The Public Image?

good :)

Good, but it's what lies within the post....end of "posting" on this matter!
Back on topic

Would an image of Morrissey buying loo-roll in ASDA change anything? Does he even buy his own loo-roll...?

Toilet paper advisor? Hahaha.

You're probably right. Do you think Morrissey is a master of image in that regard?

Would an image of Morrissey buying loo-roll in ASDA change anything? Does he even buy his own loo-roll...?

He's seen shopping in sainsburys and he was over at unicorn veg shop in manchester the other week.

Hahaha, doubt it! Morrissey is purely an image of the greatest band that ever lived in human history: The Smiths

He's seen shopping in sainsburys and he was over at unicorn veg shop in manchester the other week.

So do you think he shows himself in person for the nicey nicey things like half-price champagne and ben&jerry's, but gets someone else to do his Sainsbury's dirty work? haha :)

Sainsbury's are such a rip off! ASDA are sooo much cheaper, even Moz knows that! Hasn't he seen the adverts?

Perhaps you should write him a letter, DAVIE?

Yes, I shall tell him he can find cheaper.....What the hell? Why doesn't ASDA do that? Morrissey would be riding on his trolly in seconds if he saw the word "bargain"

ha! I'm not sure how enthusiastically he chases bargains...

He's a Gucci Baby, don't you know? Not exactly one afraid to spend his hard-earned cash.

Nahh, he gets them cheap with his celeb-status and probably has many "friends" in the Gucci industry! :lbf:

Wish I had friends in the Gucci industry...

It is a very interesting question. As Mauve21 commented, when Morrissey first became famous with The Smiths, there was a genuine air of innocence about him, he had a child-like innocence. That has obviously gone now, the exterior is very tough, he trusts very few people. I think virtually the entire music industry regards him as 'difficult' and 'unrelenting', this is hardly surprising as Morrissey has never played the game, he's commented on numerous times that he dislikes the industry immensly, and has never been part of it. This is probably the reason why certain elements of it has tried on more than one occasion to destroy his career. He is one of the very few artists whose fanbase is largely fanatical and will stay that way, he doesn't seem to attract a lot of new fans, this is the reason why any new releases chart high in the first week and then plummet straight away. As far as knowing much about him goes, we know very little, he's still a mystery after all these years. Oh, it's late, I'm going to bed.
i disagree . ive seen plentys of young fans myslef on live concerts i attended
and from judging on old pictures videobootlegs this was always so..
compare him to other artists od the same age where there arent so many young new fans among them . note also many of the younger fans even if they arent seening him in the flesh live (parents dont let their kids going alone, lack of money,boarding school/living in emote village) are listening online via last fm , taking part via myspace/facebook)
it has to do with the lyrics and with his uniqueness beside others which make him attractive to the young people

he can put it in words better:

I have been a huge fan of your music since the age of 14. Why do you think your music is so appealing and influential to the younger generation?
Sarah-Jane, 20
Alloa, Scotland

To put it bluntly, I think it's because of the loneliness I've experienced in my life - loneliness in the true sense of the word.
Very young people, I think, feel pushed around and ridiculed - and are - simply because of their age. The world can seem to be full of officious meddlers who like to tell others what to do - and, as a matter of fact, that's exactly how the world is! So in my voice, I think young people hear someone who understands the routine of being dumped.... excavations of the heart, etc.

i havet read in an interview that morrissey comemmented that jonathan ross commented to him"that people doubt i actually exist as a person"

Last edited:
sistersheila - that interview was in the Swords insert, and I believe appeared in an Irish (and possiblly Dublin) newspaper/magazine. I remember it because it made me laugh :D

I'm glad this thread has surfaced again- some of your responses are very interesting, and I enjoy the speculation about Moz's purchase of toilet roll. :p

i disagree . ive seen plentys of young fans myslef on live concerts i attended
and from judging on old pictures videobootlegs this was always so..
compare him to other artists od the same age where there arent so many young new fans among them . note also many of the younger fans even if they arent seening him in the flesh live (parents dont let their kids going alone, lack of money,boarding school/living in emote village) are listening online via last fm , taking part via myspace/facebook)
it has to do with the lyrics and with his uniqueness beside others which make him attractive to the young people

he can put it in words better:

I have been a huge fan of your music since the age of 14. Why do you think your music is so appealing and influential to the younger generation?
Sarah-Jane, 20
Alloa, Scotland

To put it bluntly, I think it's because of the loneliness I've experienced in my life - loneliness in the true sense of the word.
Very young people, I think, feel pushed around and ridiculed - and are - simply because of their age. The world can seem to be full of officious meddlers who like to tell others what to do - and, as a matter of fact, that's exactly how the world is! So in my voice, I think young people hear someone who understands the routine of being dumped.... excavations of the heart, etc.

i havet read in an interview that morrissey comemmented that jonathan ross commented to him"that people doubt i actually exist as a person"

I agree with both yours and his comments. I definitely think that his honesty and the way he articulates his feelings and experiences is an aspect of his music and persona which is very attractive to young people.

Also, going back to the question, I agree that with all public figures we are only allowed to see what they want us to. There is a suggestion of something hidden and not disclosed with the majority of 'celebrities' (at least, those who are well-known for their art or talent), and Morrissey's naturally private and introspective nature adds another layer of mystery to his public image, I feel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom