Is Coronavirus as serious as they say?

Yeah, I'm with @Surface on that, Mozmar. There are no easy answers - if there is no provision made, many of those kids are going to be dumped on grandparents, putting even more vulnerable people at risk of hospitalisation.

I think the 'me first' culture needs to be stamped on hard, though. Those locusts stripping the supermarket shelves during times meant for the NHS and elderly should hang their heads. I don't like draconian 'nanny state' interventions but something needs to be put in place if they can't behave. My lovely Tesco delivery driver - who phoned me yesterday to alert me before dropping all my shopping in bags outside the front door - said there may be some freed up delivery slots appearing, because they've become aware that some people are booking with more than one supermarket at a time to cover themselves. :mad:

I asked the question to get peoples' views; it wasn't a criticism of key workers, but I wanted to highlight the flaws with the idea, & imho, the teachers' situation (who are front-liners) hasn't received enough consideration & puts them, and their families at risk. What if the schools do have to fully close & kids of key workers have no schools to go to? What's plan B? Needs to be considered now, if it hasn't already.

I asked the question to get peoples' views; it wasn't a criticism of key workers, but I wanted to highlight the flaws with the idea, & imho, the teachers' situation (who are front-liners) hasn't received enough consideration & puts them, and their families at risk.
Yes, you're not wrong, it does. I just tend to think, in an awful situation faced with awful choices, it's the least worst option.

All hair salons now closed (daughter is aggrieved). Which I think is sensible, but, but... Soon we will alll start to look like this:

1584957369640.png

I got this yesterday via my LinkedIn feed, posted by some NHS consultant.
Interesting comparison of Italy & UK deaths stats, with the 14 day time parallel.

covid.JPG

Updated figures to 22 March in UK, are 244, so the parallel 14 days comparison & trend is holding true (Italy was 233 on 7 March).
Italy currently at c. 5,500 deaths, which if the trend continues, should be the approximate no. of deaths in UK around 5th April.

Last edited by a moderator:
death cases among artists and arts scholars in march 2020 specifically related to covid19 (i added pneumonia cases and lung failure in early march too.) many more death cases are listed without an official cause of death.
(source: wikipedia deaths in 2020)

3/3
Minoru Betsuyaku, 82, Japanese writer, pneumonia.

3/6
Amanullah, 70, Pakistani actor (Khabarnaak, One Two Ka One, Na Maloom Afraad) and comedian, lung and kidney failure.

3/15
Vittorio Gregotti, 92, Italian architect, COVID-19.

3/16
Sergio Bassi, 69, Italian folk singer-songwriter, COVID-19.

3/18
Jean Leber, 70–71, French violinist, COVID-19.

3/19
Aurlus Mabélé, 66, Congolese singer and composer, stroke and COVID-19.

Black N Mild, 44, American bounce music deejay, COVID-19.

3/20
Tarcisio Stramare [it], 91, Italian biblist and writer, COVID-19.

3/21
Aileen Baviera, 60, Filipino academic, COVID-19.

3/22
Mike Longo, 83, American jazz pianist, COVID-19.

Pino Grimaldi [it], 71, Italian designer, COVID-19.

Germà Colón, 91, Spanish philologist, COVID-19.

3/23
Nashom Wooden, 50, American drag performer (The Ones, Flawless, Swoon), COVID-19.

Lucien Sève, 93, French philosopher and political activist (French Communist Party), COVID-19.

Lucia Bosè, 89, Italian actress (No Peace Under the Olive Tree, Story of a Love Affair, Rome 11:00), Miss Italia (1947), COVID-19.

3/24
Manu Dibango, 86, Cameroonian saxophonist ("Soul Makossa"), COVID-19.

surprised about the many covid19 deaths among politicians. would be interesting to know which professional groups are most affected. first, medical staff, i guess, preceded by retirees.

Last edited by a moderator:
After it was looking like poor Italy might be moving in a more positive direction, via 2 days of consecutive drops in numbers of deaths (from a peak of 793 in a single day down to 651, then 601), deaths have shot up again today by 743, taking total number, at day 32, to 6820 deaths courtesy of corona.

The data parallels between Italy & UK (at the 14 day interval) are quite staggering, as per the chart in an earlier post, although we are now very slightly behind Italy's figures.

If the trend continues then at day 20 (for the UK this is 26th March - 2 days time) we, in theory, could be looking at a total of >1000 deaths.
Italy total deaths at day 20 was 1015.

Please take precautions if you can & keep safe; the forum has been quiet enough today as it is...

3/23
Maurice Berger, 63, American cultural historian, curator, and art critic, COVID-19
1585165838092.png

3/24
Jenny Polanco, 61, Dominican fashion designer, COVID-19.
Juan Padrón, 73, Cuban comics artist (Elpidio Valdés) and animator (Vampires in Havana), lung disease
Terrence McNally, 81, American playwright (Ragtime, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Love! Valour! Compassion!) and screenwriter, Tony winner (1993, 1995, 1996), COVID-19.
1585166037314.png

3/25
Detto Mariano, 82, Italian musician (I Ribelli) and composer, COVID-19
1585166110654.png

Paul Goma, 84, Romanian writer, COVID-19
Floyd Cardoz, 59, Indian-American chef (Top Chef Masters), COVID-19

mostly men, indeed.

i think "alone" means that the husband is not allowed to be around, but they will have midwives and medical staff helping, so they are not completely alone when giving birth, .... i hope so...
Yes- Medical staff - but no support party. They can FaceTime but it’s not the same, and the father not being able to witness the birth of his own child is heartbreaking.

Yes- Medical staff - but no support party. They can FaceTime but it’s not the same, and the father not being able to witness the birth of his own child is heartbreaking.
would be interesting to find out why fathers were not allowed to be present during birth only a few decades ago. probably there were also some health reasons, besides the fact of course, that it was deemed improper for a man to be around during birth, so that he could later welcome the cleaned up result of all his hard labour.

would be interesting to find out why fathers were not allowed to be present during birth only a few decades ago. probably there were also some health reasons, besides the fact of course, that it was deemed improper for a man to be around during birth, so that he could later welcome the cleaned up result of all his hard labour.
Maybe it’s not for all couples, but nowadays most fathers want to be a part of the delivery. I’m sure Google or Wikipedia can give you the history of child birth through the decades.

Back
Top Bottom