Hull

patten

Hello,
I live in Belgium and I'm going on a mini cruise from Zeebrugge to Hull to celebrate my birthday next month.My wife and two teenagers will join me. We'll only be in Hull for 1 day and there'll be plenty of food on the ferry. I know some people from Hull are forum members. Can anyone suggest a pub in the town centre to have something to eat during the day?
Patrick

Hello,
I live in Belgium and I'm going on a mini cruise from Zeebrugge to Hull to celebrate my birthday next month.My wife and two teenagers will join me. We'll only be in Hull for 1 day and there'll be plenty of food on the ferry. I know some people from Hull are forum members. Can anyone suggest a pub in the town centre to have something to eat during the day?
Patrick

Can't remember when I last sat down for a meal in Hull city centre - these days, the foodie district is a short bus ride away on Princess Avenue. However, if you want a proper old English pub atmosphere, you could hit the Old Town and try the Black Boy on High Street or the White Harte on Silver Street.

Here's the Harte being featured on a ghostie programme:

And the Black Boy is a ghostie pub, too. :)

Have fun! :D

EDIT: PS: And yes, people, those are Hull accents!

Last edited by a moderator:
So who cares Kewpie you are such a bore.I must have a short memory.
Many thanks to the cat's mother for the info.

Thanks for your compliment.

You're such a polite charming man.

Last edited:
So who cares Kewpie you are such a bore.I must have a short memory.
Many thanks to the cat's mother for the info.

I've got a short memory, too; I knew I'd been asked about Hull before, but hadn't recalled who had asked me. Is this your second trip, then, or did the first one not come off?

PS: There's a good deli called Herbie's in the Carr Lane foyer of the Princes Key shopping centre. If it's good weather, grab a nice fat sarnie from there and eat it in Victora Square (on the steps of the statute, beneath which are some very beautiful public toilets, should nature call), or amongst the fishponds and wacky sculptures in Queens Gardens, beneath the gaze of William Wilberforce.... or you can even sit on the excavated foundations of the old city walls. Ferens art gallery used to have a decent caff but I don't know what it's like these days.

Oh, and beware the alarmingly huge public television set. WTF? Who on earth thought that was a good idea? :mad:

I've got a short memory, too; I knew I'd been asked about Hull before, but hadn't recalled who had asked me. Is this your second trip, then, or did the first one not come off?

PS: There's a good deli called Herbie's in the Carr Lane foyer of the Princes Key shopping centre. If it's good weather, grab a nice fat sarnie from there and eat it in Victora Square (on the steps of the statute, beneath which are some very beautiful public toilets, should nature call), or amongst the fishponds and wacky sculptures in Queens Gardens, beneath the gaze of William Wilberforce.... or you can even sit on the excavated foundations of the old city walls. Ferens art gallery used to have a decent caff but I don't know what it's like these days.

Oh, and beware the alarmingly huge public television set. WTF? Who on earth thought that was a good idea? :mad:

I love the way you've refered it as a "caff" great!

There is some really nice places to dine in Hull, Hitchcocks vegetarian resturant in the old town is nice, The Lamp also near Beverley Road is a nice quiet pub which sells really good quality food.

I love the way you've refered it as a "caff" great!

There is some really nice places to dine in Hull, Hitchcocks vegetarian resturant in the old town is nice, The Lamp also near Beverley Road is a nice quiet pub which sells really good quality food.

Is Cave Street chippy still good? I mean, once you've walked as far as the Lamp, you might as well have haddock or patty and chips and a bag of scraps and eat it in Pearsons Park. :D

Is Cave Street chippy still good? I mean, once you've walked as far as the Lamp, you might as well have haddock or patty and chips and a bag of scraps and eat it in Pearsons Park. :D

Cave Street fish shop is well known innit? My dad always goes on about Cave Street along with The Olive Tree, Harry Jacksons on Southcoats Lane is great as well.

La Perla is good as well.

Hull's not so bad is it?

I like it.

Cave Street fish shop is well known innit? My dad always goes on about Cave Street along with The Olive Tree, Harry Jacksons on Southcoats Lane is great as well.

La Perla is good as well.

Hull's not so bad is it?

I like it.

I moved out into the sticks in the late 80s and wouldn't want to live in a city now - mind you, I was living on Folkestone St so....:D I definitely appreciate the place more as a visitor than I did as a resident. And the place has improved a lot since then.

We used to do Pier Luigis quite a lot but I understand that's gone down the pan a bit. Cosa Nostra on Bev Rd were the yummiest pizzas ever! :horny:

Which bit are you from?

I moved out into the sticks in the late 80s and wouldn't want to live in a city now - mind you, I was living on Folkestone St so....:D I definitely appreciate the place more as a visitor than I did as a resident. And the place has improved a lot since then.

We used to do Pier Luigis quite a lot but I understand that's gone down the pan a bit. Cosa Nostra on Bev Rd were the yummiest pizzas ever! :horny:

Which bit are you from?

Well I live in Hedon, but I commute to town pretty much every weekday for college, Ah the ol' 77/76 bus!

I know what you mean about coming back to Hull when you've not been there for a while, I went to France this year and when I came back I really missed it, just seeing stuff like the Smith and Nephew factory and the Clarence Flour Mills just little things you don't see anywhere else.

There is also a great little pizza place as well on the italian stall in Hepworth Arcade, down on Whitefriargate, the fella who works there as well is a right laugh.

Thanks for all the info people. I did make it last time I asked for similar information. We 're going again cause we enjoy the mini cruise and Hull has plenty of shops to spend the day.

Thanks for all the info people. I did make it last time I asked for similar information. We 're going again cause we enjoy the mini cruise and Hull has plenty of shops to spend the day.

There's a Primark and a HUUUUGE Tesco now, too.

Have fun. :)

we call hull massachusetts "the armpit of massachusetts" i think i have said that before,but it always pops in my head when hull is mentioned,i hope the original hull is a better place.
hull ,mass is a horrid place.:p

Hello,
Patrick

"So this is Hull"...:) (housemartins fans may get that one)

Try the Grafton on Grafton Street.

That's off Newland Ave, Kiltie, not in the centre. And I'm not entirely sure it's still standing.

Can't you even indulge me when i'm trying to be windswept and interesting?..:p

Okay i saw it on a documentary about Paul Heaton..HAPPY now...:mad::)

BUMP!

It's great in Hull. I got potted orchids for £2 each at the knock-off fruit and veg stall on Holderness Road. The ladies who work in Boyes were wearing witch costumes and getting all animated about the sleet. And a scary-looking tattoed-skulled skinhead opened the door for me on the way out of the shop. :)

BUMP!

It's great in Hull. I got potted orchids for £2 each at the knock-off fruit and veg stall on Holderness Road. The ladies who work in Boyes were wearing witch costumes and getting all animated about the sleet. And a scary-looking tattoed-skulled skinhead opened the door for me on the way out of the shop. :)

Yes, Boyes on Holderness road! Why is Sparkles still open as well?

Tags
shit town
Back
Top Bottom