California Son: 4
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain: 3

UPDATE 11:25 AM PT:

Added placings:
#1 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
#1 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
#2 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Last edited by a moderator:
The animosity between Factory and The Smiths, and more specifically between Tony Wilson and Morrissey, was always there. I think that still is there somewhere in the back of fans’ minds. Not that I care. I like JD and NO a lot - as well as Electronic - although nowhere near as much as The Smiths or Morrissey.

I think Johnny teaming up with Sumner right after the break-up wasn’t taken lightly by Moz.

once again, alluding you yourself being “in the know”
You really haven’t got a clue, at all.

1gig in 11 years. Not to be taken a blind bit of notice of.

The Smiths, the Fall, New Order and the Cure all appealed to a particular kind of indie fan.

They all carved their own path at a time when the New Romantic bands were prominent and commercial pop meant everything.

New Order were good but they don't even compare to Joy Division, never mind the Smiths or Morrissey.
In the US it was Morrissey/The Smiths, Depeche Mode, New Order/Joy Division and The Cure. They are all different but lots of people seemed to like all of them.

The animosity between Factory and The Smiths, and more specifically between Tony Wilson and Morrissey, was always there. I think that still is there somewhere in the back of fans’ minds. Not that I care. I like JD and NO a lot - as well as Electronic - although nowhere near as much as The Smiths or Morrissey.

I think Johnny teaming up with Sumner right after the break-up wasn’t taken lightly by Moz.
Exactly right re Electronic and the main problem with them was the quality control was non existent. The standard set by some great singles was let down by some truly awful album tracks and Johnny's reputation was dented by a run of absolutely mediocre albums.

Poor showing in the Irish Charts, I realise your all in lockdown but surprised at a no.47 placing, any thoughts?
Well, it's a smaller population, He has received very little airplay or publicity of any kind, apart from a weak as ditchwater review by Barry Egan and Hotpress. I've only heard Bobby a few times on Radio Nova and nowhere else. All the other stations play abysmal chart lists for the majority of the time. We're a small country but I would like to see him do well in Ireland. I think people have other things on their minds if they're listening to media here. I'm still working so I listen to CDs instead of radio on my commute with all this Covid talk so I could be missing something but I doubt it.
Also he hasn't played here since February 2018 so he's possibly not on most peoples radar except mainly the original fans.

Exactly right re Electronic and the main problem with them was the quality control was non existent. The standard set by some great singles was let down by some truly awful album tracks and Johnny's reputation was dented by a run of absolutely mediocre albums.
Yes, they started really well with some wonderful singles, and the first album was great. After that it was very hit and miss, more miss than hit.

A run of, they only released 3 albums?

Thought they said the first album was great and then a run mediocre ones, assumed a run would mean more than two. I thought the first one was great and the others were ok.

First one: mediocre
Others: very very bad (BernardS and JMarr are given money by Prozac industry to do that albums - criminal from both).
JMarr is just pathetic post Smiths.

Johnny was certainly struggling post-Smiths, but I think the first Electronic-album and Dusk with The The were the 2 best albums he was involved with at the time.
He never bettered that one could also say.

Well, it's a smaller population, He has received very little airplay or publicity of any kind, apart from a weak as ditchwater review by Barry Egan and Hotpress. I've only heard Bobby a few times on Radio Nova and nowhere else. All the other stations play abysmal chart lists for the majority of the time. We're a small country but I would like to see him do well in Ireland. I think people have other things on their minds if they're listening to media here. I'm still working so I listen to CDs instead of radio on my commute with all this Covid talk so I could be missing something but I doubt it.
Also he hasn't played here since February 2018 so he's possibly not on most peoples radar except mainly the original fans.
I take on board what your saying but still surprised, I'm from Scotland but I've seen him in Dublin 3 times and the fans were out in force. I think fans are generally aware his albums are coming out despite lack of publicity or airplay (plus his connections to Ireland) so it's that side of things that made me think something didn't add up.

Do the haters need to hear any more , here are facts that cant be denied.....and what's so insane about it, No Air Play , ......I know.... I know....I know, he is simply the best

Last edited:
I take on board what your saying but still surprised, I'm from Scotland but I've seen him in Dublin 3 times and the fans were out in force. I think fans are generally aware his albums are coming out despite lack of publicity or airplay (plus his connections to Ireland) so it's that side of things that made me think something didn't add up.
Yes, I'm very surprised myself and can't really account for it except in those general terms already stated. There was a great turnout in 2018 so I don't know where they are - Hiding under the bed listening to Big Brother- I have no idea. I'm delighted he's number 1 in Scotland

Yes, I'm very surprised myself and can't really account for it except in those general terms already stated. There was a great turnout in 2018 so I don't know where they are - Hiding under the bed listening to Big Brother- I have no idea. I'm delighted he's number 1 in Scotland

2014/2018 at the point/ tree arena, whilst there was a healthy crowd, neither sold out.
Quite surprised an Irish date wasn’t filtered in during the last 2 years.

Impressive indeed, no radio, label support, goes to show that that the Tao of Stephen is strong as ever.

A run of, they only released 3 albums?
Exactly, some of those dancey tunes on their albums were shocking, why Johnny went near that after The Smiths only he knows but if it was to distance himself from The Smiths style I reckon that was unwise. Truth is he's built a fairly successful career since he went solo and he's pretty cool live but he's never bettered anything he did with The Smiths.

Impressive indeed, no radio, label support, goes to show that that the Tao of Stephen is strong as ever.

This never happened in history of pop/rock music. Even Sex Pistols had radio and TV play and push from record company and management.
Morrissey was alone, just with band friends - Boz, Tobias & co.
This is the greatest victory in modern art. So proud for Morrissey.
Morrissey is the greatest!

This never happened in history of pop/rock music. Even Sex Pistols had radio and TV play and push from record company and management.
Morrissey was alone, just with band friends - Boz, Tobias & co.
This is the greatest victory in modern art. So proud for Morrissey.
Morrissey is the greatest!
Truth is from day one The Smiths struggled to get airplay on daytime/ mainstream radio although they did make it onto Top Of The Pops frequently which helped their profile as did Morrissey when he went solo.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom