From a Stevenage overspill...

The Seeker of Good Songs

I always thought "Stevenage" was Morrissey word play on his name, but recently watched an old episode of The Saint (The Saint: Season 2 Episode 1 - The Fellow Traveler), starring Roger Moore, and on an opening scene was:

upload_2019-1-19_12-31-33.jpeg

The things one discovers from Morrissey lyrics.

But what is a Stevenage overspill?

Oh hell no. I had the blessing to spend two nights in Stevenage the other month. It has its charms, in relation to roundabouts and underpasses, and the old town is nice. It's just, as the Sex Pistols said '...a satellite of London'

I always thought "Stevenage" was Morrissey word play on his name, but recently watched an old episode of The Saint (The Saint: Season 2 Episode 1 - The Fellow Traveler), starring Roger Moore, and on an opening scene was:

View attachment 47256

The things one discovers from Morrissey lyrics.

But what is a Stevenage overspill?
Stevenage was the first of several New Towns built just outside of London after WW2 to accommodate large numbers of people moving out of the capital as part of the post-war regeneration effort. The new towns were literally 'London overspill' - the population of London spreading outwards. The New Towns were not noted for their charm... In the lyric this is contrasted with Fulham/SW6 - an established, affluent and quite desirable area of London.

Back
Top Bottom