If Morrissey was convicted a paedophile, would you still listen to his music?

raincoated lover

concrete sister
A la Gary Glitter.
Would the lyrics still mean what they meant to you when they saved your teenage lives?
Would you still listen to him and his music(s)?

I was reading the R Kelly thread when the question imposed itself upon me.

Yes..

Well, people still listen to Michael Jackson....(I know he was never convicted)

I would still listen to the songs, simply because most of it is fantastic pop music and it can be enjoyed as just that, without needing to read into things all the time. I would lose respect for Morrissey though; and I think he would lose a lot of fans.

My gut instinct is no, because everything he'd have told us would have been a lie.
But... I'd probably listen to it behind closed doors, just like gary glitter's fans probably do.

Music and words have a life on their own. Of course someone creates them, but even if the person was a paedophile or a killer those words would still be valid, cos they're universal in a way, although only Moz can write that way.

So, yes, I would still listen to his music. As for respect and admiration, it wouldn't be the same anymore.

This is a horrible thread and i hope Morrissey doesn't read it.Its almost like saying "what if Moz was a rapist" etc.:(

Gary glitter is a disgusting vile pervert where as Morrissey is a lovely human being.

I could never like anyone that had such inclinations.To do so would give paedophilia credibility.

This is a horrible thread and i hope Morrissey doesn't read it.Its almost like saying "what if Moz was a rapist" etc.:(

Gary glitter is a disgusting vile pervert where as Morrissey is a lovely human being.

I could never like anyone that had such inclinations.To do so would give paedophilia credibility.

No one is speculating he is... it's purely theoretically.

I would still listen to his music, because honestly, I can't even fathom not ever NOT listening to it. But I wouldn't be able to freely enjoy the music in the same joyful way. It would be tarnished. My respect for the man would sadly go away. :(

Last edited:
Can you imagine… like Moz fans don’t get enough grief as it is… listening to a convicted pedophile’s music?! :eek:

People still listen to Sid Vicious' music and he apparently murdered his girlfriend.

Actually the question, far-fetched as it is, has some basis, however unfounded in fact-- in '84 The Smiths were attacked by The Sun for allegedly paedophiliac lyrics. You might have asked then.

Not that it makes the question any less ridiculous. :rolleyes:

To write the words Morrissey and paedophile in the same sentence is a crime in itself. Answering the question, yes, I would still listen. I think these people are sick and I consider paedophilia an extremely serious mental illness as well as a crime.

To write the words Morrissey and paedophile in the same sentence is a crime in itself. Answering the question, yes, I would still listen. I think these people are sick and I consider paedophilia an extremely serious mental illness as well as a crime.

you're right

To even be accused is enough to damage a reputation badly. :(
It's impossible to see or hear a person the same way if you know they are guilty of such a crime.

The question could be - how bad would your hero's behavior have to be before you say "enough", whoever that was, or the gravity of the offence? How forgiving could you be?
There are many Michael Jackson fans who still argue there is no case to answer, though his conduct has been questionable and in some cases plainly inappropriate, to say the least.

People will forgive or deny according to the goodness of their heart, their distance from the events, their naivety and their need to believe. Could be religious leader, pop star, film actor, husband or uncle Tom.
We have threads on God/faith. Do you need to have faith in Morrissey?

Back
Top Bottom