Jude Rogers (The Guardian) on the re-release of two Morrissey albums

Thanks for that link, totally disagree with what she is saying though. Two excellent albums about to become even better in my opinion.

Thanks, Peter!

"The best way to do that is not to make your worst albums worse, and then ask people to buy them all over again."

Ouch.

As a fan of "Southpaw Grammar", I'm 50% supportive of the decision to re-release these two albums, even though I won't buy either. I guess more than anything I'm surprised The Guardian gave this matter any attention at all. Slow news day, I guess.

The article about Selectadisc was interesting at the end. The guy claims some kids told him it had been six years since they'd purchased a CD. Six years? I know CD sales have plummeted, vinyl is making small but significant gains in the market, and downloads rule now, but are CDs totally ignored by consumers? I'd understand saying "I've only bought a few dozen CDs in the last few years", but none?

I love selectadisc, and it will be so sad to see it go. However, I object to the owner saying things like, "You never get under-25s in my shop buying CDs anymore". I'm 21, and I've never downloaded a track off iTunes in my life.

She asks who the hell does Morrissey think he is, but who the hell does she think she is to dictate to an artist what area of their work they should spend time on?

As far as I am concerned Morrissey has every right to do what he wants with his own work, just as I have the right to decide whether to buy it or not.

OMG THe guardian AGAIN :rolleyes: these "moz fans" that write in the guardian and review his albuns are starting to look like those "Moz Fans" that post on the main page of this website :eek:

Who does she think she is? Southpaw is a fantastic album . I am glad he is doing a re-release. If you don't like it lady, don't buy it! just ignore it - get the Beatles white album 30th aniversary edition or WHATEVER... just leave the guy alone :crazy:

The problem is, most of the people who work in Media are c***s - plain and simple, especially David Quantick - the biggest c*** music journalist alive, IMO.

These albums were buried in the mass of hatred aimed at Morrissey in the mid-90's (and actually, i can remember good reviews for both albums, but this bitch of a "journalist" has chosen to focus on just the bad ones, to serve her own agenda), and they both deserve re-appraisal.

If this is how Morrissey wants us to hear the albums, i agree with him. For me, these are the definitive editions & i will buy them both.

Because i am a true fan, a real fan.
Because i must.

That's the same lady who also called Jeff Buckley a vain sellout or some such in an article a while back, boo!.
She's entitled to her opinion but she always seems to want to have a whinge, whatever man. I'm defo buying the re-releases.

I think they are two very poor albums tbh.

Vauxhall and I was a solo career high IMO.

Viva Hate was magestic.

Its a funny world, and not always in a ha ha mode.

Viva Hate was magestic.

Its a funny world, and not always in a ha ha mode.
Y'think ?
I worshipped it at the time, and for quite a few years after, but hadn't had occassion to listen to it in quite some time until recently. Surprised how disappointed I was; Side 1 was alright with 2 great tracks, 2 very good, 1 good, 1 bobbins. Side 2 after the god-like genius that is 'Suedehead' goes downhill very quickly barely bobbing above 'meh' level.
At the time I think it was highly rated simply because we were glad to have him around, as, after The Split, most of us were picking up our NME every Wednesday with the expectation of reading that Moz had been found in his Kensington&Chelsea mansion flat doing his best Plath karaoke rendition.
And look at him now. :D
It is, indeed, a funny old world...

Back
Top Bottom