Just Watched some rare Smiths Footage

Tonite i went to a screening of some rare footage of various bands from manchester including Joy Division, The Smiths, The Fall, Duriti Colomn.....
The Smiths Footage was a live Version of Hand in Glove from 1983. I cant tell you what gig it was from, but like most venues in those days, the crowd were virtually on the stage. Ive watched a lot of early Smiths footage, but i'd never seen this before. The footage was filmed by David Nichols?(i dont know if thats rite)

Hopefully somebody may have seen this before, but i just thought i'd share this with u to let u know there is still rare footage out there

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrA4kW2Nhto&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrA4kW2Nhto&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

was it this?

No it wasnt the assembly rooms, like i said its a venue/stage that i have never ever seen before, im lookin through some videos now on the web and cant find anything that resembles it. On the video the crowd looked like they were "avin it", at one point Morrissey nearly fell in the crowd, and the stage was very small with almost no room for marr and rourke. also there were some big bouncers stood at the side with dickie bows on. Its a shame i had to leave eary or i would of asked the director what gig it was from. It was definatley 83 though

Was it the time Mozz offered a bouncer out? That was classic!

I love your recollective memory, to see his scrawny vulnerable body during Smiths days rebounding of an un-evolved bouncer would of been glorious.

However, his screeches of hatred were enough to suffice.

Last edited:
they only played there three times the second show is easy to find on dvd..the third show those who have aren't sharing but does exist.

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-g830204.htm
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-g830706.htm
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-g831124.htm

It was shot at the hacienda, i have just had an email to confirm it, but ive asked him which gig it actually was as they played their a few times

Last edited:
It was shot at the hacienda, i have just had an email to confirm it, but ive asked him which gig it actually was as they played their a few times
its prob that rare hacienda gig shot from february 83 which has yet to appear online
the very commom one from 6th july 83 is the best known form the hacienda and widely avaiabale
..the one from november which appeared not so long ago is a bit a rarer...
then there is the february gig...which is prob it..if its so please share:pray::pray::flowers:
if i remember correctly these were all hacienda gigs in 83..anyone missing?

Last edited:
Just to let you know that it is the 24th november gig

This was in Blackburn on Church Street last night wasn't it? I missed this sadly! I knew it was coming up but didn't operate brain enough to think about it until afterwards when a mate of mine who went mentioned it.
Smiths played Gum Club in Blackburn in 83...apparantly that is what is now the Sun pub just up from Record Exchange, if you're familiar.
Nice to see that there are people in Blackburn with music taste mate!

This was in Blackburn on Church Street last night wasn't it? I missed this sadly! I knew it was coming up but didn't operate brain enough to think about it until afterwards when a mate of mine who went mentioned it.
Smiths played Gum Club in Blackburn in 83...apparantly that is what is now the Sun pub just up from Record Exchange, if you're familiar.
Nice to see that there are people in Blackburn with music taste mate!

Yeah it was at the Pavilions in church street, some of the videos were brilliant, and some were just really weird. Yeah the Smiths did play The Gum club but i wasnt sure were it was as no one ive spoke to had ever heard of it. was it really the Sun pub?
and yes it is quite rare in bburn to find people who like Mozza/The Smiths

Wasn't that 1986, in the middle of 'I Know It's Over'? Where he was shouting, 'Jesus, leave him alone, you stupid idiot LEAVE HIM!!'

:swear::love:

Yeah it was at the Pavilions in church street, some of the videos were brilliant, and some were just really weird. Yeah the Smiths did play The Gum club but i wasnt sure were it was as no one ive spoke to had ever heard of it. was it really the Sun pub?
and yes it is quite rare in bburn to find people who like Mozza/The Smiths

Aye, I knew it was the Gum club but apparantly that was the Sun pub at some point in the 80s, not for long though, thus why any memory of the Gum club has been erased. I think the title Gum Club may have only ever been a formality, and a temporary one at that. It appears its a small world mate, I think you know my brother Declan Kinney?

I'm pretty sure the Gum Club wasn't the Sun. If I remember correctly the Gum Club wasn't actually a club but was a night that took place "Upstairs at DJs". This was upstairs at the building next door to the Dun Horse Pub (which is now called Zy Bar I think). I think it later became Never Never Land and had C'est La Vie on the ground floor (or was that in the basement - my memory is failing me now - it's 25 years ago!!). It's been knocked down now. I remember seeing Alien Sex Fiend there although maybe I shouldn't own up to that!
I remember the Smiths playing in Blackburn but didn't go (no idea why!) although I saw them a couple of weeks later at University in Sheffield for the priceley sum of 50p!

Aye, I knew it was the Gum club but apparantly that was the Sun pub at some point in the 80s, not for long though, thus why any memory of the Gum club has been erased. I think the title Gum Club may have only ever been a formality, and a temporary one at that. It appears its a small world mate, I think you know my brother Declan Kinney?

Yeah i know your brother he's a top lad, used to sit next to him at Rovers

Back
Top Bottom