Morrissey pays tribute to Jean Charles de Menezes

Flax

jeancharlesES_468x578.jpg

Morrissey paid tribute to police shooting victim Jean Charles de Menezes during his gig at London's O2 Brixton Academy last night (July 22).

The show, rescheduled after the singer was forced to postpone dates on his May tour, was taking place on the fourth anniversary of his death, when the Brazilian electrician was mistakenly shot by anti-terrorism police at the Stockwell London Underground station, which is close to the venue.

The former Smiths singer paused before 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and paid his respects, declaring: "Jean Charles de Menezes, we will never forget, we will never forget."

Later in the show, which he'd opened with The Smiths' classic 'This Charming Man', Morrissey took aim at music journalists for not reviewing his Brixton shows.

The star also slammed The Times' report of his show at London's Troxy on Saturday (July 18) ahead of 'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores'.

"The review said I was offensive without saying how or why," mused the singer, "and that's why music journalism is full of crashing bores."

Re: Morrissey pays tribute to Jean Charles

we looked the the shrine people have made at the tube station. very moving

The fact that the Police can shoot a terrorist "suspect" 7 times in the head without shouting a warning first is an absolute shocking disgrace.

The Police said it was the fact he was running that raised their suspicions. He was running because he either jumped the gates (I do that) or because he heard the train arriving on the platform which he didn't want to miss.

Go to the London tube on any given day and you'll see hundreds of people running for the trains.

Such a sad sad sad thing.

The fact that the Police can shoot a terrorist "suspect" 7 times in the head without shouting a warning first is an absolute shocking disgrace.

The Police said it was the fact he was running that raised their suspicions. He was running because he either jumped the gates (I do that) or because he heard the train arriving on the platform which he didn't want to miss.

Go to the London tube on any given day and you'll see hundreds of people running for the trains.

Such a sad sad sad thing.

Yeah what a shambles, i bet they were back slapping after the event thinking they were heroes.

I could understand it (almost) if they'd shot him while he was running away but they didn't shoot him until he was already on the train.
If he had been a terrorist, everyone would've been dead after the first shot.

I applaud Morrissey for saying a tribute. I've just read the story for the first time but it's just, I don't know, the perfect thing to do.

I had never seen the shrine before I went to Brixton, and I agree, it was very moving.
And Morrissey is quite right; we shouldn't forget this.

Back
Top Bottom