Any good books on Morrissey?

W

watercoloursun

Would someone please suggest some good books on Morrissey I should read...I'd like to buy some from Amazon and I am unsure about which ones I should purchase. I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks!

> Would someone please suggest some good books on Morrissey I should
> read...I'd like to buy some from Amazon and I am unsure about which ones I
> should purchase. I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks!

Personally, I like "Saint Morrissey" by Mark Simpson. I know some people don't, but it's horses for courses, after all.

And... guess what... there's an interview with him here:
http://prettypettythieves.com/followers/marksimpson.htm

The only books on Morrissey that could be considered anything approaching 'essential' are "Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance" by Johnny Rogan which is a very detailed biography of Morrissey's life up until The Smiths split (Moz didn't approve, but then, would he ever?) and "Saint Morrissey" by Mark Simpson - a very enjoyable and worthwhile assessment of the Morrissey enigma. The rest really aren't worth the bother.

> The rest really aren't
> worth the bother.

I had a flick through "Scandal and Passion" the other day (or whatever it's called... "Sandals and Poison" or something), and I fell on the page where they talk about "All The Lazy Dykes". The reaction the writer had was just bizarre. Apparently it's a really nasty song about lesbians and in the future bad things will occur to Moz for writing it.

Erm... I mean, it's hardly my most favourite song he's ever done, but I very much doubt that Dykes On Bykes will turn up and run over him. Blimey.

> I had a flick through "Scandal and Passion" the other day (or
> whatever it's called... "Sandals and Poison" or something), and
> I fell on the page where they talk about "All The Lazy Dykes".
> The reaction the writer had was just bizarre. Apparently it's a really
> nasty song about lesbians and in the future bad things will occur to Moz
> for writing it.

> Erm... I mean, it's hardly my most favourite song he's ever done, but I
> very much doubt that Dykes On Bykes will turn up and run over him. Blimey.
I know, I saw that too. f***ing ludicrous. And that's coming from a dyke. Lazy and proud.

> I had a flick through "Scandal and Passion" the other day (or
> whatever it's called... "Sandals and Poison" or something), and
> I fell on the page where they talk about "All The Lazy Dykes".
> The reaction the writer had was just bizarre. Apparently it's a really
> nasty song about lesbians and in the future bad things will occur to Moz
> for writing it.

> Erm... I mean, it's hardly my most favourite song he's ever done, but I
> very much doubt that Dykes On Bykes will turn up and run over him. Blimey.

I flicked through it myself and found myself reading an analysis of Jack the Ripper. Apparently it's all about Morrissey meeting Jack and getting off with him! I think that writer is a bit of a loon!

> I know, I saw that too. f***ing ludicrous. And that's coming from a dyke.
> Lazy and proud.

Good for you. I was in a lesbian bar last night and there were no plans to lynch Moz, as far as I could tell. There was, however, a queue for the pool table.

> I flicked through it myself and found myself reading an analysis of Jack
> the Ripper. Apparently it's all about Morrissey meeting Jack and getting
> off with him! I think that writer is a bit of a loon!

Oh my god!!! That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard! Perhaps, and this says something... even funnier than the Princess Di conspiracy theory about 'The Queen is Dead'.... *chuckle*

WHAT THE HELL?!

I might see if I can get it out from the library, I need a good laugh.

> WHAT THE HELL?!

> I might see if I can get it out from the library, I need a good laugh.

I would imagine by now it's about 2p on Amazon! ;0

> 2p too much!

It's incredible that it got published! someone somewhere must've thought, "Ah, it says morrissey on the cover, everyone'll buy it." Ah, no, there is such a thing as having a flick-through to see if you can be bothered to buy it...

At this rate I could get any old crap I could knock up in half an hour published. Not that anyone would buy it, of course, but my mother would (at long last) be proud of me.

I got 'Scandal and Passion' out of the library and actually quite enjoyed it, it's full of factual inaccuracies and the author's obviously nuts but I found the whole thing oddly amusing. I'd say worth reading, but only after Severed Alliance and Saint Morrisey (which is also a bit demented, but in a really good way).

> Would someone please suggest some good books on Morrissey I should
> read...I'd like to buy some from Amazon and I am unsure about which ones I
> should purchase. I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks!
Into the Art of Peepholism. by Jo Slee.

Depends on what you are looking for....

As mentioned, without a doubt get The Severed Alliance, though that is on The Smiths (including all members pre Smiths history) with just a brief solo career covered.
If it is the songs you are interested in, what the lyrics mean, where they have been 'borrowed' from and riffs etc, then get 'Songs that saved your life' by Simon Goddard (get the 2nd and updated version).
Scandal and Passion was an attempt to cover the solo career with promised juicy bits of gossip but they never appeared. If you dont know much about the subject it is not too bad, but if you know it all probably not worth the bother.
Finally, if it's a guide to Manchester's Morrissey / Smiths related places then 'Morrissey's Manchester' will do. Well I recommend it anyway.......! =;)

The Goat

Re: Depends on what you are looking for....

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll be buying these books with my next paycheck. thanks again!

As mentioned, without a doubt get The Severed Alliance, though that is on
> The Smiths (including all members pre Smiths history) with just a brief
> solo career covered.
> If it is the songs you are interested in, what the lyrics mean, where they
> have been 'borrowed' from and riffs etc, then get 'Songs that saved your
> life' by Simon Goddard (get the 2nd and updated version).
> Scandal and Passion was an attempt to cover the solo career with promised
> juicy bits of gossip but they never appeared. If you dont know much about
> the subject it is not too bad, but if you know it all probably not worth
> the bother.
> Finally, if it's a guide to Manchester's Morrissey / Smiths related places
> then 'Morrissey's Manchester' will do. Well I recommend it anyway.......!
> =;)

> The Goat

Back
Top Bottom