Reissue promo sleeves

lutewhine

I was going to bung this in an existing thread, but figured it was worth flagging up on its own. See the attached images.

The smudges on both are the watermarks, which I've obscured.

So, are you going to tell us about Fantastic Bird and You Should Have Been Nice To Me?

Peter

I really did have it in my head that these songs had long since leaked. Honey... and Fantastic Bird were both very familiar when I put the promo on.

There's a thread in the general bollocks section where I've said a bit

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=97363&page=3

...but some quick observations:

Fantastic Bird has a plinky piano bit at the beginning akin to Death Of A Disco Dancer before it crashes in. It's really not massively dissimilar to It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small. It's clearly not a song from the Southpaw era - his voice sounds a lot younger and thinner - kind of like who his voice sounds on that live version of What's The World, although this could be because it's very demo-ish in quality. No production on his voice at all. It's not particularly good, although the "Science" bit at the end of each chorus is good fun.

You Should Have Been Nice To Me has a similar lush feel to I'd Love To. Imagine that with a kind of waltzy sounding drum bit backing it. It's a little bit throwaway, and possibly the most generically Moz/least interesting of the three unreleased tracks, but I quite like it.

Honey You Know Where To Find Me is my favourite of the three - it reminds me a lot of Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. Kind of a more playful version of that. There are some guitars before the final verse that sound a bit cheesy early-90s US radio rock, which made me laugh. The vocal's clearly not a take intended for release incidentally - his voice cracks in the first verse, and he seems short of breath midway through some "ba ba ba"s at the end of one of the choruses.

None of the three sit particularly easily among the rest of the Southpaw tracklisting, a lot of which can be put down to the very obvious difference in production. Honey and Fantastic Bird are very thin and demo-ish sounding. The difference between Honey and Dagenham Dave straight after it is really jarring, for example. They really should've been put at the end as bonus tracks.

"Nobody Loves Us" is starred as a previously unreleased track?

They did that on the press release as well.

On the Maladjusted promo incidentally, Heir Apparent is listed as "Her Apparent".
Hadn't noticed before, but there's another error as well - "Now I Am I Was".

Fingers crossed they sort this stuff out on the version that hits the shelves.

I cant wait to put my hands on these 2 promos.....
Cheers Moz

Is it just me or is that SG sleeve 'vertically squeezed'. (What used to be known as 'doing a Paula Abdul' - stretching the image in the vertical axis in order to facilitate instant weight loss)
If so, why ? Moz was a svelte gent in '92, absolutely no need for an Abdul. Which makes me think this is one more cock up to add to the pile of mis-spellings, typos and omissions. Hopefully, this will be something else that they can fix before the record hits the stores (if you can find any now).
I'm beginning to think it's actually Morrissey who insists on all these errors, just so he can turn round later and have a good old moan about them ! ;)

Is it just me or is that SG sleeve 'vertically squeezed'. (What used to be known as 'doing a Paula Abdul' - stretching the image in the vertical axis in order to facilitate instant weight loss)
If so, why ? Moz was a svelte gent in '92, absolutely no need for an Abdul. Which makes me think this is one more cock up to add to the pile of mis-spellings, typos and omissions. Hopefully, this will be something else that they can fix before the record hits the stores (if you can find any now).
I'm beginning to think it's actually Morrissey who insists on all these errors, just so he can turn round later and have a good old moan about them ! ;)

That SG image is not from '92. Maybe it was the lens they used when they did the shoot but it doesn't look stretched to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom