ELSEWHERE

A pair of books track the strange journey of the Smiths' lead singer
By Brian Pera
Today's News | April 12 | April 10  >

[ home | terms of service ]