"World Peace..." review by Marc Hogan - Pitchfork

The_Hound_Rains_of_Castamere.jpg

The good reviews are all fairly valid, as are the bad ones. I think the New York Times summed up the contradiction quite nicely: "[WPINOYB] is not a good record, but, on the other hand, it is almost a perfect one."

Morrissey continues to be obstreperous, and his personality continues to attract and repel in equal measure. The indisputable fact (acknowledged by admirers and detractors alike) is that he also continues to be an astonishing singer.

I'm still waiting for the formal release to really dig into the album (and the additional tracks) at full volume while heading down the highway (my favorite way to listen to music these days). From what I've heard so far, Morrissey has managed to sum himself up boldly and beautifully with this one.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see the humor here? The (scant) core of the article is a complaint about how Morrissey isn't the charming joker he was 30 years ago.... When the lead single... off the album.... indicts this precise line of thinking.... And anyhow, what a surprise -- the media wants a joker instead of a thought provoker.

Does anyone else see the humor here? The (scant) core of the article is a complaint about how Morrissey isn't the charming joker he was 30 years ago.... When the lead single... off the album.... indicts this precise line of thinking.... And anyhow, what a surprise -- the media wants a joker instead of a thought provoker.

What's thought provoking about the song 'World Peace Is None of Your Business', beyond making one wonder what they did with the Morrissey who used to write great lyrics? It's attitudes are so lumpen and simplistic, they'd be laughed out of any English lit class. I mean, if you can read these without chewing your knuckles......

World peace is none of your business
You must not tamper with arrangements
Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes
Never asking what for
Oh, you poor little fool- oh, you fool

Police will stun you with their stun guns
Or they'll disable you with tasers
That's what government's for

So would you kindly keep your nose out
The rich must profit and get richer
And the poor must stay poor

Each time you vote you support the process
Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain
No more, you poor little fool
No more, you fool

What's thought provoking about the song 'World Peace Is None of Your Business', beyond making one wonder what they did with the Morrissey who used to write great lyrics? It's attitudes are so lumpen and simplistic, they'd be laughed out of any English lit class. I mean, if you can read these without chewing your knuckles......

Never asking what for

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain
No more, you fool

Do you have a life? We get it- you hate the album, you're angry morrissey isn't 35 anymore, etc, etc. you've made your opinions known, so MOVE ON! Get a hobby!

Do you have a life? We get it- you hate the album, you're angry morrissey isn't 35 anymore, etc, etc. you've made your opinions known, so MOVE ON! Get a hobby!

Yes I have a life. Thanks for asking though.

I'm at work, so this is quite a nice diversion, but again thanks for suggesting I get a hobby. Nice of you to be concerned about my use of spare time.

In terms of the question I asked, perhaps you'd like to address it? What is thought provoking about the song 'World Peace...'?

Never asking what for

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain
No more, you fool
These are song lyrics not poetry.
Most sensible people will judge the song when they hear it (I have not as yet).
Just to let you know, song lyrics don't necessarily read that well on their own.

These are song lyrics not poetry.
Most sensible people will judge the song when they hear it (I have not as yet).
Just to let you know, song lyrics don't necessarily read that well on their own.

Well, the words are the same in the song, so I hear them as I read them. I am sensible and I have heard the song and it's pants. Morrissey's delivery of the words is as single entendre as they appear here on the screen. As for the music, the 'tune', for what its worth, wouldn't silence rockets over the West Bank either.

The comedy didgeridoo is perfectly timed for Rolf's shaming though, I will concede....

Last edited:
Well, the words are the same in the song, so I hear them as I read them. Morrissey's delivery of them is as single entendre as they appear. As for the music, the 'tune', for what its worth, wouldn't silence rockets over the West Bank either. The comedy didgeridoo is perfectly timed for Rolf's shaming though, I will concede....
What a strange post.
I have no idea what you mean.
Must a song have a huge political impact to be any good?
Are you sure you're not 14?

What a strange post.
I have no idea what you mean.
Must a song have a huge political impact to be any good?
Are you sure you're not 14?

You have no idea what I mean? I mean the song is rubbish. Is that clear enough?

Should it have a huge political impact? No, of course not, don't be silly. Should it have an impact on the mind of the listener who hears it, leading the album as it does? Yes. It doesn't - at least on me, beyond making me shake my head in sadness.

Am I sure I'm not 14? What a strange question. See, we can both do it!

Should it have a huge political impact? No, of course not, don't be silly. Should it have an impact on the mind of the listener who hears it, leading the album as it does? Yes. It doesn't - at least on me, beyond making me shake my head in sadness.

OK, yes you are 14 or under.
Let me help you with your education;
Nothing matters except that it is a good song.
Trite, dull lyrics don't matter if it is a good song.
Stop worrying about everything. If you like song then enjoy yourself.
If not, then move on.
(Ahh youth, so earnest!)

OK, yes you are 14 or under.
Let me help you with your education;
Nothing matters except that it is a good song.
Trite, dull lyrics don't matter if it is a good song.
Stop worrying about everything. If you like song then enjoy yourself.
If not, then move on.
(Ahh youth, so earnest!)

B for effort, D for execution.

So, it has come to this? That 'trite, dull lyrics don't matter if it is a good song'?

Last edited:
B for effort, D for execution.

Again, I ask the question: what is thought provoking about the song 'World Peace....'?
Gosh, I'll make it clearer.
Who gives a f*** about 'thought provoking' (unless you're 14).
I want good songs.
Would you prefer thoughful lyrics and dull songs? (may I suggest Manic Street Preachers?)

Gosh, I'll make it clearer.
Who gives a f*** about 'thought provoking' (unless you're 14).
I want good songs.
Would you prefer thoughful lyrics and dull songs? (may I suggest Manic Street Preachers?)

Define 'good songs'. Are you talking about the music as opposed to the lyrics?

Why can't we have both, Peterb? Is it too much for us to ask, do you think? Are our artists not strong enough to marshal their visions any more?

You're so late to the party, you shouldn't have been let in. His writing style changed a long time ago (hadn't you noticed).

Last edited:
Define 'good songs'. Are you talking about the music as opposed to the lyrics?

Why can't we have both, Peterb? Is it too much for us to ask, do you think? Are our artists not strong enough to marshal their visions any more?
OK, I will step back from being a sarcastic tosser.
No Agharta, I disagree.
Why do people want everything to be so meaningful?
We all know Moz is a bit of a twit so why expect oodles of importance and thought provoking lines?
A great song is good enough.
Song lyrics are just sounds and if they fit the song then great!
If you want meaning, read a book (but not Autobiography).

I am actually kind of shocked. This is the lowest review Morrissey has ever gotten from Pitchfork. I mean I was somewhat skeptical when they rated Years of Refusal as a higher album than Vauxhall and I and Your Arsenal, but still.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom