I'm upset with England right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Ibis

The Chicken of D.C.
Some random English person has once again gone out of his way to insult me because I'm fat. This wouldn't have happened in America.

I know I'll be attacked for this, but I'm fed up right now and I can't WAIT to get back to the U.S. Forget everything you've ever heard about the differences between Americans and the English. It's a load of crap!

I see it all the time on solo. The English often attack Americans on here. Well, you're wrong. No, two weeks in England doesn't make me an expert, but I think I have a pretty good overview.

Myth #1 - Americans are loud and obnoxious while English people are polite and speak in hushed tones.

HA! The English are LOUD! In the grocery stores here there are roaming gaggles of teens who laugh and talk and generally make mayhem. I've been in three grocery stores now (because my husband has a fascination with the strange foods here) and in two of these stores this has been the case.

Also, people talk on their cell phones ("f***in' this" "f***in' that") really loudly in public and they don't care who they annoy.

Myth #2 - Americans are coarse while the English are polite and genteel.

Would an American say "c***" or "f***" while having a loud public conversation? Not likely. Over here it doesn't get a second glance.

I've yet to meet anyone here that seems more polite than the average American. In fact, in America, if you catch someone's eye by accident, you'll usually smile and they'll smile and then you'll look away. Here, they just look away quickly. It seems rude to me.

Myth #3 - Americans have a crappy education system, but the English know what they're doing and turn out intelligent and fully educated people who know multiple languages and can do algebra easily.

I've seen more roving packs of barely intelligible low-class teens in the two weeks that I've been here than in months of being in D.C. And I used to live right in South East D.C!

I shopped in Camden and found myself around a lot of teens who seemed very middle class and average. They were every bit as juvenile and twitty as any random group of American teens. I was also around a lot of teens at the Boosh show. These teens were presumably a bit more intelligent than your average teen since their senses of humor must be fairly developed. Still, they seemed much like American teens.

Myth #4 - Americans are superficial and addicted to tabloid magazines, celebrity lives and the pursuit of physical beauty.

From what I have seen, England is entirely too wrapped up in such things. It doesn't compare. It's totally opposite to the myth. England is all about celebrities and other superficial things. The obsession with weight here is just insane. I thought it was bad in America, but here it's gone from an obsession to a neurosis. They can't stop talking about weight. (Meanwhile they are eating more candy than another other nation on earth while making fun of Americans for their piggishness.) I overheard two conversations while walking on one London block. The first conversation snippet I heard: She must have gained at least twenty since I last saw her! The second snippet from an entirely different conversation: ...been gaining weight and...

Myth #5 - Americans are arrogant.

This one would be funny if I was in any kind of mood to find it humorous at all. What's more arrogant than proclaiming yourselves better than an entire country just based on hearsay and steretypes? English people do this all the time. (I'm sure lots of solo archives could be wrangled up if someone were in the mood to do so.) America is fascinated with the rest of the world. We love nothing more than to encounter someone with a foreign accent. Especially an English accent. We've always loved the English and we've always been good to the English.

Myth #6 - Americans are bullies.

I'm finding the opposite to be true. I'm not having a good time here anymore and it's all because I'm terrified of being insulted once again. In America it's not acceptable to be mean to random people on the street. It doesn't happen that often. Once in a while it will, but not enough that you have to live in fear of it if you're fat (or outside the norm in any other way).

Myth # 7 - Americans are fat because they are lazy and eat huge portions of fast food and sweets.

Oh. My. God. We might be a little fatter than the English, but it has very little to do with these things. Pub food is basically fried dough with sausages thrown in there somewhere. The portions are every bit as large as American portions, by the way. Yes, there are a few chain restaurants who will give you outrageously enormous portions, but this isn't the norm and it's often a gimmick. Also, when served these huge portions we eat a bit of it and then take the rest home with us for lunch the next day. We're not idiots who will eat everything that's put in front of us anymore than you are.

The candy is everywhere. I've found it difficult to get a healthy meal while here. The only way I can eat healthy here is to go to vegetarian/organic restaurants or the grocery store and buy prepackaged sandwiches and salads, which do seem fairly healthy and nutritious.

Don't start with me about my fat. I have horrible medical issues that you know nothing about and that will kill me one day and this (and the treatments for my disorders) are what has made this so. I eat the diet of a near-anorexic, so don't EVEN start with me.

PLUS, on average, you all drink WAYYYYY more than we Americans do. Somehow that kind of gluttony is acceptable since it doesn't always manifest in having extra flesh.

So, yeah. I'm disgusted at the moment. I've felt very unwelcome here. There are some wonderful things about England, but not enough to make up for the unpleasantness I've had to deal with here. This has been an eye-opener.

I apologize to my English friends. I don't include you in this at all. I'm just very upset right now and I needed to type this up while I'm still feeling angry. There is a nasty segment of every population, I've found. All my life I have assumed that English people are partly right for criticizing America. I'm not at all happy with America at the moment and I was likely to join in with the anger-fest, but not anymore. America is the world's scapegoat at the moment. I'm really tired of it.

Some random English person has once again gone out of his way to insult me because I'm fat. This wouldn't have happened in America.

I know I'll be attacked for this, but I'm fed up right now and I can't WAIT to get back to the U.S. Forget everything you've ever heard about the differences between Americans and the English. It's a load of crap!

I see it all the time on solo. The English often attack Americans on here. Well, you're wrong. No, two weeks in England doesn't make me an expert, but I think I have a pretty good overview.

Myth #1 - Americans are loud and obnoxious while English people are polite and speak in hushed tones.

HA! The English are LOUD! In the grocery stores here there are roaming gaggles of teens who laugh and talk and generally make mayhem. I've been in three grocery stores now (because my husband has a fascination with the strange foods here) and in two of these stores this has been the case.

Also, people talk on their cell phones ("f***in' this" "f***in' that") really loudly in public and they don't care who they annoy.

Would an American say "c***" or "f***" while having a loud public conversation? Not likely. Over here it doesn't get a second glance.

I've yet to meet anyone here that seems more polite than the average American. In fact, in America, if you catch someone's eye by accident, you'll usually smile and they'll smile and then you'll look away. Here, they just look away quickly. It seems rude to me.

Myth #3 - Americans have a crappy education system, but the English know what they're doing and turn out intelligent and fully educated people who know multiple languages and can do algebra easily.

I've seen more roving packs of barely intelligible low-class teens in the two weeks that I've been here than in months of being in D.C. And I used to live right in South East D.C!

I shopped in Camden and found myself around a lot of teens who seemed very middle class and average. They were every bit as juvenile and twitty as any random group of American teens. I was also around a lot of teens at the Boosh show. These teens were presumably a bit more intelligent than your average teen since their senses of humor must be fairly developed. Still, they seemed much like American teens.

Myth #4 - Americans are superficial and addicted to tabloid magazines, celebrity lives and the pursuit of physical beauty.

From what I have seen, England is entirely too wrapped up in such things. It doesn't compare. It's totally opposite to the myth. England is all about celebrities and other superficial things. The obsession with weight here is just insane. I thought it was bad in America, but here it's gone from an obsession to a neurosis. They can't stop talking about weight. (Meanwhile they are eating more candy than another other nation on earth while making fun of Americans for their piggishness.) I overheard two conversations while walking on one London block. The first conversation snippet I heard: She must have gained at least twenty since I last saw her! The second snippet from an entirely different conversation: ...been gaining weight and...

This one would be funny if I was in any kind of mood to find it humorous at all. What's more arrogant than proclaiming yourselves better than an entire country just based on hearsay and steretypes? English people do this all the time. (I'm sure lots of solo archives could be wrangled up if someone were in the mood to do so.) America is fascinated with the rest of the world. We love nothing more than to encounter someone with a foreign accent. Especially an English accent. We've always loved the English and we've always been good to the English.

I'm finding the opposite to be true. I'm not having a good time here anymore and it's all because I'm terrified of being insulted once again. In America it's not acceptable to be mean to random people on the street. It doesn't happen that often. Once in a while it will, but not enough that you have to live in fear of it if you're fat (or outside the norm in any other way).

Myth # 7 - Americans are fat because they are lazy and eat huge portions of fast food and sweets.

Oh. My. God. We might be a little fatter than the English, but it has very little to do with these things. Pub food is basically fried dough with sausages thrown in there somewhere. The portions are every bit as large as American portions, by the way. Yes, there are a few chain restaurants who will give you outrageously enormous portions, but this isn't the norm and it's often a gimmick. Also, when served these huge portions we eat a bit of it and then take the rest home with us for lunch the next day. We're not idiots who will eat everything that's put in front of us anymore than you are.

The candy is everywhere. I've found it difficult to get a healthy meal while here. The only way I can eat healthy here is to go to vegetarian/organic restaurants or the grocery store and buy prepackaged sandwiches and salads, which do seem fairly healthy and nutritious.

Don't start with me about my fat. I have horrible medical issues that you know nothing about and that will kill me one day and this (and the treatments for my disorders) are what has made this so. I eat the diet of a near-anorexic, so don't EVEN start with me.

PLUS, on average, you all drink WAYYYYY more than we Americans do. Somehow that kind of gluttony is acceptable since it doesn't always manifest in having extra flesh.

So, yeah. I'm disgusted at the moment. I've felt very unwelcome here. There are some wonderful things about England, but not enough to make up for the unpleasantness I've had to deal with here. This has been an eye-opener.

I apologize to my English friends. I don't include you in this at all. I'm just very upset right now and I needed to type this up while I'm still feeling angry. There is a nasty segment of every population, I've found. All my life I have assumed that English people are partly right for criticizing America. I'm not at all happy with America at the moment and I was likely to join in with the anger-fest, but not anymore. America is the world's scapegoat at the moment. I'm really tired of it.

Bravo! Well said.

Sorry you had to go through that.:(

When I see your picture, I don't see fat, I see a damn good looking lady.

We're not all nasty over here.

I'll get a beer and say cheers for you.;)

Peter

*Hugs*

:( It's ashame you feel this way about here. Sadly the majority of poeple are horrible, rude crude etc. Crashing bores.

I hope these people didn't ruin your trip .

ok, that was a totally justified and pretty accurate rant, so sad that you've let some mindless idiots spoil your trip, i thought you were better/stronger than that. :(

ok, that was a totally justified and pretty accurate rant, so sad that you've let some mindless idiots spoil your trip, i thought you were better/stronger than that. :(

No, I'm not. Not at all. And if I were I would be a hardass... and I don't want that for myself.

You get pro's and con's everywhere. You ain't been up north, we're all nice up here :D (I don't class Manchester as north, it's midlands to me ;))
I'm glad I live nearer Scotland (some say IN Scotland :rolleyes:) than I do London.

Sorry your not having the best time, I hated it when I went there :(

shut up, fatso.

*Hugs*

:( It's ashame you feel this way about here. Sadly the majority of poeple are horrible, rude crude etc. Crashing bores.

I hope these people didn't ruin your trip .

They kinda did. We'll see how it settles into my mind, but right now I'm feeling really sad and really angry.

I don't include you in this. I don't include any of you who have been dear to me on solo. I promise.

Most of your pre-conceived notions of British people are stereotypes based on books and films that have little if anything to do with real life. Society often has a hostile attitude to people who are different, fat people are often included in that category. Its wrong, but it happens in EVERY country, including your own, so please take your self-righteous prattle back to the US and stop taking everything so seriously. :rolleyes:

When I see your picture, I don't see fat, I see a damn good looking lady.

We're not all nasty over here.

I'll get a beer and say cheers for you.;)

Peter

Thank you, dearie. You've always been polite, sweet, gentlemanly and kind in all ways. I know it's not all of you. It's just that it's enough of you that it's made me upset. :[

*hug*

Correct me if i'm wrong but you are judging an entire country and its people based on a visit to two of its cities.That's like me going to the deep south or whever it is in America you hoard all your religious nuts and tarnishing them with all the same brush.

Our inner cities are full of swearing loud mouthed teenagers but as I've said before London is not the world...or England.

Your comments are very narrow minded.I'm sure all societies have their good and bad but you should travel further afield before insulting an entire country.

Most of your pre-conceived notions of British people are stereotypes based on books and films that have little if anything to do with real life. Society often has a hostile attitude to people who are different, fat people are often included in that category. Its wrong, but it happens in EVERY country, including your own, so please take your self-righteous prattle back to the US and stop taking everything so seriously. :rolleyes:

My pre-conceived notions of British people WERE stereotypes based on books and films that have anything to do with real life! You are correct. And those erroneous stereotypes were that most you were the best and most interesting people on the planet.

Yes, I am taking myself back to the U.S. Yes I am.

What's more arrogant than proclaiming yourselves better than an entire country just based on hearsay and steretypes?

Which is exactly what you've just done.

I forgot to say being called fat is really tame...I've been called much worse but I think, in England we're all so used to it. Rather sad but true. I just laugh it off.

My pre-conceived notions of British people WERE stereotypes based on books and films that have anything to do with real life! You are correct. And those erroneous stereotypes were that most you were the best and most interesting people on the planet.
Yes, I am taking myself back to the U.S. Yes I am.

No, they weren't. You came to England expecting it to be a nation of foppish, genteel Hugh Grant clones, tea and cakes and polite pitter-patter, a would-be Morrissey on every corner, and you were disappointed :rolleyes:

there are assholes everywhere, if one can't handle it i would say not to go anywhere.or maybe bora bora,they seem nice there.

Of course not, it's the fattest country in the world. And besides, nobody in America has every insulted anyone for being fat. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom