Seeking informed opinion(s) on these signed items?

Elspeth Buggery

aka Chris Adams
I bought them together at a record fair in London maybe 25 years ago. It's now time to sell up but I've recently had a dissenting voice (from a source whose opinion I value) as to their authenticity. Hence why I'm asking those who genuinely know their stuff re autogs for their two penn-orth! Cheers boys and girls.

Incidentally, although the QID sleeve would suggest otherwise (a light reflection), both signatures shown are in 100% black pencil/crayon.

Hi Chris,

I have collected a fair few autographed items over the years and, in my opinion, both these signatures are fake.
I wouldn't buy them, that's for sure.

I am sorry.

I.R.

On the other hand, I have already sold two items containing signatures comparable to these ones (I may've bought them all as a job lot, I don't recall) on covers/records that are way more valuable than the two pictured here, namely the Australian Ask 7" and the TIALTNGO French 7". In the case of signature forgery, it is far more often the case that low-value items are used for bogus autographs for reasons that are obvious. IMHO, it's highly unlikely that someone would risk a TIALTNGO French 7" with an autograph that doesn't make the grade.

Yes, I saw your There Is A Light 7" and I wouldn't have bought that one either.
That's exactly what happened, someone ruined a perfectly collectable record.
Again, in my opinion.

It's awkward and no one can be sure but, there are little things that make a sig not look "right", My thoughts, when most people do stick Y's we write a forward slash with a smaller diagonal to the left, when morrissey was doing sig's like this he'd do a little v with a line up to meet the v's point, this didn't seem to change until about the Vauxhall and I store signings when the y might be written with a loop under neath. In short your Y's are written wrong. The s's are far to curvatious s's are usually much thinner, this next one is going to sound insane, but f*** it, if you look at the R's as walking stick men going across the page left to right with the tip of the curve being a nose morrisseys R'S noses point level or slightly downwards, you're R's are couple of snooty f***ers pal pointing way up. That M is just plane pissed. Sorry these are fakes.

Last edited:
those are real, I know because I signed them ! I just used his name instead of mine for obvious reasons.

Listen Anon (if that IS your real name?) I have bought many things off Chris over the years but sorry to say these are fake. Stop trying to antagonise me you silly sausage.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input, girls and boys. I must aver that I'm still unsure. The fact that the batch of autographed items that this hails from contained a couple of mega-rare 7"s still makes me doubt that anything that precious would be used for 'autograph practice' amongst less rare stuff. It's not impossible, just implausible. Mr Wood says 'very fake'. I'm not sure of that either. They looked good to me when I bought them 25 years ago maybe. Does anyone out there have a 'close cousin' to these autographs that could shed some more light?

To bad its not back in the day. The collector corner was full of friendly knowledgeable people from around 1997 to 2012. There was some real nice people and full of Moz and Smiths knowledge. How do you guys think Passions got all the pressing information from different countries. Even before the Internet, people kept photos of there collection in binders. Everyone always brought their collection list and want list to the meet ups and Moz shows in 1991 and 1992 here in North America. Lots of good people back then. Now we are all in our late 40's and even 50's. Don't have time for a the childish name calling and such. But carry on. I am glad I do still keep up with some of the good people I met over the years. Through email and phone. Not on this forum though

Hi Chris i have said they were fake because they are not the typical Morrissey scrawl, however i remembered i had bought a fully signed 12" of heaven knows years ago and all of the other sigs are 100% but Morrisseys sig looks very much like yours and i have always had doubts about it but seeing as the others are fine i assumed either Morrisseys was also real and had signed it in haste or maybe someone managed to get them all except Morrisseys and had added it to make it look complete. I will take pics and post later.

I find the less florid signatures (ie early) far more difficult to feel confident about - so it's a tough call.
The 'I' can swing it either way despite the S's & R's looking off.
Best of luck,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom