Morrissey & Montgomery Clift

Assassin

I've never seen anything about this on here, but has Morrissey ever talked much in the past about the actor Montgomery Clift?

I think he's tremendous and far superior to Dean, who himself, tried to replicate Monty's style on screen. He had a similar look and tone of voice. He also possesed that same affectionate and sensitive demeanour which was also mixed with a strong, masculine presence.

I read the first few pages of 'James Dean is not dead', and can't help but feel that most of it could easily been substituted for Montgomery Clift.

Any info?

Thanks.

Last edited:
He has, the reason i heard of Clift first was because of this actor being mentioned. I don't where, but is was in an interview or something, but don't quote me on that.

Now i have the majority of his films on video or DVD. Also several books.

Hmmm, Morrissey seems prefer James Dean rather than Monty Clift.

When I posted a thread photographer Mick Rock who complimented comparing Morrissey and Marlon Brando, someone said Morrissey didn't like Brando. :(

Hmmm, Morrissey seems prefer James Dean rather than Monty Clift.

When I posted a thread photographer Mick Rock who...(
snogged Johnny Marr? :sick:

Well I'd be interested to hear his views on that. I really like Dean but to me Clfit was in better films and he was a better actor.

Agreed. But in the appearance department, Jimmy takes the cake. :D

Well I'd be interested to hear his views on that. I really like Dean but to me Clfit was in better films and he was a better actor.

Yep, most of us agree that Clift is a better actor.
However, Morrissey'd argue that Dean only completed 3 films which is unfair to compare with someone who had longer career.

Morrissey called Brando a "slob" :D

But I think he doesn't like him because people (quite rightly) accuse Dean of copying Brando.

I used to have a serious fixation on James Dean. I've visited his grave twice. Brando was the original of the method actors, Dean and Clift did copy him and were obviously massively influenced by him. They weren't bad though, were they?

Hmmm...some people claim that they read Morrissey's comment on Clift in his interview, but no one has been confirmed it.

I don't recall Morrissey's comment on Clift.

didnt morrissey say that he wasnt so keen on deans acting his obsession was more on what he represented

Morrissey, Smash Hits, June 21, 1984

"I saw Rebel Without A Cause quite by accident when I was about 6. I was entirely enveloped. I did research about him and it was like unearthing Tutankhamun's tomb. His entire life seemed so magnificently perfect. What he did on film didn't stir me that much but as a person he was immensely valuable. Everything from his birth in a farming town to coming to New York, breaking into film and finding he didn't really want it when he had enormous success. At school it was an absolute drawback because nobody really cared about him. If they did, it was only in a synthetic rock and roll way. Nobody had a passion for him as I did - for that constant uneasiness with life. Even though he was making enormous strides with his craft, he was still incredibly miserable and obviously doomed. Which is exactly the quality Oscar Wilde had. That kind of mystical knowledge that there is something incredibly black around the corner. People who feel this are quite special and always end up in quite a mangled mess."

Morrissey, Hot Press May 4, 1984

On James Dean: "It's not his acting, actually I think he was a bit of a ham. I get quite embarrassed when I see those films. But I'm fascinated by the way he seemed to represent his time and his generation"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so hoping the full thread title would be "Morrissey & Montgomery Burns" when I clicked on this thread from the "Last Post" thing. oh well.

Morrissey, Smash Hits, June 21, 1984

"I saw Rebel Without A Cause quite by accident when I was about 6. I was entirely enveloped. I did research about him and it was like unearthing Tutankhamun's tomb. His entire life seemed so magnificently perfect. What he did on film didn't stir me that much but as a person he was immensely valuable. Everything from his birth in a farming town to coming to New York, breaking into film and finding he didn't really want it when he had enormous success. At school it was an absolute drawback because nobody really cared about him. If they did, it was only in a synthetic rock and roll way. Nobody had a passion for him as I did - for that constant uneasiness with life. Even though he was making enormous strides with his craft, he was still incredibly miserable and obviously doomed. Which is exactly the quality Oscar Wilde had. That kind of mystical knowledge that there is something incredibly black around the corner. People who feel this are quite special and always end up in quite a mangled mess."

On James Dean: "It's not his acting, actually I think he was a bit of a ham. I get quite embarrassed when I see those films. But I'm fascinated by the way he seemed to represent his time and his generation"

that'll be the one

I really enjoyed Patricia Bosworths biography on Clift. I find Clifts life and career absolutley fascinating.

People who feel this are quite special and always end up in quite a mangled mess."

I like that quote. *sigh* Monty Clift, JD... they just don't make 'em like they used to. :rolleyes:

Everybody say, "Is he all right?" and everybody say, "What's he like?"
And everybody say, "He sure look funny." That's...Montgomery Clift, honey!

Tags
drool
Back
Top Bottom