is there only me in the world who thinks THE CLASH were sh*t?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
cant see them for anything more than a punk version of ub40, manufactured punk band who had their outfits designed for them, public schoolboy frontman with handful of catchy hits and some poor covers, what am i missing?

It's you.

Have you had a lobotomy recently? ;)

Agreed.
I remember when the 'uniform' was available in the back pages of Smash Hits.
Absolute pseudos.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard they're my favorite punk band. But I'm really not one for punk. I love punk-beats in more melodic songs (Miserable Lie= <3), but pure punk songs put me to sleep. >.>;

cant see them for anything more than a punk version of ub40, manufactured punk band who had their outfits designed for them, public schoolboy frontman with handful of catchy hits and some poor covers, what am i missing?

Your missing the facts to be honest.

They were not manufactured and their gear was actually home made /designed by Paul Simonon in the early years.

The Pistols were manufactured.

They were not about ' catchy hits' and some of the covers were very good.

Best band of all time equal footing with The Smiths.

UB40? Jesus.....

You're probably thinking of Sex Pistols when you say manufactured. I expected more from a psychobilly member!:D

so those w*nk reggae covers and reggae tunes were done by another band then?

They aren't famous for reggae covers, which UB40 are! They are famous for their own songs which had a hint of reggae and more than a hint in some. UB40 generally aren't.

Your missing the facts to be honest.

They were not manufactured and their gear was actually home made /designed by Paul Simonon in the early years.

The Pistols were manufactured.

They were not about ' catchy hits' and some of the covers were very good.

Best band of all time equal footing with The Smiths.[/Q

and i bet you think PAUL WELLENS is the worlds best full back too....

The reason i ask Speadfreaks age is because would not think anyone above the age of say forty would nead this explaining. So lets assume Speadfreaks a whipper snapper (ie under thirty),and wasn't aware of the music scene of the early 1970's. More so then, than now young men fell into two groups football fanatics or music fans, i appreciate thats a sweeping generalisation but thats how i remember it. that's all very well untill you take a look at the billboard top 20 1974,75,76 OMG, what a waistland, pap, dire dire shite. go have a look search google for 1975 top 20 ,hideous. the argument might be, well our present charts show up similar amounts of brain rot and lift music, true but our non chart music today is so rich in diversity and quality in comparison you'll never know how spoiled you are.When i was in my early teens we did have some gems bowie bolan et al, but believe me they where few and far between. The majority of these guy's where still hanging on to the cool hippy ethics, so the fans found ourselves waiting for the next big release, with subject matter to include ridng white swans, and is there life on any other planet and various spaceman ditty's. All well and good but to some of us in the grime of salford it spoke nothing to me and my life, Politically the country was in a mess riots unemployment, electricity going of all the time crap building up in the streets because bin men are on strike again, even the dead not getting buried,why go to school you'd never get a job when you'd done.Still we've got "seasons in the sun", John Denver singing "Annies Song", and "Billy don't be a bastard Hero", I no i'm ranting forgive me, but i NEEDED the Clash in my life, the mind numbing binality of everything played everywhere blown away by these kids who, yep play bad reggae covers and gloriously poor quality but melodic two minute nuggets of agression. i'm not alone the pistols burned to quickly but for five/six years we had something worthwile to follow. This is how legends are built burn brightly at the right time for the right reason, maybe years later people will look back and say i don't get it and that's fine people have always said that about the music of my life especially morrissey, but as the great man once said you're allowed your oppinion but i'm right and your wrong..

and yes you could buy the uniform EVENTUALLY...

Like or loathe their music, The Clash's authenticity can't be questioned. I don't know how anyone could get the idea they were "manufactured".

Or...wait, have you only heard "Cut The Crap"? :rolleyes:

Last night playing Rock Band, I sang "Should I Stay or Should I Go Now."
I got booed off the stage.
Clearly, it's because the "audience" didn't like the song.
My singing had nothing to do with it.

Who's getting angry today?
What artists are speaking up and lashing out at the real villains? :confused:
Do I have my ear to the wrong doors, the music press aint much help. Perhaps I should phone up the Domestic Security spooks and ask them who they're listening to..

Last night playing Rock Band, I sang "Should I Stay or Should I Go Now."
I got booed off the stage.
Clearly, it's because the "audience" didn't like the song.
My singing had nothing to do with it.

Scientific fact is so exhilarating. :guitar:

I prefer the Buzzcocks personally - the Clash were a good punk band but there stuff is horribly dated when you hear it now.

I take your point about how the 70s needed them - John Denver? Oh dear...

I've just never gotten beyond how relentlessly ugly their music was. And proudly so. Ugly music made by three ugly men ~ plus the most beautiful punk in christendom (Simonon). Worshipped by young ugly men, now old and tedious ugly men, boring the tits off the rest of us about Saint Joe. Strummer and Jones' voices are hideous, the music is as pretty as pissed on concrete. I appreciate that at the time such brutality was completely necessary but that doesn't mean that listening to it thirty years on has to be anything other than torture.

I like their political music and I also love Joe Strummer as a person. He was against racism and sang against Nazism. The Clash were politically aware. I love their music, I think it's beautiful. Joe embraced cultures and ethnicties of all kinds. I don't know very many other punk bands that are like that. so I love The Clash.

Tags
clampdown u thread suckage
Back
Top Bottom