Remember, remember the 5th of November!

Jukebox Jury

Retired
“Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.”

The Smiths' vinyl album Strangeways, Here We Come has the phrase "Guy Fawkes was a genius" engraved near the run-out.

Guy Fawkes should always be remembered, he is the only person to have entered parliament with honest intentions......:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_fawkes

Jukebox Jury

There doesn't seem to be such a big deal about bonfire night anymore...stupid halloween has taken over. I used to love 'penny for guy'! :(

Oh well I made lots of yummy bonfire toffee! :)

Bonfire Night is one of my most vivid memories of visiting England as a teenager 20 years ago. We stayed for a couple weeks with my stepdad's parents in a tiny (and I mean tiny--population 30 or so) "town" in Yorkshire. One night, I looked outside and saw a large fire on a hill not far away. They told us it was Bonfire Night, and didn't think it was a big deal. But we sure did. We trekked up the hill and found an enormous bonfire, complete with a Guy Fawkes effigy. Everybody was celebrating. There was something very primitive and exotic about the whole thing.

Bonfire Night is one of my most vivid memories of visiting England as a teenager 20 years ago. We stayed for a couple weeks with my stepdad's parents in a tiny (and I mean tiny--population 30 or so) "town" in Yorkshire. One night, I looked outside and saw a large fire on a hill not far away. They told us it was Bonfire Night, and didn't think it was a big deal. But we sure did. We trekked up the hill and found an enormous bonfire, complete with a Guy Fawkes effigy. Everybody was celebrating. There was something very primitive and exotic about the whole thing.

I love it, it's my favourite holiday. I like it even better than Christmas now. What you said about it being primitive is totally right. I love how it's like a celebration of a natural element and stuff. I sound like such a hippie, haha. :o

I love it, it's my favourite holiday. I like it even better than Christmas now. What you said about it being primitive is totally right. I love how it's like a celebration of a natural element and stuff. I sound like such a hippie, haha. :o

Srsly. Surely it has origins long before Guy Fawkes, right? Did it just get transferred from Halloween celebrations? Off to look it up on Wikipedia...

Yes, agree, it's my favourite 'celebration'. Guy Fawkes was the original anarchist!

Munchy, love the St Pauli badge, my favourite German team.:cool:
Been to see them a couple of times over the years when I've been in Hamburg

Jukebox Jury

I think it's quite telling that the Brits celebrate a home-grown terrorist from 300 years ago. Somehow I doubt that we'll be lighting bonfires in honor of Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma City bomber) in a couple hundred years.

I think it's quite telling that the Brits celebrate a home-grown terrorist from 300 years ago. Somehow I doubt that we'll be lighting bonfires in honor of Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma City bomber) in a couple hundred years.

But it's not celebrating Guy Fawkes, the original ritual was to celebrate the fact that the plot was foiled and the King saved and it was also done as a reminder of what would happen to other people who had similar ideas..... in short, don't f*** with the establishment or you will be hung, drawn and quartered:eek:
Nothing much changes!

Jukebox Jury

Yes, agree, it's my favourite 'celebration'. Guy Fawkes was the original anarchist!

Munchy, love the St Pauli badge, my favourite German team.:cool:
Been to see them a couple of times over the years when I've been in Hamburg

Jukebox Jury

Except that he was a Catholic! :(

St Pauli are great, if I ever go to Hamburg definately want to go and see them. My friends kid has a baby St Pauli shirt, it's so cool. :cool:

A song for all of you remembering Guy Fawkes tonight:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that he was a Catholic! :(

St Pauli are great, if I ever go to Hamburg definately want to go and see them. My friends kid has a baby St Pauli shirt, it's so cool. :cool:
FC st pauli..yeah!
The club president Corny Littmann, long active in German theatre and head of the Schmidt Theater on the Reeperbahn, is openly gay.
He married his Tunisian partner, Madou Ellabib[

homosexuality-still something which is a taboo in sports like soccer
eben more so as an actual player:i remember one british player who killed himsself after his coming out..cant remember the name

http://www.gfdb.com/Club.1248.St-Pauli.aspx
(...)
FC St. Pauli enjoy certain fame for the left leaning character of its supporters: most of the team's fans regard themselves as anti-racist, anti-fascist and anti-sexist, and this has on occasion brought them into conflict with Neo-Nazism and Hooliganism at away games. The organization has taken up an outspoken stance against racism, fascism, sexism, and homophobia and has embodied this position in its constitution. Team supporters traditionally participate in demonstrations in the Hamburg district of St. Pauli, including those over squatting or low-income housing such as the Hafenstraße and Bambule. The centre of fan activity is the Fanladen St. Pauli.

The club prides itself on having have the largest number of female fans in all of German football. In 2002, advertisements for the men's magazine Maxim (magazine) were removed from the team's stadium in response to fan protests over the sexist depictions of women in the ads.

St. Pauli is also a worldwide symbol for punk rock and related subcultures. The unofficial Totenkopf logo and the team's brown and white football jerseys have often been worn by international artists such as Asian Dub Foundation. Turbonegro recorded a special version of their song "I Got Erection" with re-worked German lyrics for St Pauli. Bad Religion played a charity match against St. Pauli's third team in 2000. KMFDM frontman and Hamburg native Sascha Konietzko is a recognizable St. Pauli fan, even at one point placing a huge picture of a fist smashing a swastika on his band's main page with the caption St. Pauli Fans gegen Rechts! (St. Pauli fans against the right-wing) underneath it. One of the most notable supporters and sponsors is Andrew Eldritch, lead singer of band The Sisters of Mercy. On his latest tour, Sisters Bite The Silver Bullet in 2006, Eldritch wore the famous Totenkopf shirt. German musicians: Fettes Brot, Die Ärzte singer/drummer/songwriter Bela B, Kettcar, Tomte (band) and many other bands, most of them underground.

Home fixtures at the Millerntor-Stadion average greater attendance than any other team in the German third division, and often exceed turnouts for second division teams. St. Pauli can also boast more season ticket holders than many Bundesliga teams. One study recently estimated that the team has roughly 11 million fans throughout Germany, making the club one of the widely recognized German sides. There are about 200 registered fan clubs, many of them outside Germany.

St. Pauli are also known for their close links with many other foreign clubs and enjoy a particularly close friendship with Celtic F.C. with St. Pauli fans attending Celtic F.C. games on the continent when Celtic F.C. play UEFA competitions. St Pauli flags and scarves are frequently seen on display at Celtic Park and every year Celtic supporters arrive in Hamburg for the annual St Pauli - Celtic Festival.

In Israel, St. Pauli is identified with Hapoel Tel Aviv F.C, a first division team that also see itself as anti-racist and anti-Fascist. In the Tel Aviv derby that has take place at February 17, 2008, Hapoel Tel-Aviv fans waved a large St. Pauli flag in the stadium.

Club culture
- St. Pauli opens its home matches with AC/DC's Hells' Bells, and after every home goal Song 2 by Blur (band) is played, turning the stadium into a giant mosh pit.
(.................)

Last edited:
Guy was only trying to bring the one true faith back to you bloody heathens!!!!!

Here is a rather excellent book I read on the matter by Mrs.Harold Pinter...

x4910.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom