‘The Secret of Music’ is the worst Morrissey song I’ve ever heard

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
We really need that Insightful emoji back.

Thanks Pepper. I have read the terms "hater" and "true fan" bantered about here for years. I find trying to define them a bit too...defining for my taste. ;) Everyone has their own opinion of the man and his music, and that is exactly what I come here for. Amidst all the nonsensical and vitriolic posts (many of which I enjoy more that the actual on topic posts), there are excellent exchanges of thoughts and feelings regarding Morrissey's music and the man himself. Like any great wild garden it is important to watch where you place your feet, or in the case of this site where you cast your eye.

Maladjusted is Morrissey's masterpiece including the two songs you mention above. The wry wit of his lyrics carried forth in He Cried:

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

It might take a fellow Steven to fully appreciate the reference to St. Stephen. This same wit can also be found in the lyric Yes I walk around....somehow...but you have killed me. I could easily listen to Maladjusted on repeat for days vs. one hour of being forced to listen to anything on the past three records.

His song lyrics now are colorless, weightless, and unmemorable. A constant repetition of the song title in the lyrics along with the same lines used over and over again to no effect. He is painting by numbers now, removed is the art of the words that came from deep within his heart.

At least there are many out there that appreciate what he is doing now keeping him afloat. But he is taking on water like the Titanic and more concerned with rearranging the deck chairs. But alas the S.S. Morrissey always had a penchant for traveling into iceberg infested waters, and like any good captain he will go down with his ship. I do respect him for that.

I hadn't caught that reference to St. Stephen, and now that you point it out, it's a very good one. Lyrically it's not a bad song. It might be the recurring, repetitive moaning of "he cry-ee-i-ied" that puts me off to it. Not exactly wit or profundity, and an irritating delivery.

Are his current lyrics always so bad, though? "Sure to keep the poor poor | in fear of a God who hadn't saved them after all." "And if it breaks your legs then don't come running to me." I will agree that the lyrical success rate is diminished from what it used to be, but the delivery is better than ever. I'm taken with the way he croons, "oh no, you poor little fool," or emphatically declares "the father searches for the son," or sings the whole of "Mountjoy." The voice on Maladjusted is a wisp of what he possesses now. A mostly excellent album, little to complain about, but if re-recorded with the vocal timbre of the present, it would be improved.

Thanks Pepper. I have read the terms "hater" and "true fan" bantered about here for years. I find trying to define them a bit too...defining for my taste. ;) Everyone has their own opinion of the man and his music, and that is exactly what I come here for. Amidst all the nonsensical and vitriolic posts (many of which I enjoy more that the actual on topic posts), there are excellent exchanges of thoughts and feelings regarding Morrissey's music and the man himself. Like any great wild garden it is important to watch where you place your feet, or in the case of this site where you cast your eye.
Beautifully put, evennow. And yes, I find those polarised terms tiresome and childish. They are like hashtags, which remove the need for anyone to think for themselves. Once something becomes a hashtag, all intelligent debate is lost. Those silly labels are much the same.

I hadn't caught that reference to St. Stephen, and now that you point it out, it's a very good one. Lyrically it's not a bad song. It might be the recurring, repetitive moaning of "he cry-ee-i-ied" that puts me off to it. Not exactly wit or profundity, and an irritating delivery.

Are his current lyrics always so bad, though? "Sure to keep the poor poor | in fear of a God who hadn't saved them after all." "And if it breaks your legs then don't come running to me." I will agree that the lyrical success rate is diminished from what it used to be, but the delivery is better than ever. I'm taken with the way he croons, "oh no, you poor little fool," or emphatically declares "the father searches for the son," or sings the whole of "Mountjoy." The voice on Maladjusted is a wisp of what he possesses now. A mostly excellent album, little to complain about, but if re-recorded with the vocal timbre of the present, it would be improved.

I completely agree about his voice. And the shame of it all is that now that he has found his full voice he has chosen to distance himself from most of his past catalog. I am not trying to start WW XII here regarding why he chooses his set list as he does, but I do strongly believe more than any ramblings that fall from his tongue that it is this disownment of his past masterwork that leaves many of us without a purchased ticket in our hands.

WTF Barnaby ? how many times with the same preamble FFS??? you find defining hater and true fan too defining. We know that Barnaby you only have said so about a billion times ?. Barnaby nobody has asked for any definitions so no need for the daily soliloquy.? You have been categorized as a Skinny lover for quite a long time Barnaby

Barnaby TBH if you dont want to step on any nonsensical posts i recommend blocking your own self.?

OK so the music is a wonderfully weird sonic mess, the lyrics are random, the voice is imperious. I have no idea what is going on in this song but I LOVE it. It's like The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils on heroin. This song would go well on repetitive loop in an opium den.

Agreed, I actually think it's the best song on the album. All about opinions innit?

OK so the music is a wonderfully weird sonic mess, the lyrics are random, the voice is imperious. I have no idea what is going on in this song but I LOVE it. It's like The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils on heroin. This song would go well on repetitive loop in an opium den.

Yeah, makes sense...you probably have to be high to enjoy it.

At first I didn't like "The secret of music", but once I was listening to it while walking home, I kind of felt lost and confused in this weird, grotesque atmosphere it's creating. I also liked the fact that M doesn't try to sound serious in this one, it's kind of a troll-song and he knows it.

I am listening to it now, it's a bit Neu! for me.

No, it's really not. The Truth About Ruth is, though. It's official: You do not get Morrissey and everything now makes complete sense. Also, your "transition" is all about attention and rejection and nothing more. I see right through you. You can't hide your spots, leopard. Let's all hope the day soon cometh.
NextHairyAss-size_restricted.gif

Knockabout World still sucks tho.

No, it's really not. The Truth About Ruth is, though. It's official: You do not get Morrissey and everything now makes complete sense. Also, your "transition" is all about attention and rejection and nothing more. I see right through you. You can't hide your spots, leopard. Let's all hope the day soon cometh.
Nawe

I haven't heard "The Secret of Music," but I'll be intrigued (and horrified) if it's worse than "Spent the Day in Bed." I think the worst song on Kill Uncle is easily "Found Found Found"—apart from its own unique, thumping badness, it's also out of place among the twee, light-as-feather rockabilly stylings and ghostly piano ploddings.

I'm sure it's been done on this forum before, but since this thread is so particular in its focus, maybe it's time for another round of "5 Worst (or Least Favorite) Morrissey Songs." Mine are indicative of a dismaying trend.

Spent the Day in Bed
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Found Found Found
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
Knockabout World
Knockabout world? I'm sorry but that "You're okay by me" refrain is ear candy. Redeems the whole song from the slightly corny verse and the half written chorus.

Knockabout world? I'm sorry but that "You're okay by me" refrain is ear candy. Redeems the whole song from the slightly corny verse and the half written chorus.
The whole song is good. Please clean out your ears.

I would have to revise that whole "Bottom 5" list now that I've listened to I Am Not a Dog on a Chain full. Suffice it to say, "Knockabout World" is no longer on it (not that I like it any better, but there are now several more that best it for awfulness). !Viva Hate! was right: "The Secret of Music" is worse.

I agreed when I first heard it...I detested it. Somehow I came to love it....maybe because it's so awkward. I don't think it should be on the album...but it's a great song.

Last edited:
I can’t get it out of my head. It’s definitely bean a grower for me. I think it’s much deeper than it’s given credit for. Many layers and rabbit holes

Back
Top Bottom