The Stephen Street / Morrissey dsipute

The Seeker of Good Songs

slightly old since it's been on the main page but some additional insights (for those who don't know anyway)

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44571_0_2_0_C

Morrissey has halted the broadcast of an unheard demo tape of him singing. The former Smiths singer called in his lawyers to prevent the BBC from using the clip in a radio show about the English music producer Stephen Street. In a statement Stephen Street says: "Both the BBC and myself received a letter from Morrissey's solicitors threatening an immediate injunction preventing any broadcast unless the material was removed. Apparently their client was 'horrified that the proposed material would be broadcast'."

Street can not understand Morrissey's way of thinking at all: "Throughout the programme I am extremely in full praise of Morrissey and the demo was intended to show that even when he was singing on a four-track cassette he still sounded great! Oh well, some things (or people) never change!" Street co-wrote and produced Morrissey's 1988 debut solo album, "Viva Hate". In the past he has been able airing demos from Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and Phil Collins without any problems.

The reason for the halt should however be found in a dispute from years ago as we will show you after the jump.

Stephen Street, best known for his work with The Smiths in the 1980s, was listed as an engineer on the Smiths' albums "Meat Is Murder" and "The Queen Is Dead". Street was also credited as a producer on the Smiths' final album, "Strangeways, Here We Come". Street has a reputation for producing commercially viable music. As his role became increasingly prominent on the Smiths' studio albums, their sound evolved from the relatively cheap production of their Street-less eponymous debut to the polished sound of Strangeways, "Here We Come".

Street collaborated with Morrissey on some of his most popular work after The Smiths broke up, playing instruments and co-writing songs. Morrissey ended their association apparently because of disputes regarding the royalties and alleged conversations between Street and author of controversial Morrissey texts, Johnny Rogan.

It was not the only dispute Street had with Morrissey and/or musicians involved in a Morrissey album. Street and guitarist on "Viva Hate", Vini Reilly, had a dispute over songwriting credits. Reilly claimed to have written the majority of the tracks on the album, which Street dismissed and claimed that he wrote all of the tracks on the album and Reilly had no part to play in this. Fact is that Street was credited as producer, songwriter, guitarist, and bass guitarist on the album.

Moz is in his right to stop it, Street should of asked his permission in the first place instead of just assuming moz would be orite with it

I always wondered, why would Vini Reilly lie? What's he credited with on Viva Hate,
guitar, keyboards?

I believe they all got along really well during the making of it.

I always wondered, why would Vini Reilly lie? What's he credited with on Viva Hate,
guitar, keyboards?

i dont remember in which book (one of rogans probably)or article i read it but where on several pages both of them ar eclaiming as to who wrote exact what. they even argused over the tiniest parts...

guitar, keyboards?

On the other hand, is there any more convincing reason why Street would lie?

There's a letter from Morrissey published on Street's website which certainly seems to indicate he wrote most of the songs, as Morrissey comments on having read the songs, liking them very much and wanting to record them.

cheers

Street can not understand Morrissey's way of thinking at all

My first reaction to that was...can anybody?! Morrissey is such a unique and complex character, I'd be very skeptical if anybody thought they could understand his way of thinking.

I do think Morrissey was very much within his right to stop Street from using the material. Even though Street clearly intended to use it in a complimentary way, I think because Morrissey can be such a perfectionist and so self-critical, he probably didn't hold it in the high esteem Stephen did, and I can understand why he wouldn't want it released.

Pity though - I would have been very curious to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom