posted by davidt on Friday June 08 2007, @11:00AM
Uncleskinny writes:
Phill Gatenby's new book "Panic on the Streets: The Smiths and Morrissey Location Guide" is out now. It concentrates more on Morrissey's locations (in addition to the earlier Smiths book), and has a lot of information on locations in and around London - references from influences, videos, songs, lyrics, photoshoots and many more.

info at Amazon

More info on the book by the author posted in the forums.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I have a book for sale on my site which is similar to this.

I also have lots of other items for sale including HTF cd single's , CD Album's , Clothing etc etc.

Sincerely

www.simplysmiths.ecrater.com
    simply smiths -- Friday June 08 2007, @11:31AM (#262406)
    (User #18935 Info | http://simplysmiths.ecrater.com/)
  • Are people so damn stupid that they need this book to find some place to go? Now I've seen everything. Does it list where the band goes to piss and shite?
    Anonymous -- Friday June 08 2007, @01:19PM (#262438)
  • Or, indeed, does this book list the location of the "gentlemen's convenience" in Manchester city centre where Swallowneck once gave oral relief to a male Smiths fan wearing an Oscar Wilde t-shirt?
    MarkFromScatter -- Friday June 08 2007, @03:36PM (#262459)
    (User #16900 Info)
    If you don't like me, don't look at me...
  • how many versions of the same book can one man create?

oi, gatenby, no!
    Anonymous -- Friday June 08 2007, @04:38PM (#262478)
  • I think this makes a perfect companion piece to the earlier "Morrissey's Manchester", and I applaud the author's hard work and diligence in compiling this book.
    People on this site may well scoff, but there are thousands of Morrissey fans who never venture anywhere near this place, and who will, no doubt, be unfamiliar with many of the locations in this book, unlike the more feverish among those who visit here every hour on the hour.
    I would like to congratulate Phill Gatenby on another fine piece of work, which I look forward to reading enormously.
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 09 2007, @04:04AM (#262574)
  • Having just read the author interview on the website mentioned on Forum I won't be buying this.

I was born in the North but have lived in London over 10 years, and seen every London Morrissey gig in that time, and I cannot stand that pathetic anti-London attitude some Northerners still have. "Finding a pint under £3" etc. Well maybe the reason London charges over £3 for a pint is to keep out stingey bores like this country bumpkin. Same goes for the £25 a night doss house and being stupid enough to admit he has no clue how to use the transport system. If he's being "funny"? Well - maybe that joke isn't funny anymore.

This stinks of cash in - OK, the Manchester one makes sense but anybody who only comes to London just because Morrissey once mentioned a particular street or shot a video or lived in a particular flat is a bloody idiot. It's an expensive city but a great city and it doesn't need clueless bumpkins like this guy to spend a few nights in a flee-infested doss house then running back up north and writing a guide book for a fast buck.
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 09 2007, @07:44AM (#262597)
  • I spent quite a lump of my life in & around Manchester, I knew how to get to a lot of the Morrissey sites BUT Phill's guide made it all so much simpler. Now he's done the London section then I'm even happier because I've never lived in or around London & since I consider myself a fan I actually find it interesting to read up on the background settings to Morrisseys songs even if I'll never actually visit all of them.
    I still have a copy of Morrissey's Manchester in the glove compartment of my car, I live in Edinburgh, the only reason I'll remove it is to replace it with Panic on the streets.
    Let's stop the jealousy & be thankful there's people out there who are prepared to get off their arses & do something positive for us all!

love

Grim
    P.s. Phill is the cheque in the post?
    Grim O'Grady -- Saturday June 09 2007, @03:26PM (#262691)
    (User #6996 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]