Theory about Moz Israel shows and Iran

winghead

I have been a Smiths/Morrissey fan for years, and I also have an Israeli wife and lots of family there. I never like to think about the politics of my favorite artists, and since nothing was ever mentioned I never thought about Moz's feelings toward Israel. Then at some point last year it was annouced that he wanted to play in Iran...the country that wont rest until every Jew is wiped off of the map. I swore Morrissey off completely because of this. flash forward a few months, Iran is not happening, and he's now painting Israel on his arm, playing shows in Tel-Aviv and saying God bless Israel (does Moz even believe in God?)

My theory was that he was only playing there to piss off the Iranian government for not letting him play there. Playing in Iran's most hated country seemed like a piss off to me.

Then I watched the shows. I watched as he held up a sign saying "you are the light that never goes out". and that he seemed genuinely happy to be playing there and I wasn't sure again.

If anyone knows more about this, had heard any interviews about Israel, and about Iran I would love to know the truth. Its weird that he would boycott Canada over seals but play in a country that wants to bomb the entire Western world.

Oy vey. M'fager.

I have been a Smiths/Morrissey fan for years, and I also have an Israeli wife and lots of family there. I never like to think about the politics of my favorite artists, and since nothing was ever mentioned I never thought about Moz's feelings toward Israel. Then at some point last year it was annouced that he wanted to play in Iran...the country that wont rest until every Jew is wiped off of the map. I swore Morrissey off completely because of this. flash forward a few months, Iran is not happening, and he's now painting Israel on his arm, playing shows in Tel-Aviv and saying God bless Israel (does Moz even believe in God?)

My theory was that he was only playing there to piss off the Iranian government for not letting him play there. Playing in Iran's most hated country seemed like a piss off to me.

Then I watched the shows. I watched as he held up a sign saying "you are the light that never goes out". and that he seemed genuinely happy to be playing there and I wasn't sure again.

If anyone knows more about this, had heard any interviews about Israel, and about Iran I would love to know the truth. Its weird that he would boycott Canada over seals but play in a country that wants to bomb the entire Western world.

Please read relevant threads on Tour forum.

Regarding Morrissey's boycott of Canada is different issue to Isalael/Iran politics.
Morrissey decided to support PETA and still happy to follow their agenda.
Thank you.

Last edited:
He'll probably go to canada again before he comes back to Australia :(

but I think you're probably reading a bit too much into it. Like you said Morrissey seemed happy playing there, if he had his way he probably would have liked to have played in Israel and then go on to do a show in Iran or vice versa being in the same part of the world but for whatever reason that wasn't to be. I don't think he would plan single show in a country far away from home just to piss off another country.

Canada

so do you think he'll ever come to Canada again?

When PETA stops the protest Morrissey might consider to play in Canada again.

I honestly dislike someone like you (lazy journo or media jobby) comes here to post a thread asking same old question.

it just seems weird that he would want to play a country that wants all the people in the country he just played in dead

Isn't that just like saying that living in America is living in a country where all the people wanted to have iraq invaded. I'm sure not every iranian on the street shares the same views as their government, as we all know a government is not always the best way to judge the feelings of a nation. That being said, it sucks Moz won't visit Canada, punishing and depriving Canadian fans for the actions of their government is kinda stupid.

The point of playing Iran and Israel is that it was not a political gesture. He didn't view playing either country as a sign of support of one government or a gesture of dislike for the other. He wanted to connect with fans in a nonpolitical way, since he probably assumes-- rightly or wrongly-- that the citizens of Iran and Israel don't actually want to kill each other.

It's true he boycotted Canada because of the hunting there, an act which was political in nature. In his defense, he may have considered that he had played Canada before and that hardcore Canadian fans could travel south to see him in the American Northeast. On the other hand, the gigs in Iran and Israel were once in a lifetime opportunities to play for audiences that don't normally get to see artists like him.

But yes, he was being inconsistent. Welcome to Morrissey Land.

Re: Canada

When PETA stops the protest Morrissey might consider to play in Canada again.

I honestly dislike someone like you (lazy journo or media jobby) comes here to post a thread asking same old question.

SERIOUSLY...give it up, the crusade is over, no one else is that bothered about posts that are similar to others.

It's going to happen and you have'nt managed to end it in 15,000 odd posts so maybe you should give up the ghost?

Nothing against you, just it kills threads

What a wonderful attitude for a moderator to have towards a new poster. Way to make people feel welcome.

SERIOUSLY...give it up, the crusade is over, no one else is that bothered about posts that are similar to others.

It's going to happen and you have'nt managed to end it in 15,000 odd posts so maybe you should give up the ghost?

Nothing against you, just it kills threads

So did you find the grail yet?

no not yet, think i may have thrown it out with last weeks rubbish by mistake...

Have you stopped referring to yourself in the third person yet?

Apparently not.

no not yet, think i may have thrown it out with last weeks rubbish by mistake...

Actually now that I think about it, that was a mistake. Isn't that cup recyclable?

Tsk, tsk. Green bin, please. :)

Maybe you can't have ties to either country to view it with a clear head. Like morrissey or others here. Iran is full of people too. I';m sure there is some demand there for morrissey since he tought about playing there. A "with us or against us" mentality just creates more war and intolerance--Viva Hate? you have your reasons to hate Iranians i guess. Good luck with peace in the middle east I guess. :rolleyes:

A "with us or against us" mentality just creates more war and intolerance--Viva Hate? you have your reasons to hate Iranians i guess. Good luck with peace in the middle east I guess. :rolleyes:

what great insight you have.

Back
Top Bottom