Sound Of The Smiths reviewed by John Harris in Q Dec 2008

thecondy

December 2008 edition.

Full page review plus full page photo of The Smiths down some back alley in Salford.

Gives 4 stars out of 5.

Basically says that they were one of the true greats and it isn't fanciful to compare them to The Beatles.
Only really criticises the What's The World live cover on the 2nd disc.

Re: Sound Of The Smiths reviewed by John Harris in new Q

Thank you very much for the heads up.
John Harris usually doesn't give favourable reviews, four stars are pretty good.

Bob, you can edit your earlier post clicking edit on the bottom. ;)

PS. if anyone wants the cutting from the sun yesterday , send me a PM and they can have it .. i dont keep stuff like that

Bob
Save it for when you run out of bog roll......

Jukebox Jury

Thank you very much for the heads up.
John Harris usually doesn't give favourable reviews, four stars are pretty good.

Harris absolutely loves the Smiths. A good review was pretty inevitable.
However, he can't stand solo Moz and never misses the chance to slags him off, perhaps most famously with his 2 star review of Who Ate Me Curry for Q...

Last edited:

Can never understand these Smiths fans who hate Morrissey. You'd think he had nothing to do with The Smiths and didn't stomp his personality all over that band. If you like the Smiths you'll find the same thing in Morrissey solo, even if you think the quality has dropped.

I tend to think it's more of an emotional response. They see Johnny Marr as an underdog so they have to slag Morrissey off mistakenly believing that by doing so they are supporting Marr.

can someone post up a scan ... i have no intention of buying and am still reeling from yesterdays 30p sun purchase ... it'll me the bloody NME next :mad:

Here you go Bob!

File0027.jpg

File0028.jpg

thanks for that.

Sorry, what he says is all good and that but John Harris is still a git, with the worst hair style since Chris Waddle back in the day. Maybe it's cos I remember him primarily as a snidey little NME hack slagging off Moz (solo) that I can't really take him seriously in his current position as self-styled 'cultural commentator' on all things political/media/arts. He thinks he's soddin' Noam Chomsky! Every time I see him on 'Late Review' cynically droning on and on, frantically avoiding eye contact with anyone, I want to hurl......
Aaaaand relaaaax....
'SERENITY NOW'
:)

Doh !! just found this full page ad in the same mag:rolleyes:

File0029.jpg

Doh !! just found this full page ad in the same mag:rolleyes:

File0029.jpg
Hahahaha!
I never noticed until now ~ they're all smiling, except Joyce. That's funny that is. :p

Two bits from the New edition of Q

Both mentioned elsewhere on this site, and again, posted mainly for the benefit of users abroad; The John Harris review of the upcoming Sound Of The Smiths...

29zam20.jpg

and a relevant bit of the Harry Hill Q&A...

156u9w9.jpg

I was pedalling furiously to get the dynamo-powered scanner to do these. I may need a new one.

Back
Top Bottom