'Lifeguard Swimming, Girl Drowning' Song Meanings... what do you think?

Sonny Jim

I saw the POV of someone standing inbetween the lifeguard and the girl, like a third person specutator of this scene, looking but not intervening, walking down a beach. Or a group of people speculating about what is going on and making excuses in order to spare their guilt. Prehaps a metaphor about those who fall between the gaps and those around them looking away with side glances.

It reminds me of 'The Lazy Sunbathers' [Too jaded to question stagnation] - people want life free of responsibility and do not want to get involved . They are both on the same album so could be, maybe the sunbathers on are the 'same beach'.

Last edited:
I thought it was just a fanfare about the girl who fakes for love and attention. But this is a really good, kind of complicated interpretation :confused::confused::confused:
You are the 'pov' or Morrissey?? The song is really good, no offence I don't think people would jump to this meaning in the song, because I didn't babe. If you worked on your points longer you could have somethin here

Stevie Smith - Not Waving, But Drowning.

Isn't it 'Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning'? :unsure:
Was that on purpose?

Thanks @Gregor Samsa for drawing links to the poem, can see its similar to the song, and I love Stevie Smith's poems.

Not Waving but Drowning​

By Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

“Not Waving but Drowning” from Collected Poems of Stevie Smith. Copyright © 1972

TGF

Yeah its about a girl swimming, the life guard has dosed off because hes sick of his job, and the girl before who was waving to those of the shore suddenly gets taken under and starts waving for help but the change is not seen.

This is a strange song, not catchy

I saw the POV of someone standing inbetween the lifeguard and the girl, like a third person specutator of this scene, looking but not intervening, walking down a beach. Or a group of people speculating about what is going on and making excuses in order to spare their guilt. Prehaps a metaphor about those who fall between the gaps and those around them looking away with side glances.

It reminds me of 'The Lazy Sunbathers' [Too jaded to question stagnation] - people want life free of responsibility and do not want to get involved . They are both on the same album so could be, maybe the sunbathers on are the 'same beach'.
Is it the same Lifeguard who was on Duty in 1988?

Back
Top Bottom